Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

A question about AWD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2002, 09:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
A question about AWD

Well, I'm home for vacation and drove my parents WRX just to see how it drove. Steering is decently tight, understeers a little, tires are crap. Anyway...

I gunned it from stoplights a couple of times> There was a noticeable "clunk" when I switched from 1st to second. Sam with 2nd to third, although less so. My foot was not on the accelerator between shifts. My question is this--- Is this clunking a symptom of ALL awd cars, or is it just something with the WRX's transmission? I mean, if the Evo felt like this I wouldn't feel like driving it too hard because it didn't feel like this could be good for the car over the long term.

Any other WRX driviers experience what I'm talking about?

e in la
Old Sep 14, 2002, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A buddy of mine has a WRX. Yes, you will notice a clunk when shifting. This is partially the transmission syncing up, but don't forget the center differential.

The WRX is quite a tempremental beast. I personally don't care for the ride, and I wouldn't drop up to 28,000 for the performance it does have. The Subaru flat-4 the car uses can very easily benefit from basic mods, but the transmission isn't rated for much more than it puts out stock. If you planned on adding more than another 20 horse, you would need to build the tranmission to cope, else you'll start breaking it. Trust me, there are like 15 WRX drivers in my office alone.

Sorry for those of you that like the car, I just can't respect it. Like a mustang or camaro, I can't drive for more than five minutes without seeing one.

Oh well, WRX is Evo food anyway.

-Goon-Kun
Old Sep 14, 2002, 11:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I figured it was something with the differentials. Now, is this something endemic in all AWD cars, or just the WRX. Does the EVO have this characteristic, or not? Just wondering.