Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2021, 07:33 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
New enough.

It has 1500 miles and still has protective plastic on the display, door sills, carpet. Apparently, it was stored in a temp-controlled facility and the previous owner traded it in on a 911 Turbo.

I had been looking for a 21/22 because of the updates but I was having a very hard time finding one in a color I wanted and also one that didn't have a $3,000 or more market adjustment. Then I found this car, had them send me updated photos and I jumped on it because it's basically a new 2020 LE in amazing condition. All the other used Supras had some sort of flaws that I would hate to have for a $50K+ car.

The plus is also that I can tune it right away if I want... which of course I will. :P

I heart red interiors on white cars. That's exactly how I'd do it.

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
If you go p-car, I will not hate or blame you one bit....if you can swing it, it's worth it.
It's only 6yrs old vs the other car that's an '02. Probably go that route.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Does anyone know why exactly the '21/'22 got the horsepower increase over '20? Turbo, Head, both? The suspension bits that the '21/'22 got seem like a simple change for a '20 car no?
Old Nov 2, 2021, 07:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by lv05evo
Does anyone know why exactly the '21/'22 got the horsepower increase over '20? Turbo, Head, both? The suspension bits that the '21/'22 got seem like a simple change for a '20 car no?
New head. Lower compression with new pistons design (10.2 vs 11.1). 6 port external turbo exhaust manifold. 2020 has a 2 port turbo manifold because the main exhaust manifold is integrated into the head.

21+ received the strut tower braces the Z4 has. Revised strut damper rates, new bumpstops.

Revised programming for steering, diff and stability control.

I plan on putting on Ohlins and camber/toe suspension pieces so the suspension updates for 21+ aren't super concerning to me. I'm going to assume the programming updates for steering diff and stability control might be able to be updated through the aftermarket at some point.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 08:38 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
@Noize
That 2017 C7 Grand Sport had the Z07 package that includes Carbon Ceramics plus Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. That could be the reason for the big gap in times? The specs match up close on paper too.

C7 Grand Sport
Class: LL3
Lap time: 2:47.1
Base Price: $79,930
As-tested price: $92,060
460 hp • 3445 lb • 7.5 lb/hp
Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 ZP
F: P285/30ZR-19 (94Y), R: P335/25ZR-20 (99Y)

Toyota Supra

Lap time: 2:59.3
Class: LL2 | Base: $51,985 | As Tested: $56,680
Power and Weight: 382 hp • 3402 lb • 8.9 lb/hp
Tires: Michelin Pilot Super Sport, F:255/35ZR-19 (96Y) ★ R: 275/35ZR-19 (100Y)
The stock Supra tires suck so bad its not even funny. Definitely played a big part in that test. Also note the nearly $35k price difference. Buy a Supra, dump $35k in it and see whats faster then.

All I have to say is that the Supra is ok in stock form. It needs some work to be a competitive car. Honestly though, wheels and tires alone have turned it into a completely different car. Cant wait to see what the rest of my mods do when I finally get them installed. I am loving the new bump in power though!
How about a 1SS 1LE?
Normal tires, normal brakes, still 4.5 seconds faster on Lightning Lap, 350 lbs heavier than the Corvette, $5000 cheaper than the Supra, and a manual transmission option.
That Z07 Package is helping some, but even a 2014 Z51 narrow body ran a 2.53.

An SS 1LE or a Mach 1 would still get my money if we're talking performance for dollar. Of course that works well until you have to be seen in a Mustang or Camaro, lol.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 08:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Noize
How about a 1SS 1LE?
Normal tires, normal brakes, still 4.5 seconds faster on Lightning Lap, 350 lbs heavier than the Corvette, $5000 cheaper than the Supra, and a manual transmission option.

An SS 1LE or a Mach 1 would still get my money if we're talking performance for dollar. Of course that works well until you have to be seen in a Mustang or Camaro, lol.
I would hardly call eagle F1 Supercar 3 tires normal. Those are 220 TW track tires. The supra comes with 300 TW Michelin Super Sport street tires that fall apart on track.

Either way, we are under no illusion that the Supra is a great track car out of the box. It's a GT car first. I am excited about the performance potential. They are already proven to turn into a good track weapon with track tires and suspension.

Hell, a stock 2021 Supra traps the same in the front straight at Thunderhill as my Evo 10 with 540whp. Mainly because 5th gear in the evo sucks. Supras with good track tires, good coilovers and a tune are running the same times as GT4's and ZL1 1LE's at Thunderhill. That is pretty impressive.

Last edited by razorlab; Nov 2, 2021 at 08:47 AM.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
New head. Lower compression with new pistons design (10.2 vs 11.1). 6 port external turbo exhaust manifold. 2020 has a 2 port turbo manifold because the main exhaust manifold is integrated into the head.

21+ received the strut tower braces the Z4 has. Revised strut damper rates, new bumpstops.

Revised programming for steering, diff and stability control.

