Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2022, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 196 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
There is always that one Corvette...
I remember in one of my PCA class time sessions the instructor said "so you're driving thinking your hot $hit and now someone is in your rear mirror; guess what? He's faster than you cause he wasn't there a lap ago! So suck it up and point'em by"

Full disclosure: I was running a Z06 in this Porsche Club of America track day at Watkins Glen. And no; I wasn't THAT GUY....

Old Jan 30, 2022, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 196 Likes on 128 Posts
Lime Rock is my new "home track". It's about 45 mins away. I look forward to it in the spring. It looks very bland, short and boring but after studying a lot of videos, it's more than meets the eye for sure.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-park-feature/
I avoided NYST for some time thinking it would be lame as it was designed for motorcycles. I was pleasantly surprised how technical it actually it is, and fun. The only bad thing is there are a few corners that are OFF CAMBER, which for obvious reasons isn't great. So don't leave NYST off your list of possibilities this year.

Old Jan 30, 2022, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Thats because there are no other advantages in cali.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 01:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaraxle
I avoided NYST for some time thinking it would be lame as it was designed for motorcycles. I was pleasantly surprised how technical it actually it is, and fun. The only bad thing is there are a few corners that are OFF CAMBER, which for obvious reasons isn't great. So don't leave NYST off your list of possibilities this year.
Yea, I have an event there on my birthday, June 30th.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 03:30 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Grimgrak
Thats because there are no other advantages in cali.
absolutely none.

Old Jan 30, 2022, 03:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
absolutely none.

I don't remember Fresno looking like that.

This is what I remember:

The following 2 users liked this post by RazorLab:
Lumpy Sticks (Jan 30, 2022), slocho (Jan 30, 2022)
Old Jan 30, 2022, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
Well guys, I ended up 3rd. Not bad for a pretty much stock Supra (wheels and bad 200tw tires) going up against modded vettes and porsches. One of these days I'll find time to install all my suspension stuff and hopefully end up on top. Best part of the weekend is all that I had to work on was tire psi!
The following 3 users liked this post by Lumpy Sticks:
kaj (Jan 30, 2022), RazorLab (Jan 30, 2022), SoSoEVO (Jan 31, 2022)
Old Jan 30, 2022, 06:36 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Well guys, I ended up 3rd. Not bad for a pretty much stock Supra (wheels and bad 200tw tires) going up against modded vettes and porsches. One of these days I'll find time to install all my suspension stuff and hopefully end up on top. Best part of the weekend is all that I had to work on was tire psi!
Thats what happens when you bring a Supra to an Evo fight

One day I'd like to spend a session in a Supra, have some friends with them. One I was watching I think he's leaving the shifting in auto cause on exit I keep hearing a shift/delay when he should be fully accelerating.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 06:47 PM
kaj

I don't remember Fresno looking like that.

This is what I remember:
My bad. I thought we were talking about California
Old Jan 30, 2022, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Thats what happens when you bring a Supra to an Evo fight

One day I'd like to spend a session in a Supra, have some friends with them. One I was watching I think he's leaving the shifting in auto cause on exit I keep hearing a shift/delay when he should be fully accelerating.
Well if I had brought the evo, I would be in a different class. The one with a 1000hp awd lambo, new nsx, awd ls swapped 911, couple gt3rs...... no thanks.

You do need to drive one! They keep you on your toes. Mine is a lot more lively than my evo. I do have to say, track dependant, auto shift mode is quite awesome. It's normally spot on. I leave it in auto but turn all the traction control stuff off.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 07:37 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Well if I had brought the evo, I would be in a different class. The one with a 1000hp awd lambo, new nsx, awd ls swapped 911, couple gt3rs...... no thanks.

You do need to drive one! They keep you on your toes. Mine is a lot more lively than my evo. I do have to say, track dependant, auto shift mode is quite awesome. It's normally spot on. I leave it in auto but turn all the traction control stuff off.
I wouldn't be worried about any of those cars on raw. #SMEvo :P

Now, I would love to own some of them... namely the GT3 RS but Im gonna need to sell a lot more parts for that.

I really am crap in getting everything out of RWD if it has power. I'm so use to AWD or low power RWD that my brain stops working once HP and traction limits are combined. I think a supra would be a great step change in learning that.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 07:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
I'm stoked about moving down to the Carolinas. Nice enough weather year round, 5 good tracks within 5 hours, no outrageous taxes, reasonable housing prices, within short driving distance to mountains, and can go to the beach on weekends if desired.

Originally Posted by Dallas J
I wouldn't be worried about any of those cars on raw. #SMEvo :P

Now, I would love to own some of them... namely the GT3 RS but Im gonna need to sell a lot more parts for that.

I really am crap in getting everything out of RWD if it has power. I'm so use to AWD or low power RWD that my brain stops working once HP and traction limits are combined. I think a supra would be a great step change in learning that.
Wet seat time has helped me a ton with throttle modulation. My car spins through 3rd and halfway through 4th if you use the throttle poorly enough in the wet lol
Old Jan 31, 2022, 07:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
My bad. I thought we were talking about California
California is the third largest state and Fresno is not one of the shining parts of it. :P
Old Jan 31, 2022, 09:00 AM
kaj

California is the third largest state and Fresno is not one of the shining parts of it. :P
I dunno. I'm pretty happy with it. I don't plan on going anywhere else.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 09:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I dunno. I'm pretty happy with it. I don't plan on going anywhere else.
i like the ghettos too lol
The following users liked this post:
RazorLab (Jan 31, 2022)

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?