Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

'03 Cobra vs. '03 Evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2004, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same reason why you'd compare one car to another. If it seems pointless to you then you're feeling the same way I do.

Most comparisons come down to numbers. What numbers are important to you is what keeps all of these threads going.

And if you think the car industry has the worst ways of comparing stats... Try watching some good 'ole American Baseball...

In the end it's all about entertainment and what makes you happy. If a dime-a-dozen Cobra makes you more happy than an Evolution VIII, power to you! Believe me there are hardly people here that wished they bought a Cobra and I'm sure there are very few Cobra owners that wished they bought an Evo.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 01:47 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by netmand
Same reason why you'd compare one car to another. If it seems pointless to you then you're feeling the same way I do.

Most comparisons come down to numbers. What numbers are important to you is what keeps all of these threads going.

And if you think the car industry has the worst ways of comparing stats... Try watching some good 'ole American Baseball...

In the end it's all about entertainment and what makes you happy. If a dime-a-dozen Cobra makes you more happy than an Evolution VIII, power to you! Believe me there are hardly people here that wished they bought a Cobra and I'm sure there are very few Cobra owners that wished they bought an Evo.
What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And living in New England like we do(myself and netmand),it is pointless to own a
rear wheel drive high powered Mustang when the snow starts to fly.Few things more fun than putting on 4 snow tires and driving down the highway doing 65mph with 6" of snow and using the rest of the vehicles on the highway as pylons of a slalom courseThere are 2 places you will see mustangs when the snow starts to fly,a) in their garage,or b)off the road in a snow bank

Last edited by turboDan; Nov 30, 2004 at 01:51 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by astrocreep96
Its very good, no doubt, but any other car making similar hp numbers will smoke it. Case in point: the evo. Not to mention the z06 corvette (less hp but less weight).
Obviously. By the way the Z06 has 405hp and the Cobra has 390hp. It has more hp. You said less.

Even Mach 1's are similar in the quarter mile time, and they have much less hp and torque.
I have yet to see similar 1/4 times at the track anyways. A half second difference isn't similar.

And yes, the evo does outperform the cobra liter per liter. The evo already puts out over 100 hp per liter at the wheels, the cobra can't do that at the crank (this argument seems pointless, though, because hp/liter doesn't make a car fast).
So why was this even brought up. HP/Liter is an interweb ricetastic argument.

And finally, I agree with you on the dispalcement issue

Old Nov 30, 2004, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Well Gonzo, the word on svtperformance is that ford intentionally downplayed the amount hp in the cobra for insurance issues. Even if its not for insurance issues (maybe they just wanted to be safe and not have a hyundai incident), it is no secret that many cobra owners dyno 390 hp or more at the wheels, and to me at least that means they're making more than 390 at the crank. Also, consider that Mr. Panoz (the guy who started the car company Panoz, I don't know his first name) uses the blown 4.6 liter cobra motor in his Esperante GTR or whatever its called. He also claims that the power output is more like 420hp, and agrees that ford intentionally downplays the amount they have. I would be willing to trust his opinion since, as a car maker with a bit of cash, he has access to an engine dyno.

In short, the Cobra has more hp than the Z06.

As for quarter mile times, a half second may not be the same, but it is similar. Also, the cobra runs anywhere from mid-13's down to mid-12's. The evo's time varies as well, but they don't get down into the 12's. The mach's, with 85 or so less hp, will not only be slightly slower than the cobra, but have a significantly lower trap speed ( I think it is in the ballpark of the evo). At any rate, be it between the evo, cobra, or mach, it seems to really come down to the driver at the track.

Finally, I don't know why the HP/liter issue was brought up, but it was, and I answered it.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

it is no secret that many cobra owners dyno 390 hp or more at the wheels, and to me at least that means they're making more than 390 at the crank.
Dude it not just you...

Also, consider that Mr. Panoz (the guy who started the car company Panoz, I don't know his first name) uses the blown 4.6 liter cobra motor in his Esperante GTR or whatever its called. He also claims that the power output is more like 420hp, and agrees that ford intentionally downplays the amount they have. I would be willing to trust his opinion since, as a car maker with a bit of cash, he has access to an engine dyno.
You do realize, measuring HP using an engine dyno, will give you a totally different reading than a chassis dyno right genius. Ever heard of drivetrain losses. But I guess since you have a hard on for guys with money and access to engine dyno's you'll take their word for it. Even though your comparing two totally different types of dyno testing equipment.

In short, don't try to be a smartass.

As for quarter mile times, a half second may not be the same, but it is similar.
Those times are not similar.

