Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2021, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
MAP downpipe is surprisingly perfect. Fits perfectly, o2 sensors clear everything no problem (common issue with other brands) and the flanges line up very nicely. The increase in sound is very noticeable. Sounds like factory but with a good 5-7 decibel increase. The warm start "roar" definitely makes people jump. So far no CEL and no catless exhaust smells.

The rock chip issue is real haha. Wait until you take it to the track. The doors by the door handle seem to be the prime area. Also, the problem gets even worse with aftermarket wheels that stick out farther. I am seriously thinking about the ZL1 flares too with the amount of rock chips I already have. If you think the car handles good with stock wheels/tires, just wait until you get better stuff. It still blows my mind how much grip the car has now.

It does suck you have to put your car away for the winter. Meanwhile, I will be driving mine around on 200 tw tires in this 70° winter weather.

So the big question - now that you have put some miles on the slush box, would you want a manual trans if it was offered?

I took mine out on the local mountain roads over the weekend cause a lady friend has been begging me to take her for a spin. I tried to scare her but she is used to riding around in drift cars so that didnt work.

The following 2 users liked this post by Lumpy Sticks:
EVO196 (Dec 8, 2021), SoSoEVO (Jan 25, 2022)
Old Nov 23, 2021, 04:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
I took mine out on the local mountain roads over the weekend cause a lady friend has been begging me to take her for a spin. I tried to scare her but she is used to riding around in drift cars so that didnt work.
take her to a track day... in my experience people used to riding in drift cars are still pretty easy to scare on a decent hot lap, particularly in the brake zones / corner entry, haha

on a different note, are either of you considering getting one of the aftermarket intercooler/intake manifolds? seams to be a pretty good upgrade but most of them are around 4k... and at least one of them you can't change your oil filter with it installed...
Old Nov 23, 2021, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by warmmilk
take her to a track day... in my experience people used to riding in drift cars are still pretty easy to scare on a decent hot lap, particularly in the brake zones / corner entry, haha

on a different note, are either of you considering getting one of the aftermarket intercooler/intake manifolds? seams to be a pretty good upgrade but most of them are around 4k... and at least one of them you can't change your oil filter with it installed...
Big track days do tend to scare people who have never done one before. I took another one of my lady friends auto-xing and she was freaked out at first but toward the end of the day, loved it.

Nope, I won't be buying one of those manifolds. I'll make my own for that price. Considering I have a couple cnc machines, know how to use Autocad and can tig weld, making one won't be an issue.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 07:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
So the big question - now that you have put some miles on the slush box, would you want a manual trans if it was offered?
I was in with the new breed of auto trans for a while now. I've owned SST and DSG equipped cars. Currently have a DSG equipped VW. The ZF trans in the Supra is superior to both those. It's nice and smooth around town but aggressive in sport mode when driving hard. Has brutal WOT upshifts (in a good way). Anyone that thinks this is anywhere close to old "auto slush box" transmissions are talking out of their *** and hasn't experienced one yet. It's a very impressive transmission. Better than any DCT I have driven yet.

Now I understand why BMW is now using the ZF in all their M cars.

One thing I have noticed that is a bummer, is that the Supra forums and FB groups are filled with total morons that sound like this is the first car they have ever owned. They all make really bad assumptions and think they are right. Two of the FB groups are moderated by a bunch of vendors so anything they don't agree with gets deleted. I'm sure this will change as the car is out longer but right now it's really bad. Most of the posts are about how they took the car out for the first time in months and someone spilled ice cream on their $5,000 full car PPF vinyl protection and now they can't sleep.

Last edited by razorlab; Nov 23, 2021 at 07:21 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 07:38 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
The ZF popped on my radar when jeep launched the trackhawk and I started digging into it. An awd trans that can handle that much power in a heavy SUV seemed pretty interesting. Maybe around the same time there was also this article that popped into my feed:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...transmissions/

I know you can all youtube, but
is an easy mode video about how the ZF 8HP works. Very cool technology IMO.