I plan on putting on Ohlins and camber/toe suspension pieces so the suspension updates for 21+ aren't super concerning to me. I'm going to assume the programming updates for steering diff and stability control might be able to be updated through the aftermarket at some point.
I would think the revised programming is something that can be coded. If I remember correctly the Supra is running I-Drive 7 which is the "old" I-Drive from the last generation BMW. Last gen BMW M3 base model can get the revised steering, diff, and damper settings (If electronic dampers equipped) from a M3 CS. The DCT programing from a M4 GTS can be swapped as well. This was the ultimate M3 car if staying all stock.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 09:42 AM
EvoM Guru

I would think the revised programming is something that can be coded. If I remember correctly the Supra is running I-Drive 7 which is the "old" I-Drive from the last generation BMW. Last gen BMW M3 base model can get the revised steering, diff, and damper settings (If electronic dampers equipped) from a M3 CS. The DCT programing from a M4 GTS can be swapped as well. This was the ultimate M3 car if staying all stock.
Yup, older I-Drive, which I actually prefer. It's V6 I believe.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
Congrats Bryan. Thats all I got to say! Enjoy the new ride when you get it and let me know if you got any questions on how things work.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 03:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
How about a 1SS 1LE?

so just to **** everyone off again (not sure why) vid below is the fastest Camaro time I know of at the same track I posted the GS and Supra times above, at 1:50.6, so a hair slower than a Supra on A052 as the only mod. But this is on SC3R tires, which are nearly Hoosier R7 level of stick, better than stock and A052. This guy isn't as good of a driver as the GS guy but he's pretty decent, has hundreds of laps at this track, maybe thousands.

Camaro is cheaper though... so there's that. But its hard to make faster past the basic tire/pad mods cause of how heavy it is.

as far as C7 Z51, I think the fastest time for that at the same track is in the 50-51 range, maybe 49... but thats with Z06 front fenders and massive tires stuffed in the fenders, Pirelli DH take offs, so hit or miss as far how good they are, and a bunch of suspension mods. Driver skill is around the same as the Camaro guy.

Last edited by WarmMilk; Nov 2, 2021 at 03:22 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 04:54 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
You said fastest camaro, not which trim soooo. Heres Ryan Otis with a 1:46 in a ZL1 1LE. On the same day a fully stock 1SS 1LE (OEM wheels and tires) ran in the 1:49 range. I also have another friend in a Cayman GTS (last gen flat 6 version) with tires and Im not sure if shocks or not, but he finally hit a 1:49 also.

Old Nov 2, 2021, 04:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Congrats Bryan. Thats all I got to say! Enjoy the new ride when you get it and let me know if you got any questions on how things work.
Thanks, the deal isn't sealed yet. Waiting for the docs, then I get the transport to pick it up. Ohio to New York.

I'll get it just in time to drive it for a week then put it in the garage for three months. lol

laughcry, but in all seriousness, that allows me to prep it for track duty in the spring.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 196 Likes on 128 Posts
WTF am I missing in this CORRUPTING thread. Long live the EVO !
Seriously though, that is one sweet setup. Love the color combo.
And as I was researching new summer/track tires, my #1 pick was F1 Supercar 3, because they absolutely slay on the track while being just enough to be considered a "summer" tire.

Old Nov 2, 2021, 06:09 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaraxle
WTF am I missing in this CORRUPTING thread. Long live the EVO !
Thinking about why I'm ready to sell: Waning support. Increased difficulty finding OEM parts. Newer cars that are more comfortable to drive but as fast or faster. I think I've gone about as fast as I'm going to in this car. My next car will be faster. Will it be as fun to drive? That's why I've been dragging my feet. Selling or not is the most indecisive I've been about anything
Old Nov 2, 2021, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Thinking about why I'm ready to sell: Waning support. Increased difficulty finding OEM parts. Newer cars that are more comfortable to drive but as fast or faster. I think I've gone about as fast as I'm going to in this car. My next car will be faster. Will it be as fun to drive? That's why I've been dragging my feet. Selling or not is the most indecisive I've been about anything
Funny you say that cause since I got the Supra, I have not wanted to drive the Evo at all. It just sits. 800 miles on it this year. Actually hoping it sells this weekend.

And if you think 3 month of winter hibernation is going to be long enough to track prep it, you are crazy. Getting parts fast means 3 months now, especially in the Supra world.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 196 Likes on 128 Posts
Well I thought about selling mine. But the carfax is going to look dumb. Slow parking lot bang (rear quarter), rear ended (bumper).. hit a dear at like 20mph (front bumper). All fixes were cosmetic, and done by a FANTASTIC shop. But the carfax will look like I played bumper cars with it from the day I bought it. So I'm doubling down. 600whp or bust...I've owned it since new, so the year over year cost is diminishing. But damn the interior is crap, and your right about waning support. To have my block done, it was NEAR IMPOSSIBLE to find a shop. Ivey.. nope. AMS.. nope.. they have long moved on from the Evo X platform.
So I get it.
But....
LONG LIVE THE EVO !!!

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?