Notices
Mid-Atlantic Region Includes DC, DE, MD, VA, WV.

Learning to drive stick

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2007, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Learning to drive stick

ok, i'm coming out the closet...i cant drive stick. none of my friends have manual cars and my neighbor is never around. i tried calling a couple driving schools but none of them teach it. u cant even rent a manual car anymore.

dont know where else to turn to so i'm gonna put it out there. if u live in the baltimore area, got a pos car laying around and wont mind teaching me how to drive, please shoot me a pm. i'm only askin for like 2-3 lessons until i get the basics. we can tear it up in a empty parking lot...
Old Jul 23, 2007, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its pretty easy really, i taught myself and if you have a little confidence you should be able to figure it out quickly as well
Old Jul 23, 2007, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

^no no no...you're missing the point. i need a car to practice in. no car= no practice. unless its the same as in the video games...
Old Jul 23, 2007, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

If I did I'd help ya out Good luck.. I'm sure you'll get it in no time!
Old Jul 23, 2007, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

very simple, clutch in, move gear to 1st...hit the accelerator and hold at 2grand....then slowly come off the clutch with left foot...and you should feel the car start to move....every car is different, every clutch is different, but this test on a beat down car gives you a good idea of how to pull off(hardest part)..

make sure when comin to a complete stop you have foot on clutch if in gear ...meh, you'll learn the hardway i'm sure.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 05:05 AM

or just buy an evo without knowing how to drive clutch...
who would do something like that? oh yea, i did lol
Old Jul 24, 2007, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

i