Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2022, 05:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
little off topic, but is that the Garmin Catalyst you have mounted or do you have a giant phone? if the Catalyst, how do you like it? Why did you choose it over something like the Aim Solo 2 which can do OBD2 integration (and maybe other stuff?). I'm thinking of upgrading from my phone+gps+obd2 dongle setup whenever I get around to finishing my Miata so I'm curious
Yea, it's a catalyst. Like it so far although I didn't use any of the coaching and learning features at the event as I was concentrating on not stuffing the car into a wall. Was great to play back videos and see the optimum lines compared to my lines after the fact though. I will give more input the more I use it. I chose it over AIM and others because the data is super easy to get to and understand.

I do love that it's so bright and easy to see the time. I am hoping they offer OBD2 integration at some point. It's basically just an android tablet so it's pretty easy to upgrade.

Here is some video from the camera it comes with. Pretty impressive actually for how small the camera is. I did notice that the GPS mph was off by about 10mph in the straight compared to the video I posted above, but spot on in the corners. Kind of weird. I don't think my smaller diameter tires would throw it off that much but I should probably do the math and find out.

EDIT: did the math, looks like at 115 mph, the new tire/wheel setup would be showing approx 8mph higher than actual mph. So yea, not far off.

Last edited by razorlab; Mar 20, 2022 at 06:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
EVO196 (Mar 28, 2022)
Old Mar 20, 2022, 06:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Yea, it's a catalyst. Like it so far although I didn't use any of the coaching and learning features at the event as I was concentrating on not stuffing the car into a wall. Was great to play back videos and see the optimum lines compared to my lines after the fact though. I will give more input the more I use it. I chose it over AIM and others because the data is super easy to get to and understand.

I do love that it's so bright and easy to see the time. I am hoping they offer OBD2 integration at some point. It's basically just an android tablet so it's pretty easy to upgrade.

Here is some video from the camera it comes with. Pretty impressive actually for how small the camera is. I did notice that the GPS mph was off by about 10mph in the straight compared to the video I posted above, but spot on in the corners. Kind of weird. I don't think my smaller diameter tires would throw it off that much but I should probably do the math and find out.

EDIT: did the math, looks like at 115 mph, the new tire/wheel setup would be showing approx 8mph higher than actual mph. So yea, not far off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oPdvuFnB9k
thats weird that GPS is off straight line but accurate in the corners, usually its the other way around...

as far as OBD2, I mean you can prolly get the tablet to pick it up with a separate app, but have it integrated into the Garmin software... right? This is the biggest negative of the Garmin in my book... it seams to be better than the Aim in every other way. anyway, looking forward to more thoughts as you use it more, see if the other features outweigh OBD2...
Old Mar 20, 2022, 06:39 PM
EvoM Guru

thats weird that GPS is off straight line but accurate in the corners, usually its the other way around...
Doing the math with my new wheel/tire combo. My Speedo will be higher by about 3-4mph at 60mph and 7-8mph at 115mph. I did think it was odd that my speedo was indicating 124mph in the straight. The straight wasn't that long. haha. I also think the Supra speedo is about 3mph faster than actual mph too. You can change that in Bimmercode, I will when I get some time.

as far as OBD2, I mean you can prolly get the tablet to pick it up with a separate app, but have it integrated into the Garmin software... right? This is the biggest negative of the Garmin in my book... it seams to be better than the Aim in every other way. anyway, looking forward to more thoughts as you use it more, see if the other features outweigh OBD2...
Yea, agreed. What I am saying is it would be "easier" for Garmin to update to OBD2 logging because it's a glorified android device. In the meantime, I plan on CAN logging with my Racecapture device, I just need to hook it up.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 07:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Doing the math with my new wheel/tire combo. My Speedo will be higher by about 3-4mph at 60mph and 7-8mph at 115mph. I did think it was odd that my speedo was indicating 124mph in the straight. The straight wasn't that long. haha. I also think the Supra speedo is about 3mph faster than actual mph too. You can change that in Bimmercode, I will when I get some time.
my bad, between reading your answer on my phone and replying on my pc, I missed the edit. That makes more sense. I've seen in car vid at my local track where you can see the Garmin overlay and the car's speedo and it seams to be spot on. That prolly varies occasionally since its GPS speed and it depends on reception, but overall it looks to be working a lot better than phone+GPS dongle.

Yea, agreed. What I am saying is it would be "easier" for Garmin to update to OBD2 logging because it's a glorified android device. In the meantime, I plan on CAN logging with my Racecapture device, I just need to hook it up.
oh I see what you mean, yeah, agreed. I'm just really surprised its not a feature from launch... a few years back Garmin made an action cam that had OBD2, maybe the take rate their was low so they left it off here. But that thing wasn't nearly as track focused as the Catalyst is
Old Mar 21, 2022, 02:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Interesting conditions for your first outing. Looking forwards to reading your reviews with some dry weather running hopefully in the not too distant future. When is your next planned outing?
Old Mar 25, 2022, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm about to order a set of tractive coilovers for my exige after installing the ttx which i didn't realize were only 2 way and the high speed compression from the semi trucks on the highway were jostling me around way too much. Turns out the tractive are cheaper too well that's cuz i got the mechatronix for cockpit adjustment of the ttx.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts

race weekend #2 of the year starts tomorrow. Got it prepped and ready to go.
EVO196 (Mar 28, 2022)
Old Mar 27, 2022, 01:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Had another track day at Lime Rock yesterday and guess what, rainy and cold again. This time it was even colder at a sweltering 43F. I installed a front sway bar last week and it made a good difference in the stability of the car. It felt like it wanted to kill me less in the wet this time.

Last session it stopped raining and the line was drying up a little bit. Was still really cold so I didn't have much traction with the 200 TW tires. I almost lost it into a wall the session before this one so I was a little spooked. You can see in the video that Lime Rock is a very unforgiving track. I am at least 20 secs off pace of a well driven supra in warmer and dry weather but I do feel like I am learning the track now. Really waiting for some warmer and drier weather! It's snowing here today.

Enjoy another video of me being a slow poke.

EVO196 (Mar 28, 2022)
Old Mar 27, 2022, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Should have taken the evo pilot ap4's
Old Mar 27, 2022, 04:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Grimgrak
Should have taken the evo pilot ap4's
I thought about bringing the AWD Golf Wagon with Michelin PS AS4's. I probably should have, lol.

There was an S3 in advanced with all-seasons annihilating everyone, lol.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

And today in SoCal it was 75° and sunny...... you miss the weather yet?

I myself had a good weekend of racing. Track got greasy at the end of the day yesterday. Today was perfect. I had a second improvement every session which landed me in 4th. .2 behind a supra with all the fancy suspension bits. I'll take it. Not bad for a stock car with horrible 200tw tires.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Is there such a thing as horrible 200tw tires?
Old Mar 28, 2022, 03:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Grimgrak
Is there such a thing as horrible 200tw tires?
That's exactly what I was thinking
Old Mar 28, 2022, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
He uses Falken RT615K+. Not the best 200 tw tire.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lv05evo
He uses Falken RT615K+. Not the best 200 tw tire.
This^^^^^ and they are at the wear bars.

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?