Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

The new 350 hp GTO or the Mistu Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2004, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redgtosamurai
As for the handling, it's rock solid and responsive. The front and rear stabilizers are mounted directly to the suspension instead of the control arms. I've tacken tight corners at 65 -70 mph with no body roll and the tires never broke traction.

What!!! no body roll while taking tight turns at 65-70 mph for a 3700lbs goat?

Highly unlikely.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

My goat will be fitted for a functional hood with scoops and a low drag body kit. The next options will be the Z06 heads and cam with Procharger super charger to round out the vehicle. I'll be over 500 horses to the rear wheels. I'm in no rush to get it there. It's all good!

Local dragstrip here has a guy with supercharger in his Z06 running D/R.

Best I've seen him run was a 11.8 @ around 120mph.

I thought Z06's run low 12's to begin with?

Good luck getting 500whp to the ground with street tires.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

I have seen an Evo kill a GTO in the 1/8 mile numerous times. I've also seen the same GTO kill the Evo in the 1/4. Both were stock. The Evo also has the problem with the drive system as it's not meant for drag racing. Evo's do better with rolling starts since the drive system is parasitic.
As far as your statment above in bold I think the Evo you saw race did have a drivetrain error and I can name it the DRIVER. I guess you have never seen an AWD Launch that is what makes these cars so quick off the line...1.6 60' on stock tires or lower is the norm. I think you would have to have slicks to do that with any GTO to get close.

Evo's are awesome vehicles in their own right... so is the GTO.
I completly agree with this
Old Aug 10, 2004, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nad1370

Agreed. I'd expect slicks as low as 25psi in the rear, probably 305 - 315mm wide. Maybe slather on some traction compound. I'd expect a blown Z06 with 500WHP to be far quicker -- I've seen stockers (not even a shift-knob change!) run as low as 12.2.

That's the GTO's biggest problem -- 245mm width All-Season tires. That's why the stock 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are a bit on the high side. All-seasons don't belong on there, nevermind something that narrow.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Like some of you have been saying there is an HSV GTS here in Australia that is basically the same car (a little bit heavier) but with a similar (or the same?) 300kW 5.7 to the Corvette's. When the Evolution VI TME came here I bought a few magazine tests that also had the GTS and the TME was always quicker over a 1/4 mile. Also in the Car of Year and Bang for your bucks tests the TME always had a higher speed at the end of the straight, which was a rolling start (from the corner before).

We also have a Monaro (2 door) GTO with 285kW and I have never seen it go under mid 13's in any 1/4 mile test. There is a Monaro GTS with 300kW but I have never read a test on it.

Aston
Old Aug 10, 2004, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nad1370

Won't have street tires when I get it that far.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by MYEVOVIII
As far as your statment above in bold I think the Evo you saw race did have a drivetrain error and I can name it the DRIVER. I guess you have never seen an AWD Launch that is what makes these cars so quick off the line...1.6 60' on stock tires or lower is the norm. I think you would have to have slicks to do that with any GTO to get close.

I completly agree with this
I agree whole-heartedly! I've also seen STi's and Evo's destroy their trannies from a standing start. The drive train wasn't designed for that stress... thus the advantage of a rolling start. GTO drive trains are built with that in mind. At 365ft torque they're designed for the abuse.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't forget that new goat will be heavier and will need the extra hp to turn those bigger rotors. i doubt it will be significantly faster.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MaxR
don't forget that new goat will be heavier and will need the extra hp to turn those bigger rotors. i doubt it will be significantly faster.
From what has been published so far, one can conclude that the LS2 is no heavier than the LS1 it replaces, and may be lighter.

Also, if the rotors grow an inch or so, their mass gain is completely negligable. Doesn't matter if axle weight increases are to be multiplied by 3.5. Even if it adds 6lbs of weight to the axles all around, the increase is negligable.

But add in 50HP and a broader torque curve? You're at least hacking a good 12-14% off the car's P/W ratio. The car's weakest link is still the tires though. Rip off the 245mm width all seasons for 265mm width drag radials up front, and 305mm in the back, take out the spare/jack/tools, and I think barely breaking into the 12s is possible.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Going in a straight line? GTO is great.

Doing any turns? Take the Evo.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

You know what...AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE-0-60 mph in 4.59 Seconds, If an evo can do that...it can hand the 5.3 second GTOs *** at the finish line at a 1/4 mile. I have the article posted up on my wall where the Evo was named Automobile of the year. Its true that the GTO has a good 80hp more, but putting that down to a Rear Wheel drive car, ALL SEASON TIRES, and with 3700lbs of weight compared to a 3100lb, AWD, sticky tires, and 271 hp, you know your *** is gonna handed to you whether its on a 1/4 strip or Dead mans curve.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That 4.59 second claim on the Evo is rarely quoted because most tests have been more in the 5 second range. And unless you're talking the RS, the Evo is more in line with about 3240 lbs or so.

However, you're dead-on with the rest of the assessment. I'll take AWD, sticky ADVANS, and the rest of the Evo package. The GTO is a nice cruiser, though.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Cruiser for sure if you want a boat with a lil power it would be a good car kinda like driving a caddillac with their northstar V8 its over 300 hp and moves pretty good for a boat (yes the GTO is a little faster) but its not meant for the track its meant for comfortable cruising It would get its *** handed to him (via mail cause the evo wouldn't wait around) every time a GTO tried on a track to keep up with the evo. Evo is faster for 0-60 faster in 1/4 WAY WAY faster in the corners.

Bottom line we are comparing a full size luxury sport sedan with a track ready rally car not too many similarities here....
Old Aug 14, 2004, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sentinal
Bottom line we are comparing a full size luxury sport sedan with a track ready rally car not too many similarities here....
If you consider a GTO a luxury car, you're nuts. By that token, my Eclipse is a luxury car because it has power seats, premium stereo, leather and a moonroof. You can get those same features in a Kia, Daewoo, or Hyundai.

That was a the definition of luxury in say, 1994.

The 3-Series, A4, IS300, ES330, CTS, C-Class, X-Type aren't really considered luxury anymore. They are considered "entry-level luxury", because they are not the whole shebang.

Try the 5-series, A6, GS, STS, E-Class, S-Type and such for the real features. There's a $10,000+ price gap between them and the entry-level cars for a reason -- and that reason isn't 8-10" in length. It's the expensive features that have quickly trickled down from their flagships' parts bins. And the serious bump in materials quality -- the difference between a 3-series and 5-series interiors are stark and dead obvious. Nevermind comparing to the plasticky leather found in my Eclipse, or the GTO for that matter.