Finally, I don't know why the HP/liter issue was brought up, but it was, and I answered it.

HP/Liter is a joke of a discussion. End of story.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

So Gonzo, whats your point on the hp issue. GM claims 405 hp at the crank of the Z06 corvette. Ford claims 390 hp at the crank of the cobra. I claim that the cobra actually makes more at the crank than the Z06 based on a.) 390 hp on the wheels on many cobras, which is after taking into account drivetrain loss, and b.) Panoz himself has actually done engine dyno testing and found that the blown 4.6 puts out approximately 420 hp. And in danger of being a smartass again, it seems that the cobra's 420 hp is more than the Z06's 405 hp.

And what hard on for Panoz's money, I'm am using his words because I respect his opinion, I don't really care how much money he makes because it has no relevance in this discussion.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 01:53 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by UndergroundEvo
I have a homie that has a '03 Cobra and keeps saying that it is better than the Evo 8 in every way. So I was just wondering what everyone's opinions are on that. What makes the Cobra the overall better car or what makes the evo 8 a better car in your opinion?
What happened to this thread,this is what the original question was.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Threadjacked evom style.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 07:19 PM
Account Disabled

if you just want pure straight line acceleration, go with the 03 cobra

if you want an all around handling/straight line

go with evo

03 cobra will get you into the 11s much easier than the evo, but thats all it will do
Old Dec 1, 2004, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Threads get hijacked, learn to love it.

One more thing on the cobra: its a pretty bad *** cruising car. I take advantage of my handling a good number of times when I drive it, but sometimes I would like to have something just for running through the street on. Plus, with some long tube headers, no cats, and an SLP exhaust, you can't beat the sound of the cobra. The evos great for prowling the streets too, but sometimes its easier to show off the acceleration than the handling, and very few people appreciate the level of handling the evo has.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

I think the SVT badge is really shiny...but the Evolution badge is sexier in a sort of Asian geisha princess kind of way. Debadged it's a totall toss up though. Hondas are reliable cars too.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

Hahaha WTF am I reading here??? 2 many children own Evos.. WHY? bc they are less of a car and thats coming from a guy who loves both cars... but people grow up I guess... 03/04 Cobra vs Evo 8.... come on.....two totally diffrent cars all around... what are we talking about here.... most of you dont know how to drive and only "street race" in a single line... so going off on that in the 1/4 mile the evo will get left in the dust.... I see some people are saying YA WELL PUT 5k into a evo.... ya well put 5K into a 03 Cobra "2.3L whipple" lets say and supproting mods your looking @ 600RWHP and the same amount of TQ and thats being safe...
SO straight line... street racing or 1/4 mile you wont touch the cobra... been dusted by many myself....

As for the real drivers The Evo will KILL the cobra in any corner... NUFF said about that,, the evo cost a lot less in every way... amazing car fun as hell and a Time Attack monster... nice and light!!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

way back when..... how the **** did this become the first link on Google when typing evo vs 03 cobra....

Last edited by GO ON 3; Dec 18, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
lolz... so you revived an 8 year old thread to bench race?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GO ON 3
Hahaha WTF am I reading here??? 2 many children own Evos.. WHY? bc they are less of a car and thats coming from a guy who loves both cars... but people grow up I guess... 03/04 Cobra vs Evo 8.... come on.....two totally diffrent cars all around... what are we talking about here.... most of you dont know how to drive and only "street race" in a single line... so going off on that in the 1/4 mile the evo will get left in the dust.... I see some people are saying YA WELL PUT 5k into a evo.... ya well put 5K into a 03 Cobra "2.3L whipple" lets say and supproting mods your looking @ 600RWHP and the same amount of TQ and thats being safe...
SO straight line... street racing or 1/4 mile you wont touch the cobra... been dusted by many myself....

As for the real drivers The Evo will KILL the cobra in any corner... NUFF said about that,, the evo cost a lot less in every way... amazing car fun as hell and a Time Attack monster... nice and light!!
Yep he did.

As for road racing Mustang v. Evo -- 100% disagree with you. I've raced both and currently race a SN95. Mustangs can handle very well and plant power very well on race tracks. Go look at World Challenge - how many Evos do you see?

Costs? You have to be mad. Evo costs a lot MORE in every way. Try this - go to the parts store and see what parts you can get over the counter. Try getting a half-shaft for the Evo or a hub (typical parts needed from racing...). I can get just about any Mustang part near a track to keep racing.

And weight...my race car is 3150 with driver/gas.

I love when bench racers talk about racing and don't actually race.

Quick Reply: '03 Cobra vs. '03 Evo 8