Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2022, 08:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
None of the big tracks around me have grass. So when you go off track, you better believe you are going to be off roading through some rocks and dirt, then into the ditch. I would much rather spit a few cones out from under the car...
I'd much rather have dirt than grass. You hit grass and the car actually accelerates and you have zero control. It's basically ice. Grass will suck the car into a wall. With dirt at least you have a fighting chance compared.

I have a couple of events this year at this track. It has not only grass and dirt but HUGE ROCKS AND WALLS. Huge elevation changes and lots of camber. Yay what fun!

The following users liked this post:
Jaraxle (Jan 30, 2022)
Old Jan 27, 2022, 08:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
I'd much rather have dirt than grass. You hit grass and the car actually accelerates and you have zero control. It's basically ice. Grass will suck the car into a wall. With dirt at least you have a fighting chance compared.
How about snow on grass? Here’s a shot of Sam Strano’s car last week participating in the local Refridgerator Bowl trackcross series at Summit Point. It was below freezing temps too.

Old Jan 27, 2022, 08:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
How about snow on grass?
Now that I live in an area that sees actual winters, I would love to try some ice/snow racing. There was a snow event last weekend that I almost brought my VW Alltrack to but it was a tad too far away. Lime Rock has snow events but they are basically "Car control clinics" and cost $500+. I would rather just find a big empty parking lot when it snows.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 08:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
I went sideways and slo mo sliding at Lime Rock's Big Bend. I extended my arm like Neo and said "No.". the tire wall stopped.
The following users liked this post:
kaj (Jan 27, 2022)
Old Jan 27, 2022, 08:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
I went sideways and slo mo sliding at Lime Rock's Big Bend. I extended my arm like Neo and said "No.". the tire wall stopped.
Lime Rock is my new "home track". It's about 45 mins away. I look forward to it in the spring. It looks very bland, short and boring but after studying a lot of videos, it's more than meets the eye for sure.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-park-feature/
Old Jan 27, 2022, 08:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I would love to do W2W at an affordable cost where everyone would be in a comparable car. So far, the only way I know to do that is karting (or iRacing).
That's exactly what B spec is. I see people selling B spec cars with spares for $10-14k a few times a year. The rules are fairly regulated and not absurd like spec miata has gotten in the past few years.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 08:51 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
You hit grass and the car actually accelerates
I hear track guys say this all the time and it bugs me like people saying "heighth". The car doesn't accelerate. Accelerating assuming rate of change of velocity. It just stops decelerating with the sudden loss of lateral acceleration. So there's a rate of change of acceleration, or a Jerk. But no velocity change which would imply somehow grass adds energy to the system.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 08:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
I hear track guys say this all the time and it bugs me like people saying "heighth". The car doesn't accelerate. Accelerating assuming rate of change of velocity. It just stops decelerating with the sudden loss of lateral acceleration. So there's a rate of change of acceleration, or a Jerk. But no velocity change which would imply somehow grass adds energy to the system.
You are right, I was being dramatic. It doesn't slow down like it would on dirt so it feels like it's actually going faster towards the wall then when you where still on pavement. Usually, if the car was sliding on pavement, as soon as it hits grass, it will spin instead of sliding, so it again feels like acceleration. Same feeling as when you go from snow to ice.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 08:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Lime Rock is my new "home track". It's about 45 mins away. I look forward to it in the spring. It looks very bland, short and boring but after studying a lot of videos, it's more than meets the eye for sure.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-park-feature/
yeah not enough passing zones. thats where developed my hate for e30 m3s lol.
EMRA (https://www.emraracing.org/) might still be around. you might want to look into their schedule. They were the most down to earth club in that area
Old Jan 27, 2022, 08:56 AM
EvoM Guru

You are right, I was being dramatic. It doesn't slow down like it would on dirt so it feels like it's actually going faster towards the wall then when you where still on pavement. Usually, if the car was sliding on pavement, as soon as it hits grass, it will spin instead of sliding, so it again feels like acceleration. Same feeling as when you go from snow to ice.
dont forget the grassy area is sloped for water drainage
Old Jan 27, 2022, 08:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
Gridlife will be at Lime Rock this year. I think you could do pretty well in their Street GT class with the Supra.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 08:57 AM
EvoM Guru

yeah not enough passing zones. thats where developed my hate for e30 m3s lol.
EMRA (https://www.emraracing.org/) might still be around. you might want to look into their schedule. They were the most down to earth club in that area
Thanks, I'll check them out. One thing I noticed with almost all track groups here is that EVERY GROUP is point by. Even advanced. No open passing. Which I anticipate will drive me crazy. I feel like the California track scene was much more relaxed. For better and worse.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 08:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Gridlife will be at Lime Rock this year. I think you could do pretty well in their Street GT class with the Supra.
Need to learn the car and track first but I will most likely attend that event, at the very least to watch.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 09:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Thanks, I'll check them out. One thing I noticed with almost all track groups here is that EVERY GROUP is point by. Even advanced. No open passing. Which I anticipate will drive me crazy. I feel like the California track scene was much more relaxed. For better and worse.
Must be insurance related. Those tracks are the 'historic' ones and sometime you get to run with 'historic' cars with 'historic' drivers
Old Jan 27, 2022, 09:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Must be insurance related. Those tracks are the 'historic' ones and sometime you get to run with 'historic' cars with 'historic' drivers
Seems like all the track groups here are like that, not just Lime Rock. Palmer and NYST are not historic tracks and basically brand new in the grand view of history.

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?