Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2021, 12:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Nice! I was also looking at gt350’s as well but liked the Supra better. Congrats!

In supra news, got some chonk for the supra. Spring can’t come soon enough…

The following users liked this post:
kaj (Dec 28, 2021)
Old Dec 28, 2021, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
@razorlab
Nice choice. Too bad we won't get the rundown until the spring. I want to know how this tire compares to the Hankook RS4.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
1. I went a COMPLETELY different direction.
2. Since I'm at 1.79% interest and didn't need anything down, I'm probably keeping the Evo too.
Talk about full circle; my first performance car was a brand new '00 GT.
3. But, now I need to sell my trailer and get a larger one so I can take either car to the track.
4. Hopefully my Sequoia will pull all of that.
5. Yes, it's an R.
Congrats, I always loved the sound of that engine.

I remember earlier this year there was a Service Bulletin for an actuator that sits next to the timing chains on the Voodoo engines. It was thought it was the cause of the the engines going boom. I think it was for 19's & 20's cars, not sure about 18's
Old Dec 28, 2021, 01:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by lv05evo
@razorlab
Nice choice. Too bad we won't get the rundown until the spring. I want to know how this tire compares to the Hankook RS4.
Got these from Phil's Tire Service. Since I live within an hour of them now, I actually went there and had him mount them on my wheels as well. Great guy, lots of knowledge. He was telling me all the guys that have used these are basically saying they are the new RS4's. Off pace from the top 200 treadwears like A052's and CR-1's but last twice as long. Which is kinda what I am looking for while I learn the Supra.

Old Dec 28, 2021, 02:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
So funny. I just test drove a ‘19 GT350 30 minutes ago.. Really liked it. Hard to believe it is similar money to the Supra.

Old Dec 28, 2021, 03:16 PM
EvoM Guru

The weight was the biggest thing that kept me away from the GT350 and GT500. But the GT350 is a great track car.

I'm also really not sure why the GT500 is 320lbs heavier than the GT350. (3,760 lbs VS 4,080 lbs)
Old Dec 28, 2021, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
The weight was the biggest thing that kept me away from the GT350 and GT500. But the GT350 is a great track car.

I'm also really not sure why the GT500 is 320lbs heavier than the GT350. (3,760 lbs VS 4,080 lbs)
GT500 is super charged with bigger brake rotors, bigger wheels (Not sure if wider) and maybe the DCT in the GT500 weighs more. I can't remember what is there to handle the extra power.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 03:33 PM
EvoM Guru

GT500 is super charged with bigger brake rotors, bigger wheels (Not sure if wider) and maybe the DCT in the GT500 weighs more. I can't remember what is there to handle the extra power.
Yea, makes sense, supercharger, trans and the extra cooling probably makes up most of it. Still crazy weight for the car (GT500).

Can't remember who, but I find it funny that somebody was whambulancing about the Supra weight on here, but a lot of the other RWD coupes are wayyyy heavier.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 05:47 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Congrats, I always loved the sound of that engine.

I remember earlier this year there was a Service Bulletin for an actuator that sits next to the timing chains on the Voodoo engines. It was thought it was the cause of the the engines going boom. I think it was for 19's & 20's cars, not sure about 18's
I have info on some service bulletins. Just haven't had time to look yet.
I'm seeing failed sump o-rings... told to change the oil pump gears. Lots if info to sort through.

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
So funny. I just test drove a ‘19 GT350 30 minutes ago.. Really liked it. Hard to believe it is similar money to the Supra.
I won't say what I paid, but it was decently close to asking prices on a Supra.
The main factor that swayed me was that I don't want another forced induction car for the race track.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 05:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
1. I went a COMPLETELY different direction.
2. Since I'm at 1.79% interest and didn't need anything down, I'm probably keeping the Evo too.
Talk about full circle; my first performance car was a brand new '00 GT.
3. But, now I need to sell my trailer and get a larger one so I can take either car to the track.
4. Hopefully my Sequoia will pull all of that.
5. Yes, it's an R.

https://youtu.be/DOu7royotdg

well done!
The following users liked this post:
kaj (Dec 28, 2021)
Old Dec 28, 2021, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm seeing guys making videos about stealerships wanting 50k for the new frs... lol
Old Dec 28, 2021, 07:39 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Dallas J
well done!
Now, make me cool cool parts, please.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 04:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I won't say what I paid, but it was decently close to asking prices on a Supra.
The main factor that swayed me was that I don't want another forced induction car for the race track.
I've had two dealers say they would do sticker on a Supra, so '19 or '20 GT350 is a little more. There are plenty of '16-'18 GT350s around for less than a Supra, but I'd prefer to get the refresh car with better stereo, suspension and engine tweaks, etc. An R would never make sense for me. I'd take the CF wheels off and never touch them until I sold the car. I worry enough about damage to regular wheels!

I found the '19 GT350 I test drove to be a hoot on the street and very comfortable with a super nice stereo (B&O). My previous fair weather daily car, which I had 2 years, was an RS3. And before that, an '18 ZL1 manual (non-1LE). They were also really nice, but the RS3 got a little boring in normal driving (which is all I did with it), mostly due to the lack of manual, and the ZL1 was kind of tiring to drive in normal driving with the limited visibility, grabby clutch, long 1st gear and somewhat restrictive Recaros. It was also so powerful down low that it was almost frustrating to drive it in the daily grind. The GT350 is slower, especially in low RPMs, but way more comfortable when you are just cruising due to good visibility all around and much more progressive clutch take-up from a stop. The build up of power with RPMs is very appealing to me (similar to my S2K). I recently drove a C7 GS and it was similar to my old ZL1 with a touchy clutch and so-so visibility, except the chassis felt worse than the ZL1 over bumps, plus the Bose system in the C7 is truly terrible.

A couple days ago I drove a 718 Cayman S manual. What a disappointment. The engine was coarse and gruff and it wasn't slow, but it also wasn't fast. It felt like an NA V6. I kept looking for the power higher and higher in the rev band, but it just wasn't there. It also just felt more cheaply made than my 987.2 Cayman S. The interior felt plasticky and artificial. The shifter was loose and wobbly (by comparison to my other cars) and the car was kind of noisy even when you backed off it. It did feel nimble, but no more so than my older Cayman S. I think it will be GT4 or bust if I ever get a Cayman. Makes me wonder how the newer 911s drive and feel. Hopefully a lot better. The 718 Cayman was pretty though. I love its looks.

Congrats Kaj on ending your car search. I hope to join you soon. I get 99% sure on a lot of cars and then back away. I think that orange GT350 might be the one, but then I've said that about a lot of cars I've considered.

Old Dec 29, 2021, 06:36 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I've had ....considered.
Ford engineers swear the CF wheels will hold up to put holes and curbs better than any metal and have no "fatigue life" or whatever they called it. They say the point of them is to take a beating at the track and keep on going. I'm looking more into it, though. My plan is to use them with my race tires.
I guess there is still, otherwise, enough changes to justify the R. Dunno.
mine is an 18. I bought it partly based on Randy Pobst's reviews lol. No regrets that it's missing a tweak or two.
I'm really impressed by how real the electric steering feels, among other things.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 08:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
I'm really impressed by how real the electric steering feels, among other things.
Yea, Ford does that well for sure. My Fiesta ST's had great steering feel.

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?