Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2023, 01:09 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by lv05evo
If you get one, post up what you think should be upgraded. I like reading multiple points of view on that platform.
They don't need much. I think we threw on some aftermarket shocks and a sway bar. It was otherwise perfect as is.

Last edited by kaj; Mar 15, 2023 at 08:44 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 02:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
If they don't need much. I think we threw on some aftermarket shocks and a sway bar. It was otherwise perfect as is.
Things change when you're on 315's
Old Mar 15, 2023, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by LetsGetThisDone
Does it?

Old Mar 15, 2023, 08:21 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Man, part of me lately is really wanting a supra. Im to busy to build something fun and streetable and the Supra needs so little it seems.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 08:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Does it?

Building a competitive car is a package. The Supra may be good, better than an Evo, but it's still no racecar. There's always small things to change/develop where an OEM compromised for cost, NVH, durability, etc.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Man, part of me lately is really wanting a supra. Im to busy to build something fun and streetable and the Supra needs so little it seems.
Do it!!!!!

Building a competitive car is a package. The Supra may be good, better than an Evo, but it's still no racecar. There's always small things to change/develop where an OEM compromised for cost, NVH, durability, etc.
I get you. I have done all the "small things" that make all the difference. I already put in more to my Supra than I did with my evo. It's seriously all the little things that have added up.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 08:45 PM
kaj

Ah. I think we're talking about different cars.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 09:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Do it!!!!!I get you. I have done all the "small things" that make all the difference. I already put in more to my Supra than I did with my evo. It's seriously all the little things that have added up.
My Evo got a lot of the little things, some of them I found on this board, som I came up with myself, some updating the car to be an Evo9 (adding mivec). But the platform really is dying. And I don't want to campaign a racecar that you can't get simple yet vital parts for anymore. We still have or 950whp Evo8 for shows and goofing off. Moving on to something new for tel racecar stuff.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 10:09 PM
EvoM Guru

To me the struggle is the parts that are VERY hard to get. Like you trash a mivec head... Well that sucks. Or even the PS pump or Alternator. I paid a GRIP for an OE PS pump last year. I love my Evo, it'll never go away. But my business is going to need another platform at some point.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 07:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
To me the struggle is the parts that are VERY hard to get. Like you trash a mivec head... Well that sucks. Or even the PS pump or Alternator. I paid a GRIP for an OE PS pump last year. I love my Evo, it'll never go away. But my business is going to need another platform at some point.
I came to terms with this very shortly after starting Wunderladen. I'll always have my evo and because of that we'll offer evo parts as long as we're not digging a hole to do it, but the platform isn't viable to support a company, which is why we do 10th/11th gen Civic stuff as the primary focus now.

If I had more cash up front I'd have probably gone with a sportier out of the gate car but I'm still happy we went this route to start. Next may be the BRZ/86 platform, but it's a much harder platform to make a name in, the Civic was a clear choice because it's an under supported aftermarket and Honda has made literally over a million of those cars.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 10:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Rock auto has an AC Delco alternator that works well. Just loctite the case bolts before install.
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Mar 20, 2023)
Old Mar 16, 2023, 09:00 PM
kaj

I feel I got out of the "Evo as a race car" game just in time. I think if I were to wait, say another year, it's possible that a whole lot of other people would come to the same realization. At some point, it's hard to offload a car because people realize what we're understanding now.
Not trying to sound like a Debbie Downer, or anything. But I started looking into transmissions, transfer cases, some of the catastrophic-failure type consumables.
I didn't want to end up with a car that I could no longer take to the track and was now a 3000 lb paperweight.
Yes. I could find somebody to machine something, I guess. I could always those sequential in there, that theoretically uses a lot of generic parts that can be replaced. I love the car, but not at all costs.
It's an amazing platform and I enjoyed it immensely, but I have been nothing but happy with the new car. No regrets (coming from a die hard who never thought he would say anything remotely close to this).
Old Mar 16, 2023, 09:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Its not all doom and gloom. Nature finds a way and there are uncountable older cars still making it work without factory support.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 09:58 PM
kaj

Its not all doom and gloom. Nature finds a way and there are uncountable older cars still making it work without factory support.
​​​​​​Absolutely
Old Mar 16, 2023, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I feel I got out of the "Evo as a race car" game just in time. I think if I were to wait, say another year, it's possible that a whole lot of other people would come to the same realization. At some point, it's hard to offload a car because people realize what we're understanding now.
You're right kaj. In terms of "race car" you got out at the right time. To keep these cars reliable/race worthy for cheap. that time passed. Its getting to the point you really gota be a super dedicated enthusiast to the ct9a chassis to keep throwing money at making it competent enough to take other modern cars on the track. From a collector/investor standpoint. You gave it away for way too cheap haha

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?