Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2023, 09:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
How is toyota handling fixing these things? One of the biggest complaints / issues I saw over in Chevy world was getting parts and competent service on their cars was very difficult. A lot of supply chain shortages and lack of skilled technicians was leading to some very pissed off customers. Funny enough right as I was discovering this, there was a video that went out about a dude who couldn't get a dealer who could mount tires onto his z06 carbon wheels without them being damaged.

Obviously I expect more from Toyota based on their reputation, but this isn't only their car, so I'm curious what you guys have observed.
Toyota doesn't know **** about these because they are BMW's. I heard even oil changes can be interesting at Toyota dealerships. I personally avoid dealers like the plague. Although I did get Covid so my track record of avoiding the plague isn't so good now.

Since you are an Evo guy, you'll be fine. Maintenance is actually very easy on this car.

Parts are easy because it basically shares everything with M240i/M340i/M440i/Z4 M40i and some of the more basic parts are shared across the whole BMW range.
The following users liked this post:
Biggiesacks (Jun 23, 2023)
Old Jun 23, 2023, 10:35 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Great info guys, thanks. Wrenching is one of my favorite hobbies and I expect to be doing all the work. The only time either of my evo's went into a dealer for anything was a seat rail replacement under warranty. That being said, if I go through the trouble of keeping the powertrain stock (for warranty), I kind of want to know I wont be tearing my hair out dealing with Toyota if it blows up. There have been reports of the Subaru engines blowing up in the 86, but it seems Toyota is taking care of it. At least I haven't seen any owner rage spilling onto the web over it.

It was 100% meta reasons I decided to pass on the Camaro. I wanted the car, but I didn't want to own a Chevy. Said another way, the car checked all the boxes, was the best bang for the buck, was aligned well with my goals, but I've been through this stuff enough to know the value of meta attributes you don't see on a spec sheet. Toyota owners, and importantly Supra owners, all seem really happy with the car / ownership experience.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 11:12 AM
EvoM Guru

It was 100% meta reasons I decided to pass on the Camaro. I wanted the car, but I didn't want to own a Chevy. Said another way, the car checked all the boxes, was the best bang for the buck, was aligned well with my goals, but I've been through this stuff enough to know the value of meta attributes you don't see on a spec sheet. Toyota owners, and importantly Supra owners, all seem really happy with the car / ownership experience.
I think you will also be very happy with the consumable difference between the Supra and the ZL1. All the ZL1 1LE track guys I talk to always complain about the rate of consumables.
The following users liked this post:
Biggiesacks (Jun 23, 2023)
Old Jun 23, 2023, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by RazorLab
I think you will also be very happy with the consumable difference between the Supra and the ZL1. All the ZL1 1LE track guys I talk to always complain about the rate of consumables.
Apparently the oil pump on the LT4 is one of those consumables

That's a great example of a meta attribute too. The cost of seat time is something I really should be looking at more critically.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 12:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Apparently the oil pump on the LT4 is one of those consumables

That's a great example of a meta attribute too. The cost of seat time is something I really should be looking at more critically.
Not to curse myself but my Supra has 24 track days under it's belt so far with zero issues. The last five with 500hp running E40 fuel.

1,040 laps, 25.3 hours of track time.

Here is my latest oil report after 22 track days:

Old Jun 23, 2023, 12:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Another carrot to get you wanting a Supra more. These cars are very capable. I'm swinging with the big boys at Lime Rock:

The following 3 users liked this post by RazorLab:
Biggiesacks (Jun 23, 2023), Jaraxle (Jun 23, 2023), RobbieOh (Jun 27, 2023)
Old Jun 23, 2023, 12:37 PM

Not to curse myself but my Supra has 24 track days under it's belt so far with zero issues. The last five with 500hp running E40 fuel.

1,040 laps, 25.3 hours of track time.

Here is my latest oil report after 22 track days:
Wow that is impressive. I was hoping the axis colab would result in something like "The ultimate driving machine made reliable". Sounds like they pulled that off.

I'm sure your experience and skill plays a large role in that reliability too.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 12:46 PM

Another carrot to get you wanting a Supra more. These cars are very capable. I'm swinging with the big boys at Lime Rock:

congrats dude! That is crazy, and I'm sure immensely satisfying.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 12:53 PM
EvoM Guru

congrats dude! That is crazy, and I'm sure immensely satisfying.
When I was shopping for a new car, I was seriously considering the Porsche GT4 but it was a lot of money and would have cost me a good amount to insure it. It is very satisfying to be quicker than them on track and so close to GT3RS's, which is my "dream" car.

I do think the Supra is the current best modern BMW for track use. Leave it to Toyota to make it great!

BTW, here is that GT3RS that is currently #1 on the leaderboard I posted above, he is on Hoosiers as well. My power goal with the Supra was to match a GT3RS acceleration wise. I was about to pit in but saw him coming up so decided to test to see if I met my goal. I let off after the first two corners because my tires were overheated but I look forward to dueling with him at an upcoming event.

