Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2021, 11:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Is that a challenge i hear? Here is my next event if you want to sign up and see what the socal boys have to offer. This is actually the 2nd race ever for this new series. I'm excited to try it out since its not just auto-x.

https://racingbyrds.com/event-regist...Z&olaR=2834489

The following 2 users liked this post by Construct:
Lumpy Sticks (Apr 10, 2021), TheRippedNerd (May 21, 2021)
Old Apr 10, 2021, 05:01 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Is that a challenge i hear? Here is my next event if you want to sign up and see what the socal boys have to offer. This is actually the 2nd race ever for this new series. I'm excited to try it out since its not just auto-x.

https://racingbyrds.com/event-regist...Z&olaR=2834489
If you are running at my AutoX events, then absolutely. Come on down. Or...up?
I didn't say I'd beat any supra, anywhere in the world, but I'd definitely give it a go.
I'm going to be at ACS already on 4/24, but I'll have my trailer by then so heading back down could be doable, especially for a good reason.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 06:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Lets be real here, if you're beating A-mod, its not you its them

But at the end of the day, the only real way to measure is to race against the fastest and they only really exist at national events. So you gotta measure yourself on index in national competition to really gauge where you stand.

People like to crap on Index but the reality is if you're capable of winning your class at Solo Nats you're capable of being in the top 10% of Tour pax.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 06:46 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Lets be real here, if you're beating A-mod, its not you its them

But at the end of the day, the only real way to measure is to race against the fastest and they only really exist at national events. So you gotta measure yourself on index in national competition to really gauge where you stand.

People like to crap on Index but the reality is if you're capable of winning your class at Solo Nats you're capable of being in the top 10% of Tour pax.
I don't think he gets the chance to stretch it's legs.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I don't think he gets the chance to stretch it's legs.
If you were to beat me in my bone stock car, I would be more than ok with that. Your car is lighter, more power, fatter/better tires and 2 more wheels putting the power to the ground. The other way around and you wouldn't hear the end of it! Haha. I dont think my wheels, tires and suspension will installed by then so I will most likely still have a stock car. I am more interested at how you do against the regulars out here. They are faster then you think. If tom berry shows up in his evo or the gt3rs, everyone is screwed. That part is for Dallas cause I know he knows who he is and how many national races he has won.

I am going to try to visit you at acs but my ex will be out of town and ill be on kid duty. If I can get my parents to watch him, I'll stop by for a visit. Maybe a ride along?

Last edited by Lumpy Sticks; Apr 10, 2021 at 07:33 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 08:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
If you were to beat me in my bone stock car, I would be more than ok with that. Your car is lighter, more power, fatter/better tires and 2 more wheels putting the power to the ground. The other way around and you wouldn't hear the end of it! Haha. I dont think my wheels, tires and suspension will installed by then so I will most likely still have a stock car. I am more interested at how you do against the regulars out here. They are faster then you think. If tom berry shows up in his evo or the gt3rs, everyone is screwed. That part is for Dallas cause I know he knows who he is and how many national races he has won.

I am going to try to visit you at acs but my ex will be out of town and ill be on kid duty. If I can get my parents to watch him, I'll stop by for a visit. Maybe a ride along?
Yep, Tom IS the benchmark if you want to see where you stack up. But really I learned that's how to actually push and find that extra speed. You have to be racing against people better. I have my local alien to push me and we go back and forth now but for literally a decade Ive been playing catchup. At this point, I keep up cause the car is that good. But I'll take it
Old Apr 10, 2021, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Yep, Tom IS the benchmark if you want to see where you stack up. But really I learned that's how to actually push and find that extra speed. You have to be racing against people better. I have my local alien to push me and we go back and forth now but for literally a decade Ive been playing catchup. At this point, I keep up cause the car is that good. But I'll take it
I only bring him up because that is the competition in my normal series. He is not the only fast one there. The top 10 fastest of the day are normally within .5 of each other. The last race / first race in the Supra, I think i was 17th overall out of 100. In the Evo, I averaged about the same everytime, against the same people.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 09:40 PM
kaj

I was saying that my car doesn't have much lag. As proof, it's usually fastest on my local, baby courses, where my.lag should hurt the most.
in comparison to a new Supra and the 1600RPM full boost.
And that a Supra will not beat my car out there, despite it's power band.
Now, moving on to nationals, index, other Evo drivers, etc I have no clue. I can't even speculate.
that's a while nuther conversation.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I was saying that my car doesn't have much lag. As proof, it's usually fastest on my local, baby courses, where my.lag should hurt the most.
in comparison to a new Supra and the 1600RPM full boost.
And that a Supra will not beat my car out there, despite it's power band.
Now, moving on to nationals, index, other Evo drivers, etc I have no clue. I can't even speculate.
that's a while nuther conversation.

