Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2021, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Nice pick up, OP. I dont actually want to drive these newer cars because Im afraid its going to ruin the way I feel about the Evo's performance lol these newer cars are just on a different level.

Originally Posted by Dallas J
If your Evo is clean I would just keep it. Think of it as an investment
+1 I once had an FD that I sold when I blew the motor and I wish I had kept it. I could of just had it sit under a car cover for 7 years and it would have doubled in value by now.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 10:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
MotoIQ talked with him last year, https://motoiq.com/pretty-simple-evo...ly-kicks-butt/

Does have a good motor build and make some power but suspension and drivetrain is otherwise pretty basic. Of course just goes to show that time attack is mostly about power these days.
Nice, I'll have to watch that later.

Global Time Attack definitely favors power. I never understand why they leave the power virtually unlimited while restricting tires in Street classes.

On the other hand, that k-swapped NSX that dominated didn't have as much power as I expected given how much faster it was than both the Evo and Supra.

AWD cars are limited to 265s while RWD and FWD get 295s in the street class. I thought for sure that the Supra's extra displacement, wider tires, and better transmission would leave the Evo behind, but Shawn repeatedly put down faster times.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
We are in day 2 of racing. Its hot today. About 85. My stock 300tw tires give up after the second lap. Still, I am putting up the same lap times as most of the 1le zl1s out here. But at the same time, fully prepped miatas and s2000s are putting down the same times. This track is odd. Lots of tight technical stuff but a couple big straights where I am hitting 85 mph. So its a good combo of power and handling. Tom berry in the gt3rs is about 2 seconds faster then me on a mid 50 second course so I am good with that. Next track day I should have a proper set of track wheels and tires for a better comparison.

Last session out, I tried shifting it on my own. There is a decent delay from when I hit the flapper compared to when it actually shifts. So I have to get used to hitting the flapper early. Next session out, I'll leave it in auto shift mode but turn off all traction control systems. With them on, it limits the power a lot and kicks in late. If I can control the power, i think it will be worth a good half to full second. Tires will help more though.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Also got a new wing the other day. Looks much better.

Awesome car! The looks have definitely grown on me after seeing one in person! Im glad you love the supra, ive been putting off getting my dream car because i cant figure out how to let go of my evo haha. More power to you man! Enjoy your sweet ride!
The following users liked this post:
EVO196 (Mar 30, 2021)
Old Mar 28, 2021, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

@slocho thanks. I do love it. Find a way to get a new car and keep the evo and you will be set!

Alright, weekend of racing is over. Learned a lot about the car. had a couple other people drive it while I sat passenger so I could feel what it does without focusing on driving. This weekend was a great baseline test. Honestly, the stock supra is right about where my evo is. I beat the one c8 by a bit which is the normal for the evo. Tires are going to be a huge improvement.

I turned all the fancy traction control dealios off for my final round and used the paddles to downshift when I wanted and when it should have automatically but didnt and that seemed to work.

I am thinking of doing tires, springs and sway bars all at once but might be too big of a change at once. Overall, this is a great platform to start with. I love the way it behaves even when you get extra aggressive with it. They had free runs after the day was over and I did a drift run. That was so much fun. The car just works. Tires weren't happy but I was!
The following 2 users liked this post by Lumpy Sticks:
Construct (Mar 29, 2021), EVO196 (Mar 30, 2021)
Old Mar 29, 2021, 01:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 372 Likes on 247 Posts
Congrats!

I think the supra platform is stout. A few bolt on's and it goes into the 10's in the 1/4 mile. Handles great, affordable.

My only issue is I'm 4-5 inches too tall for it. I'm 6'3" and visibility isn't that great.

The following users liked this post:
EVO196 (Mar 30, 2021)
Old Mar 29, 2021, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Tim! Your brother? has an a90 right? I remember you made a post a while back about the Supra. Curious to see how it has transformed by now. And ya, you are a bit big for a Supra. I am 5'9" and the seat is almost all the way back. With a helmet on, my head pretty much touches the roof.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 03:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
I am 5'9" and the seat is almost all the way back. With a helmet on, my head pretty much touches the roof.
Are there any aftermarket brackets to lower the seat?
Old Mar 30, 2021, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Construct
Are there any aftermarket brackets to lower the seat?
Haven't looked into it since I dont need it. I dont know if they do or dont though. The seats are almost on the floor how it is so I dont think there would be much to gain. There is a bar behind the seats so you cant scoot the seats back far but in turn, you would have to tilt them forward to clear the bar. I'm not a huge fan of having the seats lay way back so it all works out perfectly for me.

When I drive the evo, I feel like I'm sitting in a truck. When in the supra, I feel like I am on the ground. It's almost as bad to get into as a lotus. Once in, I love it. Getting in and out is a task haha. Maybe I'm just getting old....
Old Mar 31, 2021, 06:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
When I drive the evo, I feel like I'm sitting in a truck. When in the supra, I feel like I am on the ground. It's almost as bad to get into as a lotus. Once in, I love it. Getting in and out is a task haha. Maybe I'm just getting old....
Well, the Evo *is* a sedan... I feel you though, same feeling I had when getting into my ex's 240sx. Big difference. At first, I hated it because I felt like I couldn't see anything, then I started noticing the advantages of sitting at a lower center of gravity.

Do you have plans to track the Supra too? Really interested in feedback there.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Well, the Evo *is* a sedan... I feel you though, same feeling I had when getting into my ex's 240sx.
The binary engineering seat lowering brackets do miracles in the evo 8/9. At first it felt like a truck compared to my friends fd3s with bride seats, then after installing the brackets it felt almost similar in height. Its amazing what 1.5" drop does and thats with stock recaros.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 08:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by RallySport9
The binary engineering seat lowering brackets do miracles in the evo 8/9. At first it felt like a truck compared to my friends fd3s with bride seats, then after installing the brackets it felt almost similar in height. Its amazing what 1.5" drop does and thats with stock recaros.
Yea, I had the binary lowering brackets in my CT9A. Still felt high compared to the 240sx
Old Mar 31, 2021, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Well, the Evo *is* a sedan... I feel you though, same feeling I had when getting into my ex's 240sx. Big difference. At first, I hated it because I felt like I couldn't see anything, then I started noticing the advantages of sitting at a lower center of gravity.

Do you have plans to track the Supra too? Really interested in feedback there.
Yep going to do some big tracks for sure! The cool thing is that Toyota gives you a free track day with purchase. Looks like I will be doing Streets Of Willow later this year. Kinda want to get some more seat time in auto-x before I do a big track though. Little bit safer learning the basics of the car in a field of cones.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 09:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Supra is a nice car,
new Nissan Z look pretty good for the price when it come out

My wife say I can only get sedan so the kids can ride in it too, so I’m stuck on waiting for the new STI, or maybe Lexus IS F when they come out

I think 2022-2023 sports cars going to be great.

will not sell my Evo 9 though. It will be daily
Old Mar 31, 2021, 09:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
California so strict with smog. don’t have time to swap parts back to stock every 2 years. So Evo have to be simple.
buying new car and modified it the best way to go, don’t have to worry about it for 5 years, after that put it back to stock and sell it, lol

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?