Old Nov 24, 2021, 08:57 AM
EvoM Guru

MAP downpipe is surprisingly perfect. Fits perfectly, o2 sensors clear everything no problem (common issue with other brands) and the flanges line up very nicely. The increase in sound is very noticeable. Sounds like factory but with a good 5-7 decibel increase. The warm start "roar" definitely makes people jump. So far no CEL and no catless exhaust smells.
Cool, thanks for the input. I just took advantage of their 20% sale and grabbed one!
Old Nov 24, 2021, 11:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
IOne thing I have noticed that is a bummer, is that the Supra forums and FB groups are filled with total morons that sound like this is the first car they have ever owned. They all make really bad assumptions and think they are right. Two of the FB groups are moderated by a bunch of vendors so anything they don't agree with gets deleted. I'm sure this will change as the car is out longer but right now it's really bad. Most of the posts are about how they took the car out for the first time in months and someone spilled ice cream on their $5,000 full car PPF vinyl protection and now they can't sleep.
That's the impression I get every time I look at those forums. I wondered if I was just missing the real conversation happening somewhere else.

If you find a quality Supra motorsports-centric forum or subforum, let us know.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
The ZF popped on my radar when jeep launched the trackhawk and I started digging into it. An awd trans that can handle that much power in a heavy SUV seemed pretty interesting. Maybe around the same time there was also this article that popped into my feed:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...transmissions/

I know you can all youtube, but here is an easy mode video about how the ZF 8HP works. Very cool technology IMO.
I ended up watching that video last night. Really cool to see how different it is from your normal auto trans. Definitely helped explain to me why the trans is so good. Thanks for the link!
Old Nov 24, 2021, 01:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Added a camera mount. All ready for track events in four months, haha.

Old Nov 25, 2021, 10:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
MAP downpipe is surprisingly perfect.
I have to ask: Why is that surprising?

My Evo MAP downpipe is a work of art. Great fitment, quality V-band disconnect. One of the best made aftermarket exhaust parts I've seen.

Has their exhaust quality gone downhill recently?
Old Nov 25, 2021, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

I think their quality of engine building has given them a bad rap. This is honestly the first map brand item I have bought and am completely happy with it.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 12:00 PM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
My MAP ceramic cat is a very nice piece. Their fabricator/s seem top notch. Like Lumpy said, it's their engine building reputation around here that is not great.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 12:22 PM
kaj

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Looks like I have a buyer for the Aston. I'll pocket $10k there. Then the Evo goes up for sale. Hoping for $20k from it.
That gives me $30k for a down payment or $25k down and $5k for tires and brakes.
That's a decent Supra payment, IMO.
I'm shopping two other brands. Gonna leave it up to fate to decide since I can't. Whichever of the three I find first.
I'm bummed and excited at the same time.

Last edited by kaj; Nov 25, 2021 at 03:09 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Looks like I have a buyer for the Aston. I'll pocket $10k there. Then the Evo goes up for sale. Hoping for $20k from it.
That gives me $30k for a down payment or $25k down and $5k for tires and brakes.
That's a decent Supra payment, IMO.
I'm shopping two other brands. Gonna leave it up to gate to decide since I can't. Whichever of the three I find first.
I'm bummed and excited at the same time.
Based on what my Evo has sold for (find out for sure tomorrow), you will get way more than you think for yours since it's one of the few quality track builds.

Hope you end up in a Supra so we can do a Laguna day in style!
Old Nov 25, 2021, 03:08 PM
kaj

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Based on what my Evo has sold for (find out for sure tomorrow), you will get way more than you think for yours since it's one of the few quality track builds.

Hope you end up in a Supra so we can do a Laguna day in style!
I dunno, man. All the buyers I see want show cars. There seems to be so few of us that want track-focused builds. We'll see, though. Having a fresh shortblock, trans, and rear diff should help. Oh... And the clutch finally went, so that will be BRAND New

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?