Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2022, 02:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Agreed, I almost bought one. The lack of tuneability and overall build quality kept me away. Then I was seriously looking at Type R's until I did more research and found out about the over heating issues, plus I took more of a look at them in real life and realized I wasn't 21 anymore and don't collect Gundam robots. Which is really a bummer because it drives SO WELL.

If you liked how the veloster drove, you would LOVE the Type R. I honestly think it's one of the last pure communicative drivers cars.
Before I bought my RS3 (before the GT350), I test drove a few CTRs and Veloster N. The CTR is a much better car, and its looks become more tolerable once you drive one (funny how that works), but the Veloster was fun too in a more juvenile way (which is ironic given the looks compared to the CTR). The Veloster is just kind of pricey for what it is, plus Hyundai stigma/depreciation. I had the same hesitation on the CTR as razorlab once I found out they had heat issues on track out of the box, even in stock form. I could have gotten past the looks, especially given how you could pack all of your wheels/tires/tools in the back for track days.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 03:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Before I bought my RS3 (before the GT350), I test drove a few CTRs and Veloster N. The CTR is a much better car, and its looks become more tolerable once you drive one (funny how that works), but the Veloster was fun too in a more juvenile way (which is ironic given the looks compared to the CTR). The Veloster is just kind of pricey for what it is, plus Hyundai stigma/depreciation. I had the same hesitation on the CTR as razorlab once I found out they had heat issues on track out of the box, even in stock form. I could have gotten past the looks, especially given how you could pack all of your wheels/tires/tools in the back for track days.
Yup, I was VERY close to getting a Type R. I almost could get over the looks because of the capability of the car. It's also surprisingly comfy. The seats are epic. The final deciding factors where the cooling issues, since I was purchasing for track use, and the biggest one was I was trying to be honest with myself to get away from a four door sedan based off an economy car and try something totally new for me. It was hard though, the Type R drives so freaking great.

Ironically, a ton of Type R track guys are selling theirs for Supras now...
Old Jan 5, 2022, 03:37 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
The Type R stock is impressive but have they had much luck getting the heat and limp mode sorted out? Especially with mods?
Old Jan 5, 2022, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
Agreed, I almost bought one. The lack of tuneability and overall build quality kept me away. Then I was seriously looking at Type R's until I did more research and found out about the over heating issues, plus I took more of a look at them in real life and realized I wasn't 21 anymore and don't collect Gundam robots. Which is really a bummer because it drives SO WELL.

If you liked how the veloster drove, you would LOVE the Type R. I honestly think it's one of the last pure communicative drivers cars.
I really do want to drive a Type R but I dont know anyone with one. I have heard they are the best driving FWD car to date, to the point where it barely feels like a FWD car. Again, one of those cars that seem like they would be a fun daily but with their current price tags, no thanks. I like the spaceship look they have!
Old Jan 5, 2022, 04:35 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
I just had a guy in a Supra do a ricer fly by on me, on the freeway. I don't know what gear he was in, but whichever one does about 90 miles up top.
That thing sounded amazing until he hit the off ramp and I heard all the pops and bangs. Even still, that car sounded amazing and I would have considered trading right on the spot had he asked LOL
It may or may not be too bad I couldn't find myself one at a decent price. We'll see how things turn out. When I sell this car next year, maybe I'll pick one up then.
I repeat: the car sounded sick.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 06:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
The Type R stock is impressive but have they had much luck getting the heat and limp mode sorted out? Especially with mods?
The Type R overheating saga is so strange to me.

They obviously invested a lot of engineering into making the motor, suspension, and everything else to perform extremely well despite the constraints of the platform. Then they completely hobbled it all with a botched cooling system.

Old Jan 5, 2022, 06:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Construct
The Type R overheating saga is so strange to me.

They obviously invested a lot of engineering into making the motor, suspension, and everything else to perform extremely well despite the constraints of the platform. Then they completely hobbled it all with a botched cooling system.
I agree. They even upgraded the cooling for the newer years and it still has issues. :shrug:
Old Jan 5, 2022, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

I agree. They even upgraded the cooling for the newer years and it still has issues. :shrug:
Thats a pretty big fail on Hondas part....
Old Jan 5, 2022, 07:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Thats a pretty big fail on Hondas part....
Works fine for two TA flyer laps though! Hahha. Which of course, as I stated above, I could care less about.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Works fine for two TA flyer laps though! Hahha. Which of course, as I stated above, I could care less about.
As true as that is, it's still sad. This is supposed to be Hondas ultimate track car. They knew it already had issues, did some upgrades and didnt fully fix it. How they can't control heat issues on something that makes 300hp blows my mind.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 05:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
While on the topic of civics, as much as I admire the performance of the CTR I think the Si makes a better overall daily. OEM parts are pretty cheap, mods aren't too pricey, gets almost 40mpg highway, has a very neutral balance for a FWD car, and isn't terrible to work on.

I just picked up this little guy to use as a development car for the company. It's an FK7 sport hatch that has all the Si powertrain bits swapped over. I'm really excited to show how capable of a track car these things can be while also being a good daily driver

Old Jan 6, 2022, 05:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Looks like a Type R.

I dunno how I accomplished this being a car enthusiast, but even at 46 years old, I have yet to own a Honda product.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 06:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
It's got a CTR wing and a Mugen lip and the front fenders have been pulled a good bit but when it's sitting next to a CTR the width difference is very apparent.

I get where you're coming from. I never had a Honda until I bought my Fit about a year and a half ago lol
Old Jan 6, 2022, 10:04 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
You guys are missing out. I had an Integra Type-R back in '05-10. Probably the best overall car I've ever owned.
Most comfortable. Best driving position. Best visibility. Best feel. Best build quality (I kid you not)
Best reliability.
​​​​​​
I gave it up for my first Evo. Do I regret it? Not reeeeally but yes. I'm okay with selling the Evo.... Never should have sold the R.
The GSR I owned prior was even better of a street car due to a moonroof.
I've been trying to buy a clean GSR for the past 5yrs. Unobtainium.
​​​​​
Old Jan 6, 2022, 11:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
3 Preludes, a CRX Si, an EF Hatch and an Accord in my past (all 90s cars), and an 01 S2K currently (plus a Honda mower and a Honda powered pressure washer). If I had a nickel for every person who told me they used to have an S2K and never should have sold it... I am always on the lookout for a mint 90-91 CRX Si in red -- my favorite car ever. Someday I'll be one of those crazies who pays $30k for a stock CRX on BaT.

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?