Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2022, 11:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Crzykdd
Talk about nuts home pricing, this home 2 houses over from my place just sold, was listed at 1.625 million, there were a ton of people at the open house and now has a "sold" sign on it a week later. Still needs some work too:

https://intero.com/listing/CA/San-Jo...5130/148731336

The way homes have skyrocketed up, there will never be a family home that lists for less than a million in the SF Bay Area ever again, unless there is some sort of major economic collapse, which is not likely.
LMAO. Our house on .6 acre (that house above is .1 acre) with a little more sq footage, built in the same year was 1/4 of that price. lol. One big reason we moved.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 12:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
Lol I need to start doing whatever y'all are doing for work. In SC you can build a new 2,500sqft house for low-mid 300s, high 300s if you want a large garage.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 12:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
Lol I need to start doing whatever y'all are doing for work. In SC you can build a new 2,500sqft house for low-mid 300s, high 300s if you want a large garage.
I'm a Director of Engineering and the lady is a CFO. Every time we go visit houses we wonder what in the world people do. Not everyone in the DFW metroplex can be a doctor so where is all of this money coming from? And we live well below our means but our budget started as "let's not go over 450" and now we're on to "I think we can swing 750".
Old Jan 31, 2022, 12:40 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
In my line of work, I make at least twice as much as any other state. I also have the lowest (safest) ratios on the country. I also have the second cheapest living costs in CA for 2021 (which is why bay area peeps are swarming in).
It would take an act of good to get me to move. I love it here.
And I'm still wearing shorts and a t-shirt.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 12:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by terror rising
I'm a Director of Engineering and the lady is a CFO. Every time we go visit houses we wonder what in the world people do. Not everyone in the DFW metroplex can be a doctor so where is all of this money coming from? And we live well below our means but our budget started as "let's not go over 450" and now we're on to "I think we can swing 750".
Hahhaha we did the same thing in California but add $200k to each of those numbers. We never thought we could get a house that wasn't a fixer upper in a terrible neighborhood. Then we saw that prices on the East Coast were easily half that and promptly moved. I was in California for 38 years, my wife was in California for 20 years.

The weather here absolutely sucks compared to California though. However, we aren't on fire for six months out of the year.

Last edited by razorlab; Jan 31, 2022 at 12:59 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 12:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by terror rising
I think people are so comfortable borrowing money. I admit I am not, which is probably bad. I paid of my house in 5years and buy cars cash
Old Jan 31, 2022, 01:13 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Well, we bought a house for 230k and 100k (mine and wifes), when we sold we got 280 and 130k, rolled that into new house and paid off her student loans. New house was 395k paid down to 330k, sold for 730k. New house build, property, and shop are about 900k but houses that will start after our will start out 25% higher.

It just kinda keeps rolling. If we sold our house next year it would likely be 7figure.

Me - Senior Mech Eng and SSB, Wife - RN. We don't make SF tech salaries but we do well enough.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I think existing home prices will be high for as long as we have high costs for new home material costs. I work in new home construction and we don't see raw lumber coming down through 2023 (probably longer because Socal gets lumber from south america) and processed lumber (anything made from raw lumber, anything MDF, resin). We have to pay more for material which gets passed onto the home buyer through home builders. I have heard getting appliances is very hard and some homes are sold without appliances and just a credit voucher. Strange times.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 02:04 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by lv05evo
Strange times.
That sums it up.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 02:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
firkin lumber is so cheap. they dont even use treated pine wood. realtors/car salesmen are the evil in this world
Old Jan 31, 2022, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 196 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
The weather here absolutely sucks compared to California though. However, we aren't on fire for six months out of the year.
Being from upstate NY, I hate the taxes and the long winter. But that is IT. No droughts, hurricanes, tornados, fires, earthquakes, plagues, nothing... just crazy taxes and a yearly winter that sometimes is mild and other time horrible. But it is DEFINED and manageable.
I read an article about a guy doing bitcoin mining and outside was -20F but his pool was 92F (it was his heat exchanger to get rid of the fan noise) and I thought that would certainly help get through the winter!
LOL - or maybe serious?

Old Jan 31, 2022, 03:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jaraxle
Being from upstate NY, I hate the taxes and the long winter. But that is IT. No droughts, hurricanes, tornados, fires, earthquakes, plagues, nothing... just crazy taxes and a yearly winter that sometimes is mild and other time horrible. But it is DEFINED and manageable.
I read an article about a guy doing bitcoin mining and outside was -20F but his pool was 92F (it was his heat exchanger to get rid of the fan noise) and I thought that would certainly help get through the winter!
LOL - or maybe serious?
Apparently, you forgot about the hurricane that went through like five states (one of which was New York) this summer? lol

And yea, whats that about no plagues?

Old Jan 31, 2022, 06:00 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Jaraxle
LOL - or maybe serious?
Interesting take on other states.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
National news offered by all sources today is super sensational, creating baseless impressions of reality.
The idea what California is like, is distorted even among individuals who live in it, let alone across the nation, sadly.

I have seen nice and not so nice places in all states I visited, and where we settle is function of our own perception of opportunity and value.
My choice is no better then others choice, it's like the food we enjoy, and other choices we make in life.

I see that all of you have a nice lifestyle, and have been flourishing professionally and in your hobbies.
Likely, the creativity enabling you to apply yourself in your automotive hobby, is also enabling you to achieve prosperity.
The following 3 users liked this post by alpinaturbo:
slocho (Feb 3, 2022), ViciousLSD (Feb 3, 2022), zeRep85RA (Feb 3, 2022)
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:05 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
National news offered by all sources today is super sensational, creating baseless impressions of reality.
The idea what California is like, is distorted even among individuals who live in it, let alone across the nation, sadly.

I have seen nice and not so nice places in all states I visited, and where we settle is function of our own perception of opportunity and value.
My choice is no better then others choice, it's like the food we enjoy, and other choices we make in life.

I see that all of you have a nice lifestyle, and have been flourishing professionally and in your hobbies.
Likely, the creativity enabling you to apply yourself in your automotive hobby, is also enabling you to achieve prosperity.
Sh! I'm trying to get everyone out of California so I'll have less traffic to contend with.

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?