Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2023, 04:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
The Evo's purpose was to participate in homologated rally racing. The Zupra's purpose was to be a road course car so its no surprise that its faster on the road courses. If we're gonna be surprisedabout how much faster the Zupra is on the road course we must also acknowledge how much it would struggle on dirt/snow courses. Comparing the two is downright hilarious imo. I will give Mitsubishi credit where its due in that in built a car that overcame its setbacks through great engineerining and thats why Evo's are still somewhat competitive at tracks that it wasn't 100% designed for. There's a reason why z06's weren't compared back to back with Evo 8's back in the day.

Also, new cars are also tremendously more advanced. Aside from the chassis engineeringing, the B58 has direct injection that allows for high compression and along with its dual VVT and 8 speed transmission just outclasses even the most modified Evo's. The 4G63 and its available aftermarket drivetrains is a great combo for racing, but it has its limitations. Sure you can make anything fast these days with enough money, but you have to acknowledge that starting off with a new Zupra for the purpose of road racing with its purpose-built philosophy and decades of new tech offer a platform that is comparable to an Evo with about $100k of modifications baked in from the start.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 11:34 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Spooled_IX
The Evo's purpose was to participate in homologated rally racing. The Zupra's purpose was to be a road course car so its no surprise that its faster on the road courses. If we're gonna be surprisedabout how much faster the Zupra is on the road course we must also acknowledge how much it would struggle on dirt/snow courses. Comparing the two is downright hilarious imo. I will give Mitsubishi credit where its due in that in built a car that overcame its setbacks through great engineerining and thats why Evo's are still somewhat competitive at tracks that it wasn't 100% designed for. There's a reason why z06's weren't compared back to back with Evo 8's back in the day.

Also, new cars are also tremendously more advanced. Aside from the chassis engineeringing, the B58 has direct injection that allows for high compression and along with its dual VVT and 8 speed transmission just outclasses even the most modified Evo's. The 4G63 and its available aftermarket drivetrains is a great combo for racing, but it has its limitations. Sure you can make anything fast these days with enough money, but you have to acknowledge that starting off with a new Zupra for the purpose of road racing with its purpose-built philosophy and decades of new tech offer a platform that is comparable to an Evo with about $100k of modifications baked in from the start.
Tell that to the WTAC guys. Oh and the guys at Professional Awesome.
They seem to be doing well on road courses.
I do believe being rally-bred is why they do so well at Autocross.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 07:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Tell that to the WTAC guys. Oh and the guys at Professional Awesome.
They seem to be doing well on road courses.
I do believe being rally-bred is why they do so well at Autocross.
FWIW it's worth, at COTA, the Corvettes beat the Lyfe GTR and I don't think Pro Aweosme was there.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 07:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Grimgrak
Well for ****s and giggles the new m2 is 3 seconds faster on a 90 second track than a mkv supra. Both stock.
You referring to Jackie Ding's post?

It has about 100 more HP, but also weighs more. Slightly bigger front tires help.

I'm taking those numbers with a grain of salt because he bought it as a new platform to develop for. There's an incentive to hype it up and generate more interest.

Still a fast car in stock form. Those extra 400lbs are not insignificant, though.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 08:49 PM
kaj

Plus... What kind of "track" is 90 seconds?
Old Apr 22, 2023, 09:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
To be fair ("tooo beeeee faaaaairrrrrr"), the Evo was also constantly iterated on with professional race teams and is why you see so many changes especially between 4 and 6.5. For a crap can its remarkable.
nice Letterkenny reference

Originally Posted by kaj
pretty sure he's talking about this
Old Apr 22, 2023, 10:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
A lot?

1:30 would be a good amount of tracks. Lime Rock, one of the oldest and famous tracks in the USA, 50-60 secs is a fast lap time.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 10:26 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by RazorLab
A lot?

1:30 would be a good amount of tracks. Lime Rock, one of the oldest and famous tracks in the USA, 50-60 secs is a fast lap time.
That's crazy. Tsukuba style.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 10:31 AM
EvoM Guru

First track day this season and first with the new aero. Well, I had Lime Rock last week but it rained all day so that doesn't count.

I dropped 2 secs off last seasons PB easy. Aero is kind of a mind F*ck. The car still has a ton more in it, I just didn't have my head 100% in the aero game yet. Almost every corner it would help I was chickening out, but it's what I expected for the first day out with it. Super stoked for the new potential of the car.

I also couldn't run my 20psi map. I tried in the first session but kept going into limp mode so I ran a 17psi map and it was solid all day. Tuning is a work in process.

The following users liked this post:
deylag (May 2, 2023)
Old Apr 23, 2023, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
That's crazy. Tsukuba style.
Streets of willow is in 3 weeks if you want to do some 90 second laps. I'm going to try to make it out for the Saturday portion of it.

@RazorLab the aero is awesome! It took me until my 3rd session to really get it down and I'm sure I was still going too slow. I took my buddy for a ride for a session and his mind was blown, although he is coming from a Veloster n with good tires.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 11:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks

@RazorLab the aero is awesome! It took me until my 3rd session to really get it down and I'm sure I was still going too slow. I took my buddy for a ride for a session and his mind was blown, although he is coming from a Veloster n with good tires.
Yea, it's like a totally different car now. I had a big smile on my face after every session. Can't wait for more track days to get more used to it.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 08:37 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Streets of willow is in 3 weeks if you want to do some 90 second laps. I'm going to try to make it out for the Saturday portion of it.

I'll be there on the 13th for Round 6. Disappointing event today. Turns out only the first three sessions count for lap times. My first session was canceled due to a car breaking down and bringing the session to a stop after the warm-up lap. Second session had 52 cars in it because, again a car broke, so they combined the next group with ours.
That left me one, entire session to learn the track and squeeze out my best lap time. I could only do will enough for third place.
Huge disappointment for all the work, money, and time it took to get out there.
Funny thing is, they had the award ceremony before my third session. Now somebody has to call up the previous guy that got third place and let him know he actually didn't. 😂
Old Apr 24, 2023, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Old Apr 24, 2023, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
By "purpose built" I meant that they started with a sports car in mind and built a chassis for it.

Mitsubishi took an econobox Lancer and worked miracles to turn it into something so fast.
Being rally bred, the evo started purpose built far before the supra.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 07:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by RallySport9
Being rally bred, the evo started purpose built far before the supra.
And I’d take the Evo over a Supra for rally any day.

But rally-bred is a compromise for the track.

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?