Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2023, 08:54 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
I decided a year or so ago that I wont do anymore track time with my Evo. It'll just be an AutoX car until it gets retired and converted back into a street car.

Maybe one day Mitsu will get lead by an enthusiast again and they'll pull an RX7 on us with new production of old parts.
The following users liked this post:
kaj (Mar 17, 2023)
Old Mar 19, 2023, 10:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
yea its all the drivetrain and stock parts that are hard to get. even stuff mitsubishi do still make like crownwheel and pinions can be an 18 month wait. Which sort of forces you down the billet or aftermarket route. i think if your that far down the rabbit hole then youll be pretty insulated. although things like engine blocks are even becoming hard to find.

I do still want to do a supra build from a shell and put a different motor etc in it. Maybe one more good year in the evo try win a championship then sell it and start on a supra
Old Mar 19, 2023, 03:03 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Bee-Raddd
yea its all the drivetrain and stock parts that are hard to get. even stuff mitsubishi do still make like crownwheel and pinions can be an 18 month wait. Which sort of forces you down the billet or aftermarket route. i think if your that far down the rabbit hole then youll be pretty insulated. although things like engine blocks are even becoming hard to find.

I do still want to do a supra build from a shell and put a different motor etc in it. Maybe one more good year in the evo try win a championship then sell it and start on a supra
The engine is great. Why would you want to change it, as opposed to just doing a different platform?
Old Mar 19, 2023, 03:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
I decided a year or so ago that I wont do anymore track time with my Evo. It'll just be an AutoX car until it gets retired and converted back into a street car.

Maybe one day Mitsu will get lead by an enthusiast again and they'll pull an RX7 on us with new production of old parts.
Ironically, I think you're just likely to break something at an autocross as you are a track day. Especially if it's a pro solo and you're launching the car. Autocross is just as hard on the car, just in different ways.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 05:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
The engine is great. Why would you want to change it, as opposed to just doing a different platform?
simplicity and availability of aftermarket parts really.

Id want to put a traditional sequential or transaxle behind it and im thinking something like a 1jz/2jz or an LS etc.

Even possibly a k20 or 4g63.

That and i can pick up an empty damaged shell much cheaper than i can get a running car
Old Mar 19, 2023, 08:28 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by LetsGetThisDone
Ironically, I think you're just likely to break something at an autocross as you are a track day. Especially if it's a pro solo and you're launching the car. Autocross is just as hard on the car, just in different ways.
I only ever had parts respond questionably at Autocross. With the brutal starts stops and direction changes, it definitely seemed to be tougher on the car than a track day,
The only stress I saw on a car during track days is heat. And even that wasn't a problem; my car managed it perfectly.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Old Mar 21, 2023, 10:23 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Grimgrak
Interesting how in so many different disciplines with so many different platforms, So many of us have so many similarities in the way we build cars. Keep things simple for reliability, only change what you need, keep everything a small as possible and only as large as needed. Dude speaks my language!
Old Mar 28, 2023, 04:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Finally started tuning my Supra. It's making about 130whp over stock now after a couple days of tuning. I'm currently hitting up against a passive load limiter that is taking the top end down so as soon as I figure that out it should be making a bit more.

One thing is for sure, it sure as hell woke up. The car is a beast now and I probably have about 80whp more or so to go to get to where I want it, and this is just on 93 octane.

I am ramping the boost in so the tires don't just evaporate when I go WOT from low RPM. I also tuned the throttle mapping and it's SOOOOO much better, much more linear feel. There is also a table that loads up boost behind the throttle plate when it sees a shift in requested throttle to help make the car feel more NA when stock. It got a little surgey with the upgraded turbo so I reduced that as well. Car feels fantastic.

Here is a log if anyone is curious: https://datazap.me/u/razorlab/mysupr...1&zoom=121-268

@Lumpy Sticks The Verus splitter clears my driveway exit just fine, unless I don't go slow then it slams into the ground I found out. lol. I also almost annihilated it driving into a gas station. Need to learn it's height limits! hahah. The supra got attention before and I found out the last couple days, it REALLY gets attention now. Perfect for an introvert like me... 🙃

The following 3 users liked this post by RazorLab:
black E (Mar 28, 2023), Dallas J (Mar 28, 2023), RobbieOh (Mar 29, 2023)
Old Mar 29, 2023, 07:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by RazorLab
Finally started tuning my Supra. It's making about 130whp over stock now after a couple days of tuning. I'm currently hitting up against a passive load limiter that is taking the top end down so as soon as I figure that out it should be making a bit more.

One thing is for sure, it sure as hell woke up. The car is a beast now and I probably have about 80whp more or so to go to get to where I want it, and this is just on 93 octane.

I am ramping the boost in so the tires don't just evaporate when I go WOT from low RPM. I also tuned the throttle mapping and it's SOOOOO much better, much more linear feel. There is also a table that loads up boost behind the throttle plate when it sees a shift in requested throttle to help make the car feel more NA when stock. It got a little surgey with the upgraded turbo so I reduced that as well. Car feels fantastic.

Here is a log if anyone is curious: https://datazap.me/u/razorlab/mysupr...1&zoom=121-268

@Lumpy Sticks The Verus splitter clears my driveway exit just fine, unless I don't go slow then it slams into the ground I found out. lol. I also almost annihilated it driving into a gas station. Need to learn it's height limits! hahah. The supra got attention before and I found out the last couple days, it REALLY gets attention now. Perfect for an introvert like me... 🙃

Is the ECU's torque logic fairly simple to grasp coming from tuning Ecoboost stuff? I found ecoboost to be fairly easy once you found all the torque limiters
Old Mar 29, 2023, 08:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Is the ECU's torque logic fairly simple to grasp coming from tuning Ecoboost stuff? I found ecoboost to be fairly easy once you found all the torque limiters
So far it seems pretty straightforward. Requested torque turns into requested load turns into requested boost. Fuel tuning is set and forget basically. Boost dynamics is the most complicated but if you understand modern PID systems, it's logical. There is also compressor map tuning that needs to be done when you upgrade the turbo. The closest thing to an actual WGDC table is the compressor map table.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 09:12 AM
EvoM Guru

So far it seems pretty straightforward. Requested torque turns into requested load turns into requested boost. Fuel tuning is set and forget basically. Boost dynamics is the most complicated but if you understand modern PID systems, it's logical. There is also compressor map tuning that needs to be done when you upgrade the turbo. The closest thing to an actual WGDC table is the compressor map table.
Awesome, sounds similar then. Does it use the throttle as torque/boost control similar to Ford as well?
Old Mar 29, 2023, 09:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Awesome, sounds similar then. Does it use the throttle as torque/boost control similar to Ford as well?
Yup, you can see in that log above.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
Yep got to learn how to pull in to driveways now. Haha. The more sideways you go, the better! Good thing the splitter is strong and can take the hits. I have actually had to make a list of places I cant take the Supra because I cant make it in or out of the lots. I cant even drive it to one of my friends house any more cause he has speed bumps. Almost got stuck on one last time I tried! Just wait, if you get a diffuser, its 10 times worse! Mine is all chewed up already. But ya, adding the wing and splitter really add attention to the car, especially from all the ricer kids.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 10:41 AM
EvoM Guru

is the engine pretty open to be played with? or is it like most modern cars when it detects youve farted it goes into limp mode.
The following users liked this post:
rustykan (Mar 29, 2023)

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?