Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Z vs. Evo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2004, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlankStare
Yea, you know...because the "I had 10k in mods" should really include the new wheels and tires you got. Please, you're just trying to glorify the Evo as much as you possibly can. I know this is an Evo board but it's people like you that make me hate car enthusiast boards. If you really wanted to, you could make a 600rwHP 350Z on pump gas...you wouldnt be able to get within 100wHP with the Evo on pump gas. Of course it would cost you 20K :P
not trying to flame here... but in order for the vq35 to put out that much hp, wouldn't you have to do a MASSIVE rebuild in order to handle that much boost? i haven't even heard of a Z breaking into 10's, though admittedly i don't go around looking for them. what IS the fastest Z on pump gas? or the most powerful vq35 on pump gas? i just can't imagine an NA car from factory that's as highly tuned as the vq35 making that kind of power with aftermarket FI on pump gas. it just doesn't seem practical in any way. on race gas, sure, i'll buy that.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
just get Z
Old Sep 11, 2004, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When shopping for my car i drove the following...ALl complements of carmax..hehe

03'350z:02 lexis IS300: 03 s2000: I then went to a mitsu dealer and subaru dealinga dn drove the sti, and EVO. This is just my opinion, but i wanted them all, lol, but i ahd to choose and from SOTP i <3's teh evo. yes it had some lag, but PHUUK when the turbo hit, dammN!....plus, i am not a huge modder, so teh warrenties i got are very nice, and if you make"good friends" with teh techs at your mitsu dealer, even with mods, they'll find a way to keep the warrenty. You can't do HUge mods like turbo upgrade or anything but lil things would be "ok"....

Just my opinion, GOOD luck in choosing, either way you should be extremely happy to be gettin a nice ride.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

I LOVE the Z. I test drove one a few weeks ago and fell in love with it. The car is an exceptional blend of sport and luxury. The Z wasn't meant to be THAT fast, but it was meant to be built as, like was said, a traditional sports car, and I do think it is a fine build. I love the way the Z drives, handles, and performs and the interior is absolutely beautiful.

I was actually looking at trading my modded evo for a white/white Z since i'm building up a dedicated race car. It's a hell of a car for sure.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hueman
not trying to flame here... but in order for the vq35 to put out that much hp, wouldn't you have to do a MASSIVE rebuild in order to handle that much boost? i haven't even heard of a Z breaking into 10's, though admittedly i don't go around looking for them. what IS the fastest Z on pump gas? or the most powerful vq35 on pump gas? i just can't imagine an NA car from factory that's as highly tuned as the vq35 making that kind of power with aftermarket FI on pump gas. it just doesn't seem practical in any way. on race gas, sure, i'll buy that.

Hueman, BlankStare has NO clue what he is talking about. The highest HP Z that I know of in the USA, and I still closely follow the scene, is a twinturbo making around 450 HP and running HIGH 12's (pump gas). There are more powerful 350Z's overseas with completely rebuilt motors, etc. I am talking about a pump gas car. The Z makes 10.3 compression. It can't run sht for boost. That is why I got rid of it. To make REAL power, it was going to take REAL dollars. The guy with only 450 WHP was on the ragged edge of tune and blew over 20K.

You can see that power with the Evo for less than 3K. Chew on that, BlankStare.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

hueman's right, man. If you're looking for performance... especially point to point performance, the Evo (especially slightly modded) is almost impossible to beat. There are cars that are faster on the straights (not the Z, though), and cars that handle a little better (again, not the Z), but the Evo really is just about the best blend of everything. To boot, it's semi-practical, having 4 doors, a large trunk and REAL room for 4 adults, as well as decent gas mileage when your not WOT all the time. For a car that can do almost anything under almost any conditions, rally inspired AWD is the way to go. Along those lines, I put the Evo just ahead of the STi because so far it's easier and cheaper to get more out of the Evo. (If you need further proof, just look at the results of the Evo v. wrx/sti races yesterday...) I'm sure if you buy a 350z, you'll love it, but really just depends on what's important to you.