Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2022, 08:29 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Wow... thats just sad. Did you get in contact with my broker? He just got me a msrp deal through longo on my soon to be 86. You want me to ask him for you?
I did. At the time, I had a trade-in situation I was also interested in. Once I told him what I had and what I was looking for, he never replied. He didn't give me a chance to talk about any other offers LOL
I'm old and stubborn, so if I'm trying to throw $50,000 at someone and they can't bother to write back, I'm not going to bother chasing them.
No hard feelings, of course. Plenty of fish in the sea. I take it as a sign it's not meant to be.
Old May 20, 2022, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I did. At the time, I had a trade-in situation I was also interested in. Once I told him what I had and what I was looking for, he never replied. He didn't give me a chance to talk about any other offers LOL
I'm old and stubborn, so if I'm trying to throw $50,000 at someone and they can't bother to write back, I'm not going to bother chasing them.
No hard feelings, of course. Plenty of fish in the sea. I take it as a sign it's not meant to be.
That sucks. Sorry I referred you to a dud. He has been good to me but maybe only cause im a repeat customer. He doesn't deal with trade-ins so that could be it too. Well, good luck in your search!

Got mine all cleaned up and ready for a weekend of racing! Hopefully I can hold the class lead for another weekend.

The following 2 users liked this post by Lumpy Sticks:
JDZNate (May 21, 2022), kaj (May 20, 2022)
Old May 21, 2022, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Ended up in 2nd today. My rear tires are done. Hopefully I can do better tomorrow but with these tires, I'm not too sure. I can't put down any power if my steering wheel is even slightly turned. I'll have a new set for the next race.
Old May 22, 2022, 03:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
ORLy? AMS dynoed a new Z vs a 2020 supra (the lower power year) and the Supra made more power and torque (more than 50 more!) to 5500 rpm, and then it was the same. 2021+ supra makes more power than the Z and weighs less. Even the 2020 supra will be faster because of lighter weight and more power under the curve.

Of course, this is one VS's dyno. Should be interesting to see more come out.

Luckily the VR30 is just as easily cranked up as the B58. ~500whp on ethanol.
Old May 22, 2022, 04:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Went back to Palmer this weekend. Clockwise on Saturday (first time for me) and counter-clockwise on Sunday. Now it's all green and beautiful with amazing views. None of which I noticed while driving, lol

Best my previous time by five seconds, still more in the car. I'm finally getting comfortable with RWD, steering with the throttle and what not. I think I am over these Conti Force tires. They just sucked in the heat. 80-90* out this weekend. Got super greasy. Fastest lap was in session number two and the got slower as the day went on. I would go back to NT01's but I need a tire I can drive to/from the track and not worry if it rains as the East Coast tends to get abrupt thunder storms in the summer all the time. Thinking RT660 as I saw a bunch of guys with them today.

Counter-clockwise (best my previous time by five seconds)

Clockwise (I think I like this config better, felt like it flowed better with the supra.
Old May 22, 2022, 05:17 PM
kaj

I would go back to NT01's but I need a tire I can drive to/from the track and not worry if it rains as the East Coast tends to get abrupt thunder storms in the summer all the time. Thinking RT660 as I saw a bunch of guys with them today.
What do you think about the tire discussion thread in regards to the 660 being faster than NT01? Would make a no-brainer, yes?
Old May 22, 2022, 05:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
What do you think about the tire discussion thread in regards to the 660 being faster than NT01? Would make a no-brainer, yes?
I haven't paid attention to that thread. Can they be beat on like NT01 as well?
Old May 22, 2022, 06:05 PM
kaj

I haven't paid attention to that thread. Can they be beat on like NT01 as well?
I'm going to look into it. I'm being told they are faster than an NT-01, though Falken is an Extreme Summer tire vs the Competition tire Nitto. In my size they are $30 cheaper ea, so that would be nice. I haven't run into anyone that prefers the Falken over other tires, but I'm willing to look, just in case.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...options-3.html
Old May 22, 2022, 06:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Went back to Palmer this weekend. Clockwise on Saturday (first time for me) and counter-clockwise on Sunday. Now it's all green and beautiful with amazing views. None of which I noticed while driving, lol

Best my previous time by five seconds, still more in the car. I'm finally getting comfortable with RWD, steering with the throttle and what not. I think I am over these Conti Force tires. They just sucked in the heat. 80-90* out this weekend. Got super greasy. Fastest lap was in session number two and the got slower as the day went on. I would go back to NT01's but I need a tire I can drive to/from the track and not worry if it rains as the East Coast tends to get abrupt thunder storms in the summer all the time. Thinking RT660 as I saw a bunch of guys with them today.
Looks good, but having walls so close must be an adjustment compared to most of the tracks in California! Not much run off for any mistakes!
Old May 22, 2022, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Showed them corvettes what's up today, especially the 2016 z06 that took 2nd.

The following 5 users liked this post by Lumpy Sticks:
Construct (May 23, 2022), Crzykdd (May 25, 2022), kaj (May 22, 2022), mar387 (May 23, 2022), ViciousLSD (May 23, 2022)
Old May 23, 2022, 07:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by l888apex
Looks good, but having walls so close must be an adjustment compared to most of the tracks in California! Not much run off for any mistakes!
Yea, it's def a track you need to respect, that said, the tire walls seem to work really well. I've seen a couple cars go off my two times to the track and they haven't gone through the tires to the actual cement walls. Obviously the tires will do damage, but nothing like the big block of cement behind them would do.
Old May 23, 2022, 08:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I'm going to look into it. I'm being told they are faster than an NT-01, though Falken is an Extreme Summer tire vs the Competition tire Nitto. In my size they are $30 cheaper ea, so that would be nice. I haven't run into anyone that prefers the Falken over other tires, but I'm willing to look, just in case.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...options-3.html
Just making sure, I'm not saying theyre faster than Nittos. It's just we dont see anyone run them, even in our big events. I think it comes down to whats-available and in what sizes. We can't get A052/RE71R, so RT660 it is.
Unless you just like going around the track, I only take the 200tw tires for about 4-5 laps (7-9 mins)
Old May 23, 2022, 10:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Nice finish, @Lumpy Sticks . That has to feel good.

Yea, it's def a track you need to respect, that said, the tire walls seem to work really well. I've seen a couple cars go off my two times to the track and they haven't gone through the tires to the actual cement walls. Obviously the tires will do damage, but nothing like the big block of cement behind them would do.
I've been beyond spoiled by the huge amounts of runoff at my local track (Utah Motorsports Campus). I haven't actually had to use it, but it's so much easier to go fast when you know you've got plenty of margin before the tire wall.
Old May 23, 2022, 12:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Construct
I've been beyond spoiled by the huge amounts of runoff at my local track (Utah Motorsports Campus). I haven't actually had to use it, but it's so much easier to go fast when you know you've got plenty of margin before the tire wall.
Yup that was what I was used to as well. Now imagine all the tracks with way less run off room, lots of walls, a totally new car platform, AWD to RWD and not knowing any of the tracks well. That is me right now so I'm trying to be a little less critical of myself as I basically re-learn everything.
Old May 23, 2022, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Construct
Nice finish, @Lumpy Sticks . That has to feel good.
Thanks it does. Finally getting used to the car and getting it to where I want it. Things might change big time real quick. We will see.

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?