Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

3G V6 Eclipse: Vacuum leak sound and hesitation @ 4200rpm

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2004, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3G V6 Eclipse: Vacuum leak sound and hesitation @ 4200rpm

Doesn't happen in neutral free-revving (did it once or twice without an issue).

Doesn't happen if you gradually accelerate.

Does occur with more than 60% of the throttle applied. There's immediate hesitation when you reach 4200rpm and a very distinctive vacuum sound. Sort of sounds like a VTA BOV with a stuck open valve.

Engine has never been modified (the 3G Eclipse just can't be helped, heh), so I'm guessing a hose leak. It'll be 2 1/2 hours before it cools down enough to get under the hood, so just curious as to what folks think might be the loose culprit.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, think I found it.

After checking all the hoses and hose clamps, and finding nothing wrong, I had to start digging around. Well, didn't take me more than a minute to look at the front-intake to notice the impressions that two washers would have made when tightened down. No screws were there. Sure enough, I could move the intake ram around fairly easily, lifting it up a good 3 inches.

I lowered the hood to see where it would make a seal against the foam. Using some piano wire, I tried lifting the intake ram, and sure enough I can.

So there's our culprit. Loose front intake. Dealer did my last oil/filter change, so I'll have them install those bolts on their dime.