Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2021, 01:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Unfortunately, no. The crackles on the 2020 models are bad. The 21s are by far better and only do it on free revs. Driving around town, its rare to hear and wont crackle unless you down shift and its coasting down from 5k. I think if you get the JB4 piggyback, you can turn it off.
Well, up to three deal breakers now, lol.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 01:45 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Can you also code out the BS crackle tune crap too? I loath that crap and it pains me that now OEMs are adding it to their cars.
Like black wheels. You know something's played out when OEM starts doing it.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
Well, up to three deal breakers now, lol.
Well at least 2 of those deal breakers will be fixed when the unlock comes out. 3rd one.... who knows if its ever going to happen. Maybe next year if the Z really kills Supra sales. If BMyoda decides to put a manual trans in, I am not getting one. Im sticking with the slush box.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 07:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Well at least 2 of those deal breakers will be fixed when the unlock comes out. 3rd one.... who knows if its ever going to happen. Maybe next year if the Z really kills Supra sales. If BMyoda decides to put a manual trans in, I am not getting one. Im sticking with the slush box.
To be fair, I really need to drive one. I'm trying to figure out how to do that.

The more research I do, the more interesting the car is to me. It seems like a budget M2 comp with a sports car body and more sporty tuned inputs.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
To be fair, I really need to drive one. I'm trying to figure out how to do that.

The more research I do, the more interesting the car is to me. It seems like a budget M2 comp with a sports car body and more sporty tuned inputs.
I don't think that is the case. M2 Comp uses the S55 engine from the 2015 - 2020 BMW M3/M4 and has an optional 7 speed DCT from the same car. That engine so far has been proven reliable when you get the crank hub fix. Also the top mount intercooler leaks from the plastic end tanks seal and leaks coolant into the engine. The intercooler has the same modern day crappy plastic end tank that radiators do. The DCT I haven't read much about problems, seems pretty solid. There are tunes available for the engine and trans.

The price if you compare starting MSRP is $4k more for the M2 Comp. I think the Supra has discounts where I hear the M2 Comp does not.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

If you find yourself back on this coast, let me know! You can take mine through the mountain roads.

Originally Posted by lv05evo
I don't think that is the case. M2 Comp uses the S55 engine from the 2015 - 2020 BMW M3/M4 and has an optional 7 speed DCT from the same car. That engine so far has been proven reliable when you get the crank hub fix. Also the top mount intercooler leaks from the plastic end tanks seal and leaks coolant into the engine. The intercooler has the same modern day crappy plastic end tank that radiators do. The DCT I haven't read much about problems, seems pretty solid. There are tunes available for the engine and trans.

The price if you compare starting MSRP is $4k more for the M2 Comp. I think the Supra has discounts where I hear the M2 Comp does not.
The 2022 Supras just hit the showroom floor. So expect big discounts on the 21s pretty soon.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 11:00 AM
EvoM Guru

I didn't mean all the same things. I meant the handling. The Supra's front suspension is from the M2. The Supra has its intercooler integrated into the intake manifold. Which is a bit nuts but... hey...modern tech.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't mean all the same things. I meant the handling. The Supra's front suspension is from the M2. The Supra has its intercooler integrated into the intake manifold. Which is a bit nuts but... hey...modern tech.
I didn't know the front suspension on the Supra is the same as M2 Comp, which the Z4 and Supra share the same platform. Also there is a handful of suspension parts that the F8X M3/M4 share with F87 M2. Also looks like M2 Comp is 250 lbs heavier if you get a DCT trans than the Supra.

You probably know this but the new G8X M3/M4 Comp uses a ZF 8 speed auto. Not sure if it is the same as the Supra trans with a different tune.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 02:51 PM
EvoM Guru

I didn't know the front suspension on the Supra is the same as M2 Comp, which the Z4 and Supra share the same platform. Also there is a handful of suspension parts that the F8X M3/M4 share with F87 M2. Also looks like M2 Comp is 250 lbs heavier if you get a DCT trans than the Supra.

You probably know this but the new G8X M3/M4 Comp uses a ZF 8 speed auto. Not sure if it is the same as the Supra trans with a different tune.
I honestly don't keep up much with BMW's as all the modern M cars feel really disconnected to me. I really wanted to love the M2 but after driving a couple they are just way too vague for me. That is why the Supra is starting to interest me, it sounds like Toyota tweaked the steering, diff programming, and suspension to feel like a more connected car.

Now, in reality, if the Supra feels closer to the M2, then hard pass from me.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Razor - closest thing I have driven that the Supra reminds me of is a s2k. S2k wins at steering feedback but the connection between car and driver feels about the same. The Supra is a lot more forgiving past its limit too.

I would compare it to my evo but its hard to. Initial turn in is about the same, going through a slalom feels about the same but coming out of a turn you have to be careful with the throttle. Again, I haven't been back to test it with sticky tires so I can't be too sure yet. Might stop by the auto-x event this weekend to see if I can sneak on the track for a few laps. Tires for sure made a huge difference. I can say overall g load is higher on the supra by far.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 07:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Razor - closest thing I have driven that the Supra reminds me of is a s2k. S2k wins at steering feedback but the connection between car and driver feels about the same. The Supra is a lot more forgiving past its limit too.
That is quite the claim! I do need to find one to drive.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

That is quite the claim! I do need to find one to drive.
I know I'm putting your expectations up there. Remember I said it "reminds me" of a s2k. It's really unlike any other car I have driven, in a good way. That's just my closest comparison. Definitely way better than a c5 or c6 with their extra numb gm steering.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 11:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

you say that like the B58 in the Supra isn't reliable... is there something I don't know? I haven't been paying obsessive attention to it but there are plenty of pretty big power B58's out there running without issue
Old Sep 3, 2021, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by warmmilk
you say that like the B58 in the Supra isn't reliable... is there something I don't know? I haven't been paying obsessive attention to it but there are plenty of pretty big power B58's out there running without issue

I haven't read complaints of the B58 Supra engine, which is a new version of the B58 used in the F30 340I. That said there aren't too many high mileage new gen B58 engines like there are S55 engines. One thing would be to see what mileage does to the intercooler in the intake manifold since the external S55 one leaked.

I mainly was just trying to say the M2 Comp with S55 engine is a good combo with tuning capability.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 09:08 AM
EvoM Guru

@Lumpy Sticks I've noticed in a lot of videos on youtube with the Supra that it looks like there is no divider between the trunk and the cabin and people are constantly having to push items back after braking hard. Is this for real? Is there literally no wall or divider between the trunk and the cabin?

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?