Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Cobra = ridiculous beast

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2004, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobra = ridiculous beast

I'm super serious about buying this car, it's quite literally the fastest thing I've ever driven (test drove one today). Anyone know if there' s a big message board like this one for the cobras? I've searched google and can only find a bunch of red neck clubs that say nothing about incentives or good prices/lease deals, nothing anywhere near as helpful as this site has been for my research on the lancer evolution. Any help on this would rock. And LanEvo guys, the evo is fast but seriously nothing close to how quick this beast picks up, evo is for different things like handling and modifying, cobra is just sheer brute power.
Old May 31, 2004, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

You saying Cobra's arnt for modifing? Oooookaaay...

Anywho, I test drove one a while back. Yes, it is amazingly quick, but it feels like the big bloated car it is. The chassis is more than a decade old, and it feels it. Throwing one of those around on a road course would be an eye opening experience for all the wrong reasons.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

WWW.MUSTANGWORLD.COM
Old Jun 1, 2004, 04:51 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
www.modularfords.com has a decent forum.

If drag racing is your thing, the Cobra is an awesome car. Swap out the Eaton POS for a Kenne Bell S/C, a smaller pulley, and you can be putting down 450+ hp with ease. The motor is very tuner friendly.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

My brother has 2 cobras and is on some boards I'll post you some links this afternoon. PS with simple bolt on's the 03 cobra can hit 500hp easily.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Score
You saying Cobra's arnt for modifing? Oooookaaay...

Anywho, I test drove one a while back. Yes, it is amazingly quick, but it feels like the big bloated car it is. The chassis is more than a decade old, and it feels it. Throwing one of those around on a road course would be an eye opening experience for all the wrong reasons.

a decade old??? The Mustang chassis began life in 1979 as the underpinnings for the Ford Fairmont..........25 years
Old Jun 1, 2004, 09:45 AM

www.stangnet.com

Those Cobras are sweet cars. They also handle pretty good too. We see then show up at the Local Autocross and in the hands of a good driver they will throw down some impressive times. They are no Z-06 as far as handling but for what they are they hold their own.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 09:54 AM

cobras are nice cars but according to motor trend they are the same as the evo in the 1/4 mile but they definately got top end power but test drive the evo and tell me you dont like the feeling of an AWD pull
Old Jun 1, 2004, 09:59 AM

www.svtperformance.com

that is where all my friends post at all they drives is cobras

good luck
Old Jun 1, 2004, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

the 03 cobra with IRS is no slouch in handling. It's not an EVO, but then again in the handling dept few cars are. Comparing these two cars is not even feesable. Apples and Oranges.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
enjoy driving this car in winter, i had 96 cobra before and i was up for buyin 03 but i figure it out, that i need 1 car and winter fun........later.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 10:41 PM

Awesome info, thanks for the links guys exactly what I was looking for!
Old Jun 4, 2004, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

The SVT Cobra is a very interesting beast. I almost chose an '01 over my Eclipse GT, though I realized it was too much car for me at the time and I simply wasn't ready for it.

I've driven a friend's '03 since, including at Watkins Glen. Brutal power delivery, though you definitely can't lapse your attention at all if you intend on pushing it around a road course. I was pushing the car pretty hard when around turn 9 that I realized the beast was going to bite HARD in response to any mistakes. Ending up backing off a bit for the remainder of my laps.

Great drag car with incredible potential. However, I know there are some fairly extensive rear suspension modifications you can do so you don't even have to think about keeping the rear in check.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 06:39 PM

yes so they are no match for an evo huh, well I guess thats why I got one on video in my rear view mirror after he told me my 4cyl POS was no match for his muscle car..hehe!! They are quick I will admit, but for supercharged I am not impressed with the 390hp considering a Vette has 405 on a N/A motor, but hell I guess I am a little biased since Mustangs are my worst hated car. Anyways, good luck if that is what you decide on, but there is no way that thing is as fun as an Evo to drive...PERIOD!!
Old Jun 4, 2004, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

www.corral.net