Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Bought a Volvo S60 R last week...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2004, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought a Volvo S60 R last week...

What do you think about this car? It's pretty impressive. 300 horsepower. All wheel drive, 6 speed manual, 13" Brembos, 18" wheels.

I found it used with 18,000 miles but it came with a volvo certified 100,000 mile warranty. The dealership had it tagged for 35,000 and I puchased it for $31,000. I think I got a pretty good deal considering it was $41,000 just a few months ago.

Only problem is (NOT A PROBLEM FOR ME! ) is that it's red just like my Evo. Oh well. Two AWD turbo sedans can't hurt can it?

Old Aug 18, 2004, 07:04 PM

So you traded in the S? Anyways sweet new ride man. Looks awesome. Take good care of her and always park her behind RR.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

DUDE...that is the most *****in' Brick ever! I love Volvos. Too bad it's not like the 242.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of upgrades are available for this car? What boost does it run out of the factory? I wonder if these cars can easily add 100HP. that would be an M5 killer...

They are Turbo I-5's, right?

I'd take one of these over an M5 if it could be easily modded. Half the price!
Old Aug 18, 2004, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

cool

Cool. I've owned nothing but volvos before i got my lancer. They really are the safest cars in the world. I hit a cow in my first one ('89 240 totaled RIP), then I got T-boned by a drunk running a stop sign in my second one ('93 940 totaled RIP), and in my third one (95 850 totaled RIP) another drunk hit my car while it was parked. The last one was the weirdest one. I came out from the mall and my car is totaled and there are cops waiting. I really miss all of them. I was getting in accidents left and right in the Volvos and since I switched to my Mitsu I haven't had a wreck, "knock on wood". But the volvos are awesome. I'm not sure if the build quality is the same now that Ford ownes them but as long as the execs dont mess with the sweeds and let them keep doing their thing it will be all good. When the S60 R came out I wished I had more money and was out of school. I'd ****** one up in a heartbeat. Congrats on the purchase and post pics of yours when you can.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by mr_b401
So you traded in the S? Anyways sweet new ride man. Looks awesome. Take good care of her and always park her behind RR.
Thanks for the compliments. Yeah. I traded in the S2000. It was a fun car but the lack of torque was killing me and also the engine was running like ****. I went on the AKA rally and went from New York to LA pretty hard and i did a nasty mis-shift from redline 3rd in to 2nd that bent a valve and caused it to lose about 30 lbs of compression in cylinder 2. So it was definitely time to get rid of it. I took a nasty hit on depreciation. Bought it for $32,800 in September of 2002 and traded it in for $18,300 in August of 2004. That roughly about $600 a month in depreciation. EXPENSIVE LESSON FOR ME.

I already raced the Evo against the S60 R. And they are dead even from a roll. The clutch engagement on the S60R is pretty springy and it doesn't launch as well as the Evo. So from a stop the Volvo is slower. But I imagine I could easily click off a 13.XX at the track with it.

As far as mods I'm reading about an ECU flash that's getting about 300 to the wheels and from what I read the intake and the exhaust are very efficient. So the only modification I could do is an electric exhaust dump at the cat. If I'm correct it's running about 1.17 bar in boost. But don't quote me. I don't own a digital camera so I won't have pics up anytime soon unless a friend takes them.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Check with ipd about upgrades. They're well-known Volvo tuners.

Another cool thing: I saw an S60R in VA with some sick Defi boost and EGT gauges custom-mounted in the area where I guess the sunglass holder goes. The guy had a stereo place build a dual pod to fit the spot. They looked great (esp. since they were the BF - black face - ones that "disappear").

Nice ride...
Old Aug 18, 2004, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Sweet car...how do you like the shifting action? Can you disable all of the driving computers?
Old Aug 18, 2004, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

I test drove one and thought it was amazing. The auto was ok, but the only thing I didn't really like was the brake pedal feel. The best way to describe it was "iffy", there really didn't seem to be any definable engagement point. Really difficult to modulate. However, once you're deep enough into the pedal, the brakes clamped hard.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

nice i think volvos look pretty damn cool. some of my friends have really old ones, and one my friends has like 300,000 miles on it. lol i havent talked to him in like a year, but last i heard it was still running!
Old Aug 18, 2004, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by MarcioTheGreat
nice i think volvos look pretty damn cool. some of my friends have really old ones, and one my friends has like 300,000 miles on it. lol i havent talked to him in like a year, but last i heard it was still running!
Well. Probably like all of my other cars. i'll keep it for a year or two. I'm 24 now and am on my 7th car.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

Awsome! Now just make it look as hot and go as fast as this one...

Its debuting @ Road America in the SWC GT race this weekend. Should be very interesting to see how competitive it is. Theres live T&S available @ americanlemans.com in the "paddock" section if you want to check out how it stacks up. Also its At Speed Motorsports I believe that are at the reins along w/ Volvo NA. They probably have a website if you wanna see exactly what upgrades they've made (obviously not all of them will be street legal/practical).
Old Aug 18, 2004, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

very nice car indeed, I bet it has a lot of low-end grunt since it's a 5 banger

Last edited by evo542; Aug 19, 2004 at 12:05 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

hmmmmm........you own a EVO 8 and a S60 R but you dont own a digi cam??? Not bashing but that is weird.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RacingHart
I already raced the Evo against the S60 R. And they are dead even from a roll. The clutch engagement on the S60R is pretty springy and it doesn't launch as well as the Evo. So from a stop the Volvo is slower. But I imagine I could easily click off a 13.XX at the track with it.
I'd be shocked if you could pull off a 13.XX

i5 - should be awesome to mod - Best 'o luck

Oh yeah - Chronohunter is on that Volvo team w/Derek Bell

Quick Reply: Bought a Volvo S60 R last week...