Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

lotus elise

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2004, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take a look at this link.

http://www.w2knews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=040607FA-Lotus
Old Jun 7, 2004, 01:29 PM
Account Disabled

Hmmm....sounds like an interesting idea for a project car.....expensive one at that.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eldanoloco
Powered by toyota.
The previous Elise wasn't powered by Lotus either. The engine was made by Rover (k-series) and was a real pile. The Toyota powerplant is a much more stout unit.

I saw an Elise in San Fran yesterday and one in Newport Beach (Crystal Cove) last saturday morning. The car is soo sweet.

SC~
Old Jun 7, 2004, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HoLeeRay
from what i hear, the celica gt-s engine is pretty moddable. It would be pretty scary to see the ability of a modded elise. Or imagine the elise with a s2k engine.. puahah
Apparently the TRD supercharger kit has been modified already for use in the Elise....How does a 250hp Elise sound?

SC~
Old Jun 7, 2004, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jrhecker
i would prefer a 4G63 in it. the 2ZZ is a decent engine, but not enough torque, and if it is the same engine as the matrix xrs from toyota, then i have my complaints. waiting for the lift on that engine seems like eternity, once you hit it there is power, but you'll be playing catch up all the time. i read an article where xs engineering put a turbo on the engine that spooled up real quick and backed off at lift, it seems like this type of setup would be best on this car as well..
Lotus wrote it's own engine management software for the 2ZZ used in the Elise. Amongst other things, the high lift cams come on about 500rpms earlier on the engine in the Elise.

The torqueless feeling of the GTS won't be present in the Elise. The Elise is a little more than 1/2 the weight of the Celica.

SC~
Old Jun 7, 2004, 06:49 PM
Account Disabled

I would do that car. need more pics!
Old Jun 7, 2004, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Secret Chimp
Lotus wrote it's own engine management software for the 2ZZ used in the Elise. Amongst other things, the high lift cams come on about 500rpms earlier on the engine in the Elise.

The torqueless feeling of the GTS won't be present in the Elise. The Elise is a little more than 1/2 the weight of the Celica.

SC~
Lotus did write its own engine management software for the Elise, but the initial cam-changeover point remains the same (6000rpm). What they did change, however, was the point where the engine switches back to the small cam. Rather than switching from the big profile to the smaller profile at 6000rpm, the 2ZZ in the Elise switches back a few hundred rpms lower. While this may not seem like a big change, this allows drivers to remain in "lift", as it is called for the 2ZZ, during all upshifts, greatly improving the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

Also, the US Elise weighs ~1900lbs and the Celica GT-S weighs ~2500lbs. The difference is substantial, but is not as much as you claim it to be.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 12:02 PM

great comments guys, i feel better informed already!!!! that last post makes sense, because it is so hard to stay in lift with the matrix, when you shift at redline, it dips down for a second then hits lift again. staying in lift would put the elise slow off the line initially then have it stay hot all the way to the top speed, similar to a turbo car lagging on the start (if you suck at launching), then staying in the spooling range for the rest of the quarter mile. i can see how this would make the car faster! the torque i will have to feel for myself to be convinced. i have been spoiled buy the torrent of torque the evo produces at mid rpms. anyway, a supercharged elise would be insane, i definetly think this car has the making of a fun project car, and they are pretty rare, unless you live in a wealthy area. Mid western auto group has had a couple elises, in Dublin, OH.