Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2023, 01:50 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
I placed an order for a ZL1 1lE back in April for MSRP. A couple of months of working with the dealer, and learning about the car / GM on the forums and I cancelled that order a few days ago.

Looks like I'll be joining you all in the Supra club. Gonna start talking to dealers in the next few days. Any advice? Should I try and get a 45th anniversary? I'm kinda digging the orange.
Mmmm..... Orange. My favorite.
Agreed that it will take you a while to find a MT car. Research a bit as some are reporting clutch issues. True/not or user error? Not sure, but prob good to check. Of course all OEM clutches let go at certain power levels, so there's that.
These things are really quick, so you may not find a need for more power for a while. I haven't had that itch in any way. Maybe if I bump a class for next season. In the mean time, I'm getting really good data on what a stock car can do on different courses. These cars are a lot of fun.
The following users liked this post:
Biggiesacks (Jun 22, 2023)
Old Jun 22, 2023, 01:54 PM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Thanks for the recs guys. I'm fine with waiting, at least I know there is a likely chance of getting a car if I do. The ZLE was a total crap shoot, and I wasn't expecting to have a car until potentially Q1/2 of next year ( if at all ).

I'm hoping these high interest rates help with demand a little bit too.

I really can't wait for that front lift feature to become popular in aftermarket suspension. Installing Ohlins lowered my evo a good bit, so I have learned to deal with it. I do plan on having distinct "street" and "track" setups, So hopefully I shouldn't have to compromise either too much.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 02:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
I haven't really had an issue with my aero yet but I kinda live out in the country now. I have had no issues with hotel parking lots, gas stations or anything when going to track days. That said, I don't use the Verus rear diffuser which basically everyone has clearance issues with.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
Mmmm..... Orange. My favorite.
Agreed that it will take you a while to find a MT car. Research a bit as some are reporting clutch issues. True/not or user error? Not sure, but prob good to check. Of course all OEM clutches let go at certain power levels, so there's that.
These things are really quick, so you may not find a need for more power for a while. I haven't had that itch in any way. Maybe if I bump a class for next season. In the mean time, I'm getting really good data on what a stock car can do on different courses. These cars are a lot of fun.
Another bonus to waiting, let the early adopters sort the issues, hopefully. Clutch stuff doesn't worry me too much, that could easily be user error issues. I'll look into it though, thanks for the heads up.

In the few videos / pictures out there the orange can look pretty different. I'd like to see it in person, but TBH it looked pretty good to me. I think it reminds me of my tomato* red mustang.

*I'm ashamed to admit I cannot recall the actual name of the color. It's pretty orange under the right lighting though.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 02:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Another bonus to waiting, let the early adopters sort the issues, hopefully. Clutch stuff doesn't worry me too much, that could easily be user error issues. I'll look into it though, thanks for the heads up.

In the few videos / pictures out there the orange can look pretty different. I'd like to see it in person, but TBH it looked pretty good to me. I think it reminds me of my tomato* red mustang.

*I'm ashamed to admit I cannot recall the actual name of the color. It's pretty orange under the right lighting though.
Yea the orange is dope if it's the same orange on the GT4 Evo, I believe it is.

Old Jun 22, 2023, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by RazorLab
I haven't really had an issue with my aero yet but I kinda live out in the country now. I have had no issues with hotel parking lots, gas stations or anything when going to track days. That said, I don't use the Verus rear diffuser which basically everyone has clearance issues with.
Lucky. I literally cant take my car anywhere without scraping (front or back). Every single gas station around, it scrapes. Some I cant even make it in. Granted, I live on the side of a mountain so everything is steep.

One of these days I will have someone take a video of me pulling out of works parking lot so you all can get a good laugh. I almost got stuck yesterday cause my rear wheel was like a foot off the ground and I didnt get a good run to coast down it.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 02:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Lucky. I literally cant take my car anywhere without scraping (front or back). Every single gas station around, it scrapes. Some I cant even make it in. Granted, I live on the side of a mountain so everything is steep.

One of these days I will have someone take a video of me pulling out of works parking lot so you all can get a good laugh. I almost got stuck yesterday cause my rear wheel was like a foot off the ground and I didnt get a good run to coast down it.
Exactly why I don't have the diffuser.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
Exactly why I don't have the diffuser.
The splitter is worse than the diffuser....
Old Jun 22, 2023, 08:16 PM
kaj

Y'all are definitely making it easier for me to not add aero to this car lol
At least until I can find a way to quick release the splitter.

Last edited by kaj; Jun 23, 2023 at 09:06 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 07:26 AM

New Orange is called "Mikan Blast"

Does Toyota sell those GT4 parts? That would be easy mode for a track car build (I think).
lv05evo (Jun 23, 2023)
Old Jun 23, 2023, 07:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Does Toyota sell those GT4 parts? That would be easy mode for a track car build (I think).
Unfortunately, they do not. Some replicas are coming to market though. I just picked up a GT4 hood vent replica…

The following 2 users liked this post by RazorLab:
Biggiesacks (Jun 23, 2023), RobbieOh (Jun 23, 2023)
Old Jun 23, 2023, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 142 Likes on 127 Posts
That orange is crisp!!
Old Jun 23, 2023, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
That Mikan Blast with the add ons is a nice looking car
Old Jun 23, 2023, 07:56 AM

Unfortunately, they do not. Some replicas are coming to market though. I just picked up a GT4 hood vent replica…
That's hilarious, I was literally looking at the hood when that question popped in my mind.

Sucks Toyota doesn't have a PN you can order.

How is toyota handling fixing these things? One of the biggest complaints / issues I saw over in Chevy world was getting parts and competent service on their cars was very difficult. A lot of supply chain shortages and lack of skilled technicians was leading to some very pissed off customers. Funny enough right as I was discovering this, there was a video that went out about a dude who couldn't get a dealer who could mount tires onto his z06 carbon wheels without them being damaged.

Obviously I expect more from Toyota based on their reputation, but this isn't only their car, so I'm curious what you guys have observed.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 09:10 AM
kaj

That's hilarious, I was literally looking at the hood when that question popped in my mind.

Sucks Toyota doesn't have a PN you can order.

How is toyota handling fixing these things? One of the biggest complaints / issues I saw over in Chevy world was getting parts and competent service on their cars was very difficult. A lot of supply chain shortages and lack of skilled technicians was leading to some very pissed off customers. Funny enough right as I was discovering this, there was a video that went out about a dude who couldn't get a dealer who could mount tires onto his z06 carbon wheels without them being damaged.

Obviously I expect more from Toyota based on their reputation, but this isn't only their car, so I'm curious what you guys have observed.
Since the Supra is a Toyota/ BMW bastard, it can be hard to find competent technicians. But, I think that's with any specialty car.
When I had my 350R, I couldn't find anyone to change the tires on the carbon wheels also. I couldn't find oil filters. I couldn't find anyone who could diagnose some weird quirks the car had. It was a nightmare and 25% of the reason I sold the car.
I would expect more from Toyota and/or BMW technicians. Ford sucks.
Personally, I haven't had any problems with the car that required intervention. I guess that's also a good thing about Toyota/BMW lol
Aftermarket is moving along at a decent pace. There is a guy who has built a car that is ridiculously fast. Copying his car is more or less the easy button to doing it ourselves. We're able to take his ideas and branch off from there.
Biggiesacks (Jun 23, 2023)

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?