Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2022, 09:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
yeah but the torque with lower gears is pretty harsh. Would be more expensive if you do both type of racing I guess
Great example I have is spending over $4,000 on a Trophy BBK. I would have never had to even come close to having to upgrade to something like that doing circles in a parking lot.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 09:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Great example I have is spending over $4,000 on a Trophy BBK. I would have never had to even come close to having to upgrade to something like that doing circles in a parking lot.
I have 2 TC's and 2 rear diffs the thing with the autox hobby is you need to be up and running for the next event/club or those perfect-attendance-types will win the jacket and show pics of cars-he-beat-this-year lol
Old Jan 26, 2022, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Hey hey hey, this isnt mini nascar in a parking lot! We turn right and left! I honestly think auto-x is more complex than big track stuff. You make one tiny mistake and thats the difference from 1st place and 5th. .010 is typically the difference per position. We have a ton of great drivers in my series so that makes things even more interesting. The only thing I dont like is how they class cars. How they class my Supra with 800hp 2700 lb Corvettes, I have no idea.

Maintenance for me for the year is just tires. That would be a total of 12 days of racing.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Autocrossing is like speed chess. Driving on a track (i.e., track days and time trials, not W2W) is like slo mo by comparison. I like both and they definitely complement each other from a driving skill standpoint. I don't think I've ever seen a good autocrosser who didn't hit the ground running on track, but there are plenty of track guys who are horrible at autocross.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Autocrossing is like speed chess. Driving on a track is like slo mo by comparison. I like both and they definitely complement each other from a driving skill standpoint. I don't think I've ever seen a good autocrosser who didn't hit the ground running on track, but there are plenty of track guys who are horrible at autocross.
My buddy and I were yelled at for signing up as 'beginners' in our first track event, because we were "terrorizing" the beginners. In intermediate class, we got 'this is track, not autox. watch&learn' - lecture. we beat them lol.

I agree. you need to flip to track mode or autox mode. I dont do this enough, some track guys say autocrossers have bad racing lines on track. before I take anyone's advice i first find out if they have a disposable track car. there's just too many track-only racing heros

Autox to me is hold-your-breath 110% driving mode. The braking box alone gives me the shakes
The following users liked this post:
EVO8LTW (Jan 26, 2022)
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Pardon the pun but I love the twists and turns this thread takes. Auto-x is a low risk adrenaline junky's dream. Track is a high risk adrenaline junky's dream.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by terror rising
Track is a high risk adrenaline junky's dream.
I do not agree with this. There's plenty of prestige-only types. Mind you there's the Optima Ultimate autox now too
Old Jan 26, 2022, 01:25 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
I prefer AutoX over Track cause how hard Im comfortable pushing things. I hate long straights on tracks, might as well be drag racing. But good tracks are still tons of fun.

But when things go sideways.... Id rather be looking at cones at 60 than a wall at 120.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 01:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Autocrossing is like speed chess. Driving on a track (i.e., track days and time trials, not W2W) is like slo mo by comparison. I like both and they definitely complement each other from a driving skill standpoint. I don't think I've ever seen a good autocrosser who didn't hit the ground running on track, but there are plenty of track guys who are horrible at autocross.
Thats not true at all, I've come across experienced autox'rs that just get put a decent lap together their first day or 2. And this isn't just observing, this is talking to them and hearing their frustrations. And they're not just slow in their head, I've passed an guys with 2-3x the power (bolt on evo vs miata) and equal or better tires on track, same guys are top 5 finishers at autox's.

I'm not saying this is the norm, but not every good autox'r is gonna hit the track and be fast right away. (see below for more)

My buddy and I were yelled at for signing up as 'beginners' in our first track event, because we were "terrorizing" the beginners. In intermediate class, we got 'this is track, not autox. watch&learn' - lecture. we beat them lol.
I mean even an ok autox'r is gonna be a lot quicker than a normal drivers first time to a track day. And yes most experienced autox'rs will land somewhere between intermediate and advanced, but thats not always the case.

I agree. you need to flip to track mode or autox mode. I dont do this enough, some track guys say autocrossers have bad racing lines on track. before I take anyone's advice i first find out if they have a disposable track car. there's just too many track-only racing heros
I'm completely with you on this, and its not just autox'rs lines. sometimes different cars and different drivers are quicker doing a different line than the one guy that established himself the gate keeper
ViciousLSD (Jan 26, 2022)
Old Jan 26, 2022, 01:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
But when things go sideways.... Id rather be looking at cones at 60 than a wall at 120.
25mph sideways on grass toward a tire wall is the norm
the worst I've seen is rolling backwards after spin and into a ditch(whatchumacall those things for water drain)
Old Jan 26, 2022, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
None of the big tracks around me have grass. So when you go off track, you better believe you are going to be off roading through some rocks and dirt, then into the ditch. I would much rather spit a few cones out from under the car...
Old Jan 26, 2022, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Whenever I watch a friends auto-x video, I'm constantly wondering where the hell the track/next corner is...I think I would get cross eyed with the cones and get lost constantly, lol!
SoSoEVO (Jan 31, 2022)
Old Jan 26, 2022, 02:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
None of the big tracks around me have grass. So when you go off track, you better believe you are going to be off roading through some rocks and dirt, then into the ditch. I would much rather spit a few cones out from under the car...
I noticed its mostly desert over there the eastern US got uber nice tracks it feels youre not supposed to be there lol
Old Jan 26, 2022, 02:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Crzykdd
Whenever I watch a friends auto-x video, I'm constantly wondering where the hell the track/next corner is...I think I would get cross eyed with the cones and get lost constantly, lol!
you get a free map! yeah its hard to video. i think I may have lost FB friends each i time I post one
Old Jan 26, 2022, 03:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Crzykdd
map and walking the track before most people usually figure it out, even just driving it without a walk is a lot easier than trying to figure out whats going in from a vid

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?