Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2022, 04:29 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Crzykdd
"Jack of all trades and master of none...."
Got yo' back.
The following users liked this post:
Crzykdd (Jan 25, 2022)
Old Jan 25, 2022, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj

As for low/wide: You should see it next to the Evo. The mustang is as wide as a Viper but lower than the Evo. Having them parked next to each other was a really interesting thing to see.

You should post a photo! ;-) I hear ya on building a car and being burnt out. That was the attraction of going to the EVO from my 1G DSM way back when, as the EVO right out of the box was a much much better car!
Old Jan 25, 2022, 04:48 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Crzykdd
You should post a photo! ;-) I hear ya on building a car and being burnt out. That was the attraction of going to the EVO from my 1G DSM way back when, as the EVO right out of the box was a much much better car!
I have the Evo locked up on my back patio right now, so can't get the cars together for a picture, just yet. Next time I have it out, I'll be sure to.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 05:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I was in comfort mode, so the car was probably more compliant that any other mode. Seeing how the Evo is always in "track mode", that could have something to do with it. Also, the Mustang has fancy magnetic shocks, so there's that.
There is definitely something to be said for modern tech.
I've had some purists give me a hard time for "bought not built". But I look at it like this:
I've already built a hand full of cars. I deserve a break. The Mustang has everything I'd do to it anyway: Brembos, Recaros, lightweight/big wheels that I could never get on my own, big rubber, decent aero, 500+hp, decent exhaust, and I don't have to mod the engine. All I've done is pay for the mods up front and had the Ford technicians do the install for me. With a warranty. It all ends up the same, anyway. The fact that it may be faster than something someone else built isn't my fault. With the Evo, I kept hearing a guy complain about always being beat by a "500hp Evo that drives itself", so peeps are always gonna whine when you are faster.
TLDR: I'm gonna enjoy the crap out of this car for the next 12mos.

As for low/wide: You should see it next to the Evo. The mustang is as wide as a Viper but lower than the Evo. Having them parked next to each other was a really interesting thing to see.
I guarantee once you get it on track you will start doing mods.

The amount of times I have had track buddies “graduate” to Porsches, saying they won’t mod anything, then mod things after a couple track events…
Old Jan 25, 2022, 05:26 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by razorlab
I guarantee once you get it on track you will start doing mods.

The amount of times I have had track buddies “graduate” to Porsches, saying they won’t mod anything, then mod things after a couple track events…
You underestimate my I'm-tired-of-putting-money-into-cars-ness. The car has everything I'd want to put on it. When I had my Type-R, all I did was wheels/tires/brake pads. It also had everything I wanted already done. It was really, really nice to just drive it. I bought the Mustang because I wouldn't have to modify anything. It's going to be nice taking about 10 steps back and doing the "track day car" thing again. I've only kept the Evo an extra two years because I haven't had to mod it any more. To go faster I would, so it's going bye bye.
I'm 100% moving away from the "race car" thing.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 07:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
You underestimate my I'm-tired-of-putting-money-into-cars-ness. The car has everything I'd want to put on it. When I had my Type-R, all I did was wheels/tires/brake pads. It also had everything I wanted already done. It was really, really nice to just drive it. I bought the Mustang because I wouldn't have to modify anything. It's going to be nice taking about 10 steps back and doing the "track day car" thing again. I've only kept the Evo an extra two years because I haven't had to mod it any more. To go faster I would, so it's going bye bye.
I'm 100% moving away from the "race car" thing.
wheels/tires/brake pads are mods

I’m in the same mode as you but I’m still doing suspension, grip and brake mods. The supra is literally the first car I haven’t ecu tuned the first week I owned it. My Evo 10 and Ralliart I ecu tuned within the first hour of owning them. Hah.

I just want to enjoy the Supra without having to worry about crap all the time.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 08:02 PM
kaj

wheels/tires/brake pads are mods

I’m in the same mode as you but I’m still doing suspension, grip and brake mods. The supra is literally the first car I haven’t ecu tuned the first week I owned it. My Evo 10 and Ralliart I ecu tuned within the first hour of owning them. Hah.