Old Jun 23, 2023, 05:27 PM
kaj

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
I can confirm we are faster that Caymans and GT4s, depending on power level.

The following 2 users liked this post by kaj:
Biggiesacks (Jun 24, 2023), RazorLab (Jun 23, 2023)
Old Jun 24, 2023, 05:49 AM

When I was shopping for a new car, I was seriously considering the Porsche GT4 but it was a lot of money and would have cost me a good amount to insure it. It is very satisfying to be quicker than them on track and so close to GT3RS's, which is my "dream" car.

I do think the Supra is the current best modern BMW for track use. Leave it to Toyota to make it great!

BTW, here is that GT3RS that is currently #1 on the leaderboard I posted above, he is on Hoosiers as well. My power goal with the Supra was to match a GT3RS acceleration wise. I was about to pit in but saw him coming up so decided to test to see if I met my goal. I let off after the first two corners because my tires were overheated but I look forward to dueling with him at an upcoming event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbrVvdtdW5s
Originally Posted by kaj
I can confirm we are faster that Caymans and GT4s, depending on power level.

Very Impressive guys! I can't wait to get my hands on one of these things. Hopefully the manual trans is as accepting of more power as the auto.

Total left field thing I forgot to talk about earlier, but it was brought up. Hopefully this isn't anything you don't already know, but since you are helping me out so much with your knowledge, I wanted to share some nerdy battery chemistry knowledge incase it might be helpful:

Lithium batteries are awesome, and very powerful for very little weight, but there is a major gotcha that most people don't seem to know about. Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP / LiFePo4 )* batteries have a pretty wide operating temperature, but a much more narrow charging temperature. Basically you can't charge the battery if it is below freezing or it will be damaged / degraded. As you all surely know, as soon as you start the car, the alternator will begin feeding charge into the battery. So basically you can't run the car if the battery is below zero(C). Even if it's warmer in the morning, if the temp drops below freezing over night, there is a good chance the battery will remain pretty cold. Another scenario is you have the battery on a tender, it needs to not send charge to the battery if the battery temp is below zero. I haven't seen any chargers that have the capability of doing this. They might exist though, I haven't really looked for them. So you need to really be thinking about thermal management of the battery, otherwise it's going to die much much earlier then it's rated ( Usually 10k cycles ).
I'm not saying don't use them, but you need to kind of think of them like tires. Where you would have a summer battery and a winter battery.

* LFP are the most common cells used in 12v replacement applications because in series they get the closest to matching lead acid chemistry voltage. They are also safer and don't have the same thermal run away danger as other chemistries.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Jun 24, 2023 at 06:14 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 08:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Very Impressive guys! I can't wait to get my hands on one of these things. Hopefully the manual trans is as accepting of more power as the auto.

Total left field thing I forgot to talk about earlier, but it was brought up. Hopefully this isn't anything you don't already know, but since you are helping me out so much with your knowledge, I wanted to share some nerdy battery chemistry knowledge incase it might be helpful:

Lithium batteries are awesome, and very powerful for very little weight, but there is a major gotcha that most people don't seem to know about. Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP / LiFePo4 )* batteries have a pretty wide operating temperature, but a much more narrow charging temperature. Basically you can't charge the battery if it is below freezing or it will be damaged / degraded. As you all surely know, as soon as you start the car, the alternator will begin feeding charge into the battery. So basically you can't run the car if the battery is below zero(C). Even if it's warmer in the morning, if the temp drops below freezing over night, there is a good chance the battery will remain pretty cold. Another scenario is you have the battery on a tender, it needs to not send charge to the battery if the battery temp is below zero. I haven't seen any chargers that have the capability of doing this. They might exist though, I haven't really looked for them. So you need to really be thinking about thermal management of the battery, otherwise it's going to die much much earlier then it's rated ( Usually 10k cycles ).
I'm not saying don't use them, but you need to kind of think of them like tires. Where you would have a summer battery and a winter battery.

* LFP are the most common cells used in 12v replacement applications because in series they get the closest to matching lead acid chemistry voltage. They are also safer and don't have the same thermal run away danger as other chemistries.
My Supra stays in a temp controlled garage and I don’t drive it in the winter so no issue there. I actually haven’t installed my LiFePo4 battery yet as I was waiting to do that for when I install my rollbar, which I also haven’t done yet.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 10:03 AM

My Supra stays in a temp controlled garage and I don’t drive it in the winter so no issue there. I actually haven’t installed my LiFePo4 battery yet as I was waiting to do that for when I install my rollbar, which I also haven’t done yet.
Temp controlled garage, you're all good. Try and keep it in mind if you do a road trip etc.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 10:51 AM
kaj

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
The part of CA I live doesn't get that cold, so I have no experience with those types of battery problems.
Also, I probably wouldn't drive it in those conditions.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 11:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts

How do you access this on the garmin catalyst app? or are you using another garmin app to do this?

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?