Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Tell me what you guys think

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2004, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell me what you guys think

well to make a long story short, i had my evo for about almost a year i brought it in for an oil change and now all of a sudden i need a new short block and their not goign to replace the whole motor, therefore im selling my evo because the odds are theres long term effects, anyway

i looked at a few dealers yesterday my choices vary for my next car

04 evo
05 sti
04 350z
04 s2k
04 rx8

now basically i came to the conclusion of either the 04 evo or the 04 s2k but this is my issue

the 04 evo has the crap leather interior which i hate plus i had the original 03.. an 04 just wont be the same... i konw the evo out performs the s2k in almost every way but, the s2k is a nice 2 seater convertable... and i love the red interior that you get with it... and rwd is fun to play around with ... anyway i test drove an s2k yesterday and it was very fun i have to say... i liked the feel of it

what do u guys think of the s2k, what kind of reviews have you all read about it? input please guys because ive been very confused the last few days on my decisions
Old Jun 26, 2004, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

none of the above. Go for the 05evo mr
Old Jun 26, 2004, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

05 STi
Old Jun 26, 2004, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

S2k- My opinion.
I drove it for 3 days and almost ended up with one. I think it's a very fun car to drive around. I dunno about going to the track with it, but I just love the extremely refine shifter and the super high rev engine. As for hp wise, it's nothing comparing to the EVO. But who cares? You dont need to go fast when you're in an s2k. Especially an s2k with body kits and rims. With that convertable down and in a cool night, nothing can beat that extreme feeling of freedom and joy from drivng that small convertable. You can look all around and nothing is in your way. The night, cool air brushing against your face is just magical. The steering is almost as quick and responsive as the EVO. The 6th speed gearbox can be operated with ease and perfection. The power might be a little lacking, but at cruising speed and joy ride, I think it's plentiful. Cosmetic wise, I think the s2k is just pleasing to look at. The only bad thing that i heard about the S2k is that it's really expenisve to mod (power mod). It's also quite unstable at highway speed. It also tend to fish tale alot. Beside those negatives, I dont know of any major problem.

You must ask youself exactly what you want out of a car. I didnt when I was in the market for one. I really had no idea what I really want, and didnt really test drive the cars that I thought would make me happy. As for me, I have mix feelings for the EVO. hahaha...It's kinda weird. But to each his own, some are die hard fan of performance, and some would refere looks and class over street monster. I would love to have both. Something like a supra or a skyline R34 would make me a very happy camper. I'm kinda happy with the EVO.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

are you a car salesman or a extremist?
Old Jun 26, 2004, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

The S2000 is my fallback in case my 2005 MR falls through.

I compared the regular Evo and the S2000 in this thread. You can read it here.

Folks have tracked the S2000 with pretty good success, so long as you replace the stock brakes. Some folks are even getting 15,000+ track miles between rebuilds, which is nothing short of amazing. The car is dead reliable, but it should be noted that when something does fail (notably on the track), it seems to fail in the most spectacular way possible. I have a video of a wheel hub completely failing. I have photos that show the hole in the block in which a con rod shot through.

I like the S, I just like the Evo more. To me, I'm expecting the maintenance I need on a 911 Carrera with the engine tune package -- isn't ever going to be cheap.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

ok fella, your on a ******* EVO FORUM, mose people are going to say evo.ok dude, go get yourself an evo.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

whens the 05mr come out to the states?
Old Jun 26, 2004, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

rumors of the 3rd week of september 2004
Old Jun 26, 2004, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

STi
Old Jun 26, 2004, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Coming from an Evo, you will dissapointed with the RX8. It's slow as shat unless you rev it to 10K, also the same with the S2K. No torque. If you never had an Evo, they may be fine, but I upgrade, not downgrade when I buy a new car, especially HP.

The Z is okay, but it doesn't do any one thing well. It runs 14s, handles okay, brakes okay, looks okay. And Nissan service is just as bad as Mitsu. I have plenty experience.

If you have bad feelings about Mitsu and I would if I were you after your story, I would not consider an Evo again. The only thing power wise and feeling will be the 05 STI.

But the best option would be to not lose your *** on a trade or sale of a 1 year old Evo. I would see what repairs are needed to make the car 100% again and make sure it's done correctly under warantee, keep it for a couple, few years and then look for your next car. By then you will not lose your shirt on a trade, and there will be more cars on the market.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

I think you should go for a WRX, or an STI. I haven't heard about all the problems that I've heard and seen on this forum. I love the EVO but look at you, you need a new block! you've had the car for a year. That's flipping rediculous. I'll never buy another mitsu again. oh and with the S2K you have honda's reliability. I've seen some really nice ones.
Old Jun 27, 2004, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

im almost 100% sure im going s2k, thanks for the input guys
Old Jun 27, 2004, 05:34 PM
Account Disabled

If your going for the S2K be aware of the red leather interior. Honda just painted the black leather red, so down the road it will just peel off. Very nasty.
Old Jun 27, 2004, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
O4 Evo