Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Neon SRT-4

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2002, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neon SRT-4

anyone see this months sport compact car? for those that didn't - they got a hold of a preproduction SRT-4 and it dynoed at 220+ HP and 250 torque. that, and it looks pretty good with the big FMIC... if only it weren't fwd - but even then it is one hell of a deal at under $20k. 5.8 0-60 and 14.2 1/4 isn't bad for a stock fwd econo-box. oh, and daimler/chrysler says the finished product will be within a few % of the numbers SSC produced.
Old Oct 30, 2002, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Yea the specs on it are great, price is right... but I just cant justify the styling... I think its hideous.
Old Oct 30, 2002, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

that's pretty fast hope the U.S. evo will beat that!
Old Oct 30, 2002, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

I don't leave many posts, and I usually don't comment even if what is said sounds crazy to me, but damn I've got to open my mouth this time. How can you be impress by that Neon POS!!! It looks like crap and so is its power. How dare you write something like that in this forum. The SRT-4 is pure CRAP, I wouldn't buy it if it were $10,000 and remember everyone... YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!!!!!!! Never forget that!
Old Oct 30, 2002, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

oh, the US spec Evo will paste it, don't sweat that for a second - the WRX will take the SRT-4

yeah, too bad it is a Dodge and FWD (ick!)... but it is a step in the right direction...
Old Oct 30, 2002, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, welcome to torque-steer-town, anyone?
Old Oct 30, 2002, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Just read the article and if doesn't come with the LSD stock, I don't think to many non-enthusiasts would pay for it. It'd be stupid of Dodge to not make it standard.
Old Oct 30, 2002, 12:17 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by tpm17
I don't leave many posts, and I usually don't comment even if what is said sounds crazy to me, but damn I've got to open my mouth this time. How can you be impress by that Neon POS!!! It looks like crap and so is its power. How dare you write something like that in this forum. The SRT-4 is pure CRAP, I wouldn't buy it if it were $10,000 and remember everyone... YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!!!!!!! Never forget that!
One of the fastest car sub 20g's you can buy new aside from maybe Stangs, Camaros or TA's. I think you're selling the SRT-4 short.
Old Oct 30, 2002, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

"I don't leave many posts, and I usually don't comment even if what is said sounds crazy to me, but damn I've got to open my mouth this time. How can you be impress by that Neon POS!!! "

Wow, I have to leave a post about this....

The Neon SRT-4 is a damn fine car. Dodge did this car pretty well, in my opinion. From the factory with 220 hp at the wheels? I mean the engine isnt the greatest, but it has some nice features, such as oil jets to cool the pistons, etc. You want to talk about crap? Dodge makes the engine and tranny in your Galant, bud, and its made in the diamond star plant in Normal, Illinois. So wheres your point? I think that for under 20 grand, the SRT-4 cannot be beat. Yes it does have torque steer. Yes the Mazdaspeed Protege will smoke it in autocross. But who cares? The SRT-4 will probably make a Turbo Lancer (read turbo lancer, not Evo) look sick. (Sorry Rock, RRM's turbo kit is awsome in its own light) Yes you get what you pay for, and for 20 grand your getting a car that in a straight line can makes a drivers match out of a race with a WRX. Its the classic import story. Take a economical car and turn it into a fast street car.

And by the way, and car that car sustain 14psi of boost from the factory is not crap. Do some more research before you spout off about how crappy this or that car is. Just be glad domestic companies are starting to see the trend and are answering the call for cheap, fast small cars.
Old Oct 30, 2002, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

SRT4 is good

I gotta agree, the SRT4 is a great compact racer. I may not like the looks, but I respect its performance.

Originally posted by Tristar Racing
Dodge makes the engine and tranny in your Galant, bud, and its made in the diamond star plant in Normal, Illinois.
Actually the 2.4l 4G64 in the Galant is in no way related to the Dodge engine. Also, the Dodge is not built at DSM but, I may be wrong on this one, at Chryslers Belvedere plant.

Getting your facts straight...
Old Oct 30, 2002, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Tristar Racing
You want to talk about crap? Dodge makes the engine and tranny in your Galant, bud, and its made in the diamond star plant in Normal, Illinois.
I hate to say this, but i got u on this. The 8G galant/3g eclipse motor and tranny weren't built here in the US. They were built in Japan. and as far as i know, Mitsu has plants in Japan, not Chrysler. The 8G galant was only assembled @ Normal.

Mitsu makes motors for many cars not only mitsu but some of the dodge vehicles and of course who can forget hyundai. But yea dodge only borrows the motor from mitsu. The only time mitsu has used a chrysler motor on the eclipse/galant platform was on the 2g. The hard top n/a version to be correct, which used the 420a motor. The sypder versions needed a lil bit more pep and used the 4g64 motor

but i do have to say, that new neon is pretty tight...
Old Oct 30, 2002, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

I'm 90% sure I saw somewhere the srt4 has LSD standard... have to do some digging. It would be rediculous not to. By the time this comes out, if they havent done anything new to beef up the lancer or if I havent hit the lottery for an EVO, this is definitely a option to consider.
Old Oct 30, 2002, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

the SRT-4, at least the first year will not have LSD - and this is a know oversight by the engineers, but they want to get the car on the streets

Tristar - I agree with you 100% - the SRT is a wonderful bargain, not my cup of tea, but because I don't like it doesn't make it any less of a car.
Old Oct 30, 2002, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

The V-6 was co-developed with Chrysler though, and yes I know the Neon is not made in Normal. Just thought Id mention.
Old Oct 30, 2002, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm pretty sure this Neon also has no muffler...its like something inside the engine that makes it quiet....but i dunno..

Quick Reply: Neon SRT-4