Thinking like that is why all the guys parked at McDonald's calls their car a "build"

But seriously, not worrying has spoiled me. I haven't touched the Evo in... Forever. I've grown accustomed to just driving. But now I want to go faster AND not worry.
So I guess here we are LOL
Old Jan 25, 2022, 08:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
Thinking like that is why all the guys parked at McDonald's calls their car a "build"

But seriously, not worrying has spoiled me. I haven't touched the Evo in... Forever. I've grown accustomed to just driving. But now I want to go faster AND not worry.
So I guess here we are LOL
I look forward to seeing you get camber plates and other things for the GT350
Old Jan 25, 2022, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
I am taking the Supra out on a 2 day event (autocross) this weekend. You know what I expect to do to it? Nothing, other than drive it. Although my evo is like that too so i cant complain. Haha. Never had to work on it at an event. Good maintenance goes a long ways.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 03:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
I got my GT350 for the same reason as kaj -- I just want to be able to do track days and focus on my driving, not the car. I also have no plans to modify to increase performance. Safety, brakes and mods to increase tire wear are not mods I enjoy modding cars for fun as well and am not getting rid of the Evo any time soon, but I *HATE* working on the car against a track day or autocross deadline. Having the Mustang gives me the ability to take my time with Evo mods and not feel rushed. I similarly have no desire to mod my S2000. It just gets driven and enjoyed like a normal car.

The Evo was never a nice car to drive stock. The fact that it's an RS doesn't help I suppose. I bought it new with an eye to modifying it from day one. By contrast, the S2000 and GT350 are actually nice street cars in stock form.

Taking a comfy late model street car and ruining it for street use is so stupid to me, yet so common. And then you have the cars that are ruined and only used for cars and coffee. Kills me...
Old Jan 26, 2022, 06:15 AM
EvoM Guru

You guys are cute stating that changing OEM parts to aftermarket isn't modding as long as it's "just a couple things".

It's okay, we are all in the same addiction.

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
I am taking the Supra out on a 2 day event (autocross) this weekend. You know what I expect to do to it? Nothing, other than drive it. Although my evo is like that too so i cant complain. Haha. Never had to work on it at an event. Good maintenance goes a long ways.
I really wish I enjoyed autocross more. It would have saved me so much money and pain over the years compared to open tracking. I did a couple autocross events about 15+ years ago and quickly realized it wasn't for me.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 08:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
You guys are cute stating that changing OEM parts to aftermarket isn't modding as long as it's "just a couple things".

It's okay, we are all in the same addiction.

I really wish I enjoyed autocross more. It would have saved me so much money and pain over the years compared to open tracking. I did a couple autocross events about 15+ years ago and quickly realized it wasn't for me.
I dont know man. Autocross is still expensive. I think the trick is to pick the right car for the class and stay stock-ish and streetable. Open track events just makes you keep upgrading
Old Jan 26, 2022, 08:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
I dont know man. Autocross is still expensive. I think the trick is to pick the right car for the class and stay stock-ish and streetable. Open track events just makes you keep upgrading
Talking more about wear and tear. As you know, open tracking puts a billion more amounts of heat and stress on the car compared to parking lot cone dancing.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 08:55 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Certainly comes down to what level you're tying to play in. I could open track cheaper than competitive autocross because that last 10% gets REEAAALLY expensive. 8-10k annual budget for mods/maintenance now.

But I also don't have depreciation and most of that is a tax deduction for me.

A new Supra playing on track I would suspect you can get a handful of days on a set of tires and brakes? Depending on the tire of course.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 09:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
Talking more about wear and tear. As you know, open tracking puts a billion more amounts of heat and stress on the car compared to parking lot cone dancing.
yeah but the torque with lower gears is pretty harsh. Would be more expensive if you do both type of racing I guess

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?