I need proof of this virtually no lag haha. You must have big courses. Ours get down to 20 mph but at the same time, up to 80. My evo had bad lag (full boost by 3700 / 2nd gear), with a stock turbo.

But I do agree with you. However, once I modify my car, suspension, wheels and tires only, its going to give your car a very good run at auto-x as long I can learn to drive it. Driver means a lot and I am still a far way from there. I will get there and once I do, I want a heads up battle with you! No, 2 races. One on your turf, one on mine. Evo vs Supra haha.

Dallas honestly makes a great point in bringing in the top drivers. Whatever lap time they put down is the number to beat and you know its a good number. Sucks that I race with those people but helps to know what the potential actually is.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 12:48 AM
kaj

I need proof of this virtually no lag haha. You must have big courses. Ours get down to 20 mph but at the same time, up to 80. My evo had bad lag (full boost by 3700 / 2nd gear), with a stock turbo.

But I do agree with you. However, once I modify my car, suspension, wheels and tires only, its going to give your car a very good run at auto-x as long I can learn to drive it. Driver means a lot and I am still a far way from there. I will get there and once I do, I want a heads up battle with you! No, 2 races. One on your turf, one on mine. Evo vs Supra haha.

Dallas honestly makes a great point in bringing in the top drivers. Whatever lap time they put down is the number to beat and you know its a good number. Sucks that I race with those people but helps to know what the potential actually is.
That sounds like a blast, I'm in!
I can post videos. I think I have some saved.
Our courses are all 2nd gear with occasional 1st gear sections. Sometimes they will make a straight long enough that I bump rev limiter in 2nd, but not often. The car just goes with an HTA71. I am literally on the limit of traction at all times. More/sooner torque just wouldn't help.
I'll check into getting back down there after this month. it kind of depends what time we be wrapping up Sunday, as I work on Monday morning. If I can do Saturday only that would make it a lot easier. I'll check into it!

Last edited by kaj; Apr 11, 2021 at 01:20 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Ordered some goodies for the Supra over the week. Got me some wheels. 18x10s for the front 18x11s for the rear. Wont be ready to ship until June. Thinking I am going to do a 275/315 combo. That will clear everything without modifying anything since my wheels are Supra specific in the offsets. Also ordered up some suspension stuff, springs and sway bars. Those will be here in a couple weeks. Still have to order tires. After all that, I added on some carbon goodness cause, well, I love carbon stuff.

The following 2 users liked this post by Lumpy Sticks:
lv05evo (Apr 19, 2021), TheRippedNerd (May 21, 2021)
Old Apr 21, 2021, 03:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Speaking of how things feel, I do not like the brake pedal. It just feels mushy all the time. I like how solid the Evos pedal feels. Maybe this will change once I go to stainless lines, track pads and good fluid but we will see.
considering the car is new the brake lines prolly won't make a difference in pedal feel. its prolly just the street friendly oem pads. Sliding calipers can contribute to this too but the supra has fixed calipers. Not that upgrading to stainless lines is a bad idea but its likely not required at this point.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by warmmilk
considering the car is new the brake lines prolly won't make a difference in pedal feel. its prolly just the street friendly oem pads. Sliding calipers can contribute to this too but the supra has fixed calipers. Not that upgrading to stainless lines is a bad idea but its likely not required at this point.
It does have fixed calipers up front, yet the rear is your cookie cutter slider style caliper. Awesome, I know. Pads are going to be coming some time soon. Probably after my wheels arrive. Still not sure when my first big track day will be. Kinda want to do all the basic stuff, wheels, tires sway bars, springs and pads before the first big track day.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 11:05 PM
kaj

It does have fixed calipers up front, yet the rear is your cookie cutter slider style caliper. Awesome, I know. Pads are going to be coming some time soon. Probably after my wheels arrive. Still not sure when my first big track day will be. Kinda want to do all the basic stuff, wheels, tires sway bars, springs and pads before the first big track day.
How far we've come. My basics used to be gas and a helmet.
I tracked some really.....really stock cars in my time. LOL
My Type R is still my fave (stock), though.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 11:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
How far we've come. My basics used to be gas and a helmet.
I tracked some really.....really stock cars in my time. LOL
My Type R is still my fave (stock), though.
yeah but thats like if its your first couple track days in any car... If you've already done a bunch of track days you'll be able to kill the brakes in any new car unless its some track special or a super car. well at least if you've learned something... some people go out there and just cruise around in the beginner group and are somehow content with that...

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?