Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

1993 Eagle Talon?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2004, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 Eagle Talon?

Anyone here very familiar with a 1993 Eagle Talon? I wanted to know trim levels.. especially turbo.. and the engines in them... is it correct 4g63 is in them?
Old May 26, 2004, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

the talon was just another name for the eclipse, it is slightly badged different but i think it was the GSX (AWD 4g63T).
Old May 26, 2004, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

oh yeah the TSI is the same as the gsx, forgot to put that.
Old May 26, 2004, 03:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TSI= 4G63 turbo FWD.
TSI= 4G63 turbo AWD

1st generation.I think the motors were rated at 195hp for that year. The early 93's had a 6 bolt flywheel while the later models had the 7 bolt like the 2nd generation cars. These cars do have a problem with crank walk when you stark getting into higher HP #'s. You can tell by the stamping on the oil pan. On the Talons both FWD and AWD turbo cars were labled as the TSI so if you buy one make sure you check and see what it is.
Old May 26, 2004, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

how about 1st gen and 2nd gen.. which seems to be better? I've been looking at a couple 1st gen FWD TSIs
Old May 26, 2004, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

I wanted to maybe turn my lancer into a show car... looking for more performance in an old car
Old May 26, 2004, 04:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The early 1G's 90,91,92 were less likley to have any kind of crank walk issues, but at this point to find one thats not been beat to death is nearly impossible. Whatever you can find with the lowest miles is gonna be your best bet in most cases.
Old May 28, 2004, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

I've owned 3, so I can help with this. If you want a nice fast car, thats a decent looking car inside and out, go for a 2G 95-98 car. But, if you just want a cheaper, not as nice looking, but just as fast car, go for the 1G 90-94 car. I've owned a 91 FWD, a 94 AWD, and my current 97 AWD. Like someone said, the AWD car is just called a TSi just like the FWD, nothing special like a GSX. But, if you look on the side of the car right behind the door, either on the b-pillar or down by the rocker panel, there will be a sticker that says "AWD" to tell you. On the 2G cars, it will have "TSi AWD" on the rear bumper. Or, if you want to be certain, just look under the rear bumper, and if you see a rear dif, you'll know for sure

Both cars are basically the same speed stock. The 1G cars don't have as much power (195 for 1G - 210 for 2G), but they weigh less, so it evens out. Same 4G63 engine in both the 1G and 2G, but with little differences between them, like intake manifold, turbo, BOV, head...... To many to list, but generally, the early 1G engines are a bit better with mileage than a high mileage 2G. The crankwalk issue is a biatch, I know 1st hand. But, I've since '6-bolted' my car, and its run like a champ ever since (11.34@128 ). Either way, really, you cant go wrong. I won't lie to you, DSM's like to break things if you want to go fast. But, if you keep it fairly stock, it should be fine. Nice thing is they've been around for a while now, and just about every problem has been covered before, and is easily diagnosed. I love to hate my car. Its real fast, but when it breaks something, I hate it more than anything. But, then once its fixed, I love it and forgive all its put me through Oh well. Just do your homework, and you'll be fine.

Hilg
Old May 28, 2004, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

Hilg I think you've summed it all up for me... and maybe my new best friend if I get one! best advice yet. Thanx
Old May 28, 2004, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DSM's are the best. the 1g's are definately the way to go, I've owned over a half dozen and they're the best. The reason I prefer DSM's over any other car for serious performance is because of the internet community they provide (www.vfaq.com, dsmtalk.com, dsmtuners.com, dsmtrader.com, dsm.org, etc...) and the cheapness/availability of parts.

My 92 gsx is simply amazing, and despite what most others have found to be the case, the maintenance (i.e. broken parts) has been very minimal and mine is far from stock. I'm taking it to the track this sunday and expect solid 11's out of it. This is a daily driven car too.

Hilg has made an excellent point, on the weight differences between the two generations. Here's another breakdown from my point of view.

1g strengths
lighter, sleepers, cheaper initial investment, better blocks/ drivetrains (4 bolt rear end)

2g strengths
better handling, better exterior and interior

of course modified 2gs can eliminate most of the 1g strengths but 1g's will always be ugly
Old May 28, 2004, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

and dont forget the best of em all www.dsmhorsepower.com
Old May 28, 2004, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

Yea, I guess I shouldn't scare you like that. My 2G (AKA - Nightmare ) is the only one that I've had big problems with. And, most of them were just by-products of lots of power making things break. That being the crankwalk and a TC consuming itself But, my other 2 before it just had the usual mileage related issues. The normal clutch, alternator, starter, blah blah. Granted, my other 2 were no where near as modified as my 2G, but oh well. That comes with the territory. These cars are real fun.

I guess you could call my car a sleeper, in a way. Its just a bone stock looking 97 AWD Talon on the outside. I have an Apexi GT exhaust and its lowered with H&Rs, but those 2 things are all you see on the outside. You'd never know its close to a 10-sec car, daily driver The other nice benefit, at least for me, is that the AWD just comes up aces in the winter. I have a couple friends with a real fast '00 SS Camaro, a 93 R1 RX7, and a decently fast 93 TT 300Z. They are all real fast, but once the weather gets all doom and gloom, they put them up for the season. Not the Talon. She's a tank. I have a set of 98 GSX wheels with Blizzaks for the winter, and it gets around just as good as my womans Denali does. Thats just another benefit that these cars have.

Like I said before, just do your homework, and make sure to give the car a real good looking at before you get one. Most of the major probs will be noticeable with a test drive, or a decent visual inspection. Have fun, and don't hesitate to ask questions. Thats one thing you'll come to realize. The DSM community is very open, and always looking to help another owner.

Hilg
Old May 28, 2004, 11:02 PM

a quick correction from info from above, the early 92's has the 6 bolt motors. form late 92 on the 7 bolt replaced the 6.

i love DSM's i currently have 15X,XXX miles on my 93 (edit: stock block/head/tranny)and still running STRONG and it is not stock. just make sure your on time with oil changes and maintence and everything should be fine!
Old May 29, 2004, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

7-bolt =

6-bolt =

To tell you the truth, nothing made me more happy than when my car finally caught the 'Walk'. I'd rather know its bad and fix it, than drive around wondering if/when its going to ruin my day. Ever since then, the new 6-er has been nothing but a champ. Gotta love it.

Hilg
Old May 29, 2004, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Hey don't foget GVR4's. You get four doors and its the sleeper from hell.