Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Z vs. Evo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2004, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you only have one friend then go with the Z. But if you have more than one, get the Evo.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 07:37 PM

Hey you guys thanks for the info. I am still unsure about the car. Evo feels so amazing. 350Z feels more powerful in normal sit. I guess thats due to low end torque. I am wondering, does anybody have a used evo, that they are willing to sell?
Old Sep 7, 2004, 07:50 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Wow, I didn't feel 350 more powerful. I had an 03 Accord V6-6MT and the Z didn't feel any more powerful. RWD was obviouslly a big plus however I wasn't impressed with the car in general. I'm sure if I had 30k to spend and wasn't looking for any room in my car I'd get the new 04 S2000 which is an awesome car. I'm sure I would also look at 05 STis. No leather but also nicer interior than the Evo and a bit more creature comfort. How about VW R32?
Then again, if you're stuck on the Z you should get it You'll probably be sorry later.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

just the fact that the other is auto is enough for me to say no.... i would rather have a manual b16 civic si than an auto 350z
Old Sep 7, 2004, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by neal540
Hey you guys thanks for the info. I am still unsure about the car. Evo feels so amazing. 350Z feels more powerful in normal sit. I guess thats due to low end torque. I am wondering, does anybody have a used evo, that they are willing to sell?
The Evo lives and breathes above 3000rpm, so unless you were consistently keeping your revs up, the Evo will feel slower due to turbo lag. Personally I usually keep my rpms between 3200-3500 unless I'm in stealth mode when I'm driving near a cop

... and I'm with Buckkaaaa!! on the auto vs. stick ... as far as I'm concerned auto isn't a choice, no matter what the car... period

l8r)
Old Sep 7, 2004, 08:09 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Well! Maybe this help you in making decision. I just smoked a 350Z on freeway on my way home from work. I was getting on freeway slowly behind a carmy and he keeps riding my butt like I'm too slow when I was just try to yield for the camry to merge. Before the lane merge into freeway end, he switched to the left lane and drive by me with a "dirty" look. But once he passed me, I switched to the same lane, WOT, and passed his screaming Z like he's standing still. He was trying and had a head start.
That's what an EVO with turboback exhaust, cams, and SAFCII will do to the Z if you buy it.
I argreed with others that the EVO is one of the best looking car, not the 350Z. Off course I owned an EVO and maybe bias. But I actually like the EVO from the beginning when I saw it in a magazine sometimes ago.
Buy an EVO man.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BlankStare
You're either BSing or you have NO idea how to spend your money. 10K in parts and you should be hitting ~450rwHP and that's being conservative. Forged internals, turbo kit, exhaust.... Not to mention the loss in the powertrain of the AWD, RWD is much more efficient...more power from the motor to the ground. An Evo can't touch anything near that with only 1K, sorry man.

Maybe you're going by SOTP feel in which AWD can be better because of the increased traction...but like I said, 10K and you should be walking most Evo's out there even, even modded ones.
That all depends on how he spent the $10k. If he spent it on dress-up mods and a really nice exhaust then he would be out $10k real quick and wouldn't be smoking any evos.. If he had gone with a Greddy TT kit, exhaust, and real good engine tune then he could be smoking some Evos (probably stock ones). However, if he invest that $10K in a custom build (either all-motor or a custom twin-turbo setup) then yes, he would be owning Evos day and night. The Greddy TT kit puts down over 340 hp 334 lb/ft torque on 8 psi, a custom TT job could go even higher. The Evo only wishes it could put out that kind of power at a lower psi.

Last edited by cmbjive; Sep 7, 2004 at 08:24 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 10:10 PM

Ok

Well here's the deal, the dealership guy that quoted us 30k for the evo w/ sun sound and leather apparantly didnt know his **** becuase he added 1500 of discount that didnt work (1000 mitsu rebate (not evo), 500 mitsu loyalty rebate.)

31500+tax=35ish = too much

i want a used one tahts not abused, where should i search?

btw, 2004 evo does have its perks though, 10-year/100,000-mile Powertrain Limited Warranty, a 7-year/100,000-mile Anti-Corrosion/Perforation Limited Warranty and a 3-year/36,0000-mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Please see your local participating Dealer for Limited Warranty terms and conditions.

those are its benefits
Old Sep 7, 2004, 11:30 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
FYI. Those warranty benefits will evaporate into the air as soon as you do some mods.

Originally Posted by neal540
Well here's the deal, the dealership guy that quoted us 30k for the evo w/ sun sound and leather apparantly didnt know his **** becuase he added 1500 of discount that didnt work (1000 mitsu rebate (not evo), 500 mitsu loyalty rebate.)

31500+tax=35ish = too much

i want a used one tahts not abused, where should i search?

btw, 2004 evo does have its perks though, 10-year/100,000-mile Powertrain Limited Warranty, a 7-year/100,000-mile Anti-Corrosion/Perforation Limited Warranty and a 3-year/36,0000-mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Please see your local participating Dealer for Limited Warranty terms and conditions.

those are its benefits
Old Sep 8, 2004, 12:56 PM

No modding for me, this car will stay stock with the exception of some tint and some jdm lights and maybe a jdm badge. i cant afford any more than that, and of course a valentine one or a passport x50
Old Sep 9, 2004, 06:10 PM

Whens the 05 expected to arrive?
Old Sep 10, 2004, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlankStare
You're either BSing or you have NO idea how to spend your money. 10K in parts and you should be hitting ~450rwHP and that's being conservative. Forged internals, turbo kit, exhaust.... Not to mention the loss in the powertrain of the AWD, RWD is much more efficient...more power from the motor to the ground. An Evo can't touch anything near that with only 1K, sorry man.

Maybe you're going by SOTP feel in which AWD can be better because of the increased traction...but like I said, 10K and you should be walking most Evo's out there even, even modded ones.
Hueman was right, 3K of it was NISMO wheels and Toyo Tires. 3K was in full NISMO suspension. About 4K was powertrain.

Nothing I do is seat of the pants. I race NHRA and IHRA and know how to put a car together that makes power. Not to open a challenge up, but I guarantee you I can make more power than you with the same car and the same amount of mod dollars. Don't worry about how I spend my money.

BTW, I had 270 RWHP which was more than any other dynoed Z out there without cams. Funny, my EVO is on the same path. Camless and outrunning guys with cams and only 1K spent. You're right, I waste my money. Poor assumption without thought. Don't quote me then follow up with babble. Thanks.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stock Z -vs- stock EVO = EVO
modded Z -vs- modded EVO = EVO

i almost bought a Z, and to tell you the truth i really don't think i would be to disappointed with it, but i do like my EVO better, cause its just more of a race car, even though the Z does, in some peoples eyes, look faster.

oh well go with what ever you want man, but if you get a Z you are cheating yourself if you get an auto.

James
Old Sep 11, 2004, 11:34 AM

Yea, you know...because the "I had 10k in mods" should really include the new wheels and tires you got. Please, you're just trying to glorify the Evo as much as you possibly can. I know this is an Evo board but it's people like you that make me hate car enthusiast boards. If you really wanted to, you could make a 600rwHP 350Z on pump gas...you wouldnt be able to get within 100wHP with the Evo on pump gas. Of course it would cost you 20K :P

Anyways, to the question, it doesn't seem like you're the type of person who will be doing a lot of mods. The 350Z pretty much sucks in the area of mods. The average mod will give you 5HP at the most....most people get 5-10 HP from a CAI and Cat-back w/ hi-flow cats. The Evo responds much better to light mods and is cheaper to do as well. The 350Z will definetly get more looks, especially from girls (chicks LOVE those cars), but IMO I feel the Evo has a much more aggressive look to it. The 350Z is more refined and has a few more creature comforts. The drivetrain is up to you, I personally prefer the stick but I live in the suburbs...if you're in the city I would DEFINTELY opt for the auto.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
evo - all season? Z - is alot slower then evo .. dont get evo buy z

Quick Reply: Z vs. Evo