Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

'03 Cobra vs. '03 Evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2004, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Um.... why would you wanna add a 3K KB Supercharger to the cobra? It's supercharged already. STOCK for STOCK there is NO denying the cobra trounes the EVO. Live with it. In the cornering and handling and braking depts the EVO eats the CObras Lunch and comes back for dinner!

An 03 cobra with an x pipe, magna flows, intake and an upgraded pulley can put down damn near 500 HP seen it done with my own eyes. Please show me 1 EVO that is hitting 500 HP with 4 bolt on's that are under 1200 bucks...

Guys I love my EVO but damn lets keep it real. Oh and if your paying $35K for an 03 Cobra YOUR NUTS. They are selling for $30,999 all over the Charleston area.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 04:04 PM

yea my friend keeps saying to get the cobra because its better, but i'm beginning to think that i should definitely get the evo because i need a better all around car, not just straightline. what u guys think?
Old Jul 28, 2004, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turboDan
03 cobra=35K + kenny bell super charger add 3k more,intake and exhaust another 1k not to mention all the stuff done to engine that the owner neglected to tell you about.I have been drag racing for over 15 years and 1 thing for sure is that everyone at the dragstrip has a "Stock" car,just ask them

the cobra was for the SVT Team, not T Ted with 13 beers in his stomach.. we're talking about 03 cobras, not 04.. 27k is the cost my friend bought his for at the end of last year... 04s are higher, but i can assure you that the price is competitve for the evo/sti
Old Jul 28, 2004, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
Um.... why would you wanna add a 3K KB Supercharger to the cobra? It's supercharged already. STOCK for STOCK there is NO denying the cobra trounes the EVO. Live with it. In the cornering and handling and braking depts the EVO eats the CObras Lunch and comes back for dinner!
yea it is, but it was a prototype from Kenny Bell and you'd be amazed at the improvements over stock... it's like turbos for our cars... i've even seen vortechs and turbo 03+ cobras
Old Jul 28, 2004, 04:10 PM

All you cobra lovers just admit it. Say it with me..."Cobras will get smoked in everything besides the straightline!"
Old Jul 28, 2004, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Jadiem - I realize it's an upgrade , as in an AMS or Buschur set up for our cars. What I'm getting across is that you dont need a KB to make the 03 CObra fast. It's SICK fast as it is. Dont belive me drive one.

My 4 choices when I bought my EVO were a Cobra (03) , an STI, an EVO, and a G35. I drove them ALL before I bought them. They all had pro's and cons, but the EVO suited my needs the best.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UndergroundEvo
All you cobra lovers just admit it. Say it with me..."Cobras will get smoked in everything besides the straightline!"
umm... either you missed it or you just plain cant read....

STOCK for STOCK there is NO denying the cobra trounes the EVO. Live with it. In the cornering and handling and braking depts the EVO eats the CObras Lunch and comes back for dinner!
Old Jul 28, 2004, 04:12 PM

The POS Eaton supercharges on the Cobra's suck. All they do is create too much heat once your boosting 15lbs and up. KB and Whipple is the way to go. For about $3600 for a new supercharger and push well over 600 rwhp, you can't beat that. With a nice dyno tune you'll have a nice 10 sec daily driver. With my mods I'm pushing 472 rwhp and 482 lbs of trq. Talk about bang for the buck. I can't wait for my friend to install his Greddy turbo upgrade. He's hoping all I'll be seeing is his taillights.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 04:14 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by BADEVO

An 03 cobra with an x pipe, magna flows, intake and an upgraded pulley can put down damn near 500 HP seen it done with my own eyes. Please show me 1 EVO that is hitting 500 HP with 4 bolt on's that are under 1200 bucks...

Guys I love my EVO but damn lets keep it real. Oh and if your paying $35K for an 03 Cobra YOUR NUTS. They are selling for $30,999 all over the Charleston area.
500hp=tire smoking machine,and still made by ford.Show me a cobra w/out slicks
or ton's of suspension mods that 60' 1.65,I didn't think so.Cobra's need all that HP in an attempt to run a little 4banga down,thats sad.I know living in S.C. not too much snow,but up here in N.E. we get lots of snow and the only place I see cobras then is either in their garage or in a snow bank .What is the sense of getting a car you can only drive 8 months out of the year.If thats the case and you want to go fast than just buy a Hayabusa for 10k and have enough left over to buy a used Evo for the price of a Ford.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

that was well put. I ran a 12.7 @107 on stock exhaust. Now i a have tubular o2 housing 3"dp and cat back and pulled hard on 2 different cobra's from a dead stop and hit around 120mph and still like 3 cars up. no way cobra's are better.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly, if I had the money to buy either car, I would choose the Cobra.... Could it be because my first car/love was a mustang??? I don't know. There is something about the car, that to me, the Evo doesn't have.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Some of you guys better lay off the crack pipe.
My friend with a chip and a pulley absolutely DESTROYES my evo with Buschur 3 inch turboback and boost controller. From a roll it ain't pretty, From a dig I can get him until about 60-70 mph then all hell breaks loose and he runs me down. 03 cobra's are incredible strait line speed demons. But I still prefer the styling, handling, and breaking of my evo.

Bobby
Old Jul 28, 2004, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

another thing to consider is the driver....

IMO its still hard to compare a v8 to a 4 banger... and 2 cars with completely different backgrounds... my neighbors are all muscle car fans... my grand father used to own an evo 3... if i could have it, id choose evo over a stang anyday.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 04:33 PM

Show me a Viper or Z06 with stock tires hit 1.6 60 foots?? Common man use some common sense. And you've raced 2 different cobra's up till 120 and you had a 3 car lead on them?? Obviously the cobra owners didn't know how to drive or they weren't 03-04 cobra's. But hey anything can happen in a street race. When most people see Cobra's they think it's just a regular mustang. Can you even tell the difference in a 01 cobra and a 03??
Old Jul 28, 2004, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turboDan
500hp=tire smoking machine,and still made by ford.Show me a cobra w/out slicks
or ton's of suspension mods that 60' 1.65,I didn't think so.Cobra's need all that HP in an attempt to run a little 4banga down,thats sad.I know living in S.C. not too much snow,but up here in N.E. we get lots of snow and the only place I see cobras then is either in their garage or in a snow bank .What is the sense of getting a car you can only drive 8 months out of the year.If thats the case and you want to go fast than just buy a Hayabusa for 10k and have enough left over to buy a used Evo for the price of a Ford.

Bro your preaching to the choir I'm from Worcester Mass.

Quick Reply: '03 Cobra vs. '03 Evo 8