Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2022, 11:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Too funny. You guys hit all the nails on the head. "It drives itself" is the official mantra of anyone driving against an Evo haha. To the point where i, literally, want to start recording my pedal and steering wheel inputs so they can see how hard I'm working.
point and shoot =
I've offered a $100 bet at my local autox: we each drive each other's cars and see who can get closer to the owner's time. Winner takes $100. Pointing out anybody in a rear wheel drive car should have a decided advantage. Nobody will take me up on the offer.
I swapped cars with another Evo9 owner blaming/making fun of me with all-the-money-I-threw-into-the-car. I beat his time in his car by 1sec, feathered launch. bastard
The following users liked this post:
kaj (Jan 3, 2022)
Old Jan 3, 2022, 11:48 AM
EvoM Guru

{let me vent just a bit more)
I got guys crawling under my car knocking on the cat to see if its hollowed out. Guys checking that all my emissions hoses are connected and no block off plates. Meanwhile their cars got CEL lights on. WTF
Many times i thought of just ditching the car and just get a stock Civic or a Jetta *sigh*
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
I just drive my car. If people want to complain about my car it just makes me smile even more. At the end of the day racing is not a poor man's sport, if someone is complaining that someone else has more money in their car, to me it means they aren't willing to go as far as others have gone to win.

If you're not competing then buy and drive whatever makes you happy for whatever reason makes it justifiable to you. At the end of the day it's your car and other peoples' opinion shouldn't matter.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:33 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
That's all great, but realistically, we're all highly competitive and, as such, don't like to have our experience dismissed so easily. Driving an Evo really fast is NOT easy. It takes a lot of work.
For the record, I also dislike when people dismiss how difficult my work week is since I "only work three days per week".
Nobody likes putting a ton of effort into something to have people write it off as being so easy that anyone can do it.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:53 PM
EvoM Guru

A genuine 'pat on the back' would be nice. I dont even take the trophy or shoot for the jacket. I 've had about the same number of good days as bad days (something broke, needed a tow). The marquee clubs are the worst. You can just feel hate rolling in and when you beat their alphas. An H-stock mini cooper beats their alphas lol. Some clubs even cook up ways to exclude me from an ST-*Open* class (only DOT registration is required). It's like racism seriously. Meanwhile the Miatas are kicking serious butte with off-the-shelf parts and theyre *a joy to watch*
Old Jan 3, 2022, 01:30 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
A genuine 'pat on the back' would be nice. I dont even take the trophy or shoot for the jacket. I 've had about the same number of good days as bad days (something broke, needed a tow). The marquee clubs are the worst. You can just feel hate rolling in and when you beat their alphas. An H-stock mini cooper beats their alphas lol. Some clubs even cook up ways to exclude me from an ST-*Open* class (only DOT registration is required). It's like racism seriously. Meanwhile the Miatas are kicking serious butte with off-the-shelf parts and they're *a joy to watch*
Maybe cause I've been in this area so long I don't really get much hate showing up to smaller clubs. At least for AX, showing up most people seem excited to see the car run. I will freely admit my car is "easy" to drive, but its really easy to over-drive too. Its really controlled chaos and my style is fast in/fast out so there tends to be drama in most my runs. I have HUUUUGE respect for the guys manhandling the muscle cars and running the times they do. I think the worst think of my style is being use to 4cyl turbo when trying to manage V8 torque. I have **** for modulation ability.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 01:48 PM
EvoM Guru

"Sounds about white. " just kidding. I have huge respect for national level talent, its almost like they have thought-contrrol the way the car is still going to where it needs to be while you can see the car is already going sideways The northern part/cities of the US sees a lot of Evos so maybe it's part of the landscape. Over here it seems youre a dick if you dont spend your money on flashy disposable things, regularly get the latest offerings to make your HOA neighborhood look posh. We have this 'manufactured' towns and mindset here so not-keeping-up-with-the-joneses working on the same old car is frowned upon it seems. Hard to explain, I have live in NY/NJ metro and classics get more 'respect' there IMO. Then again they gave me trouble for my 1981 Toyota
Old Jan 3, 2022, 02:09 PM
EvoM Guru

I forgot to add, mid-level (mid-packer) competition can get really ugly.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 02:14 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
"Sounds about white. " just kidding. I have huge respect for national level talent, its almost like they have thought-contrrol the way the car is still going to where it needs to be while you can see the car is already going sideways The northern part/cities of the US sees a lot of Evos so maybe it's part of the landscape. Over here it seems youre a dick if you dont spend your money on flashy disposable things, regularly get the latest offerings to make your HOA neighborhood look posh. We have this 'manufactured' towns and mindset here so not-keeping-up-with-the-joneses working on the same old car is frowned upon it seems. Hard to explain, I have live in NY/NJ metro and classics get more 'respect' there IMO. Then again they gave me trouble for my 1981 Toyota
Oh dang, yeah its nothing like that around here. Most cars here are some sort of modded thing. There are some newer cars of course, but definitely out numbered by at least ST prep level quite a bit.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Nice! I was also looking at gt350’s as well but liked the Supra better. Congrats!

In supra news, got some chonk for the supra. Spring can’t come soon enough…

I was looking at those too, word from my TR rep is those are basically re-branded Hoosiers!
Old Jan 3, 2022, 02:35 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Crzykdd
I was looking at those too, word from my TR rep is those are basically re-branded Hoosiers!
That's quite the claim.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 02:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Oh dang, yeah its nothing like that around here. Most cars here are some sort of modded thing. There are some newer cars of course, but definitely out numbered by at least ST prep level quite a bit.
yeah same in NY metro, in many cases trying to build an old car like what your hero drove back in the goodoldays is a thing. Over here high school grads get new cars. Dads get executive-sports models. BMW, Porsche, MB, Maclaren etc dealership performance/test drives run with the clubs since the venue is a nice police test track. 'The poor' work with old cars lol. Insurance is cheap too i guess
Old Jan 3, 2022, 04:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
It's a hard pill to swallow (I know it was for me), but there are a good amount of cars out now that are much faster than our heavily modded evos. It used to be I would go to the track and clean up HPDE trophies with my 4 door sedan but now these new cars with simple mods are WAY faster.
I thought as much when the Supra first came out, but I haven't actually seen them cleaning up against Evos in racing series like I thought they would.

Gridlife isn't the best example, but it was eye-opening to watch Shawn Kresbach's relatively simple Evo build constantly outrun Jackie Ding's sponsored and built Supra round after round.

He didn't even have one of those $16K sequentials that keep coming up in this thread for some reason.

Last edited by Construct; Jan 3, 2022 at 04:46 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 07:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
If that is a pretty simple Evo build my Evo 10 is bone stock. Come on.

At least 100 mods and totally gutted. If you said a simple tin can, I would agree with you.

You also forgot to mention all the wins Jackie Ding does have in his Supra. That said, his Supra is def NOT a simple build. It's a full TA car.

Last edited by razorlab; Jan 3, 2022 at 07:11 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 07:11 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Construct
He didn't even have one of those $16K sequentials that keep coming up in this thread for some reason.
it's been mentioned, like twice. Because it would be fun. Duh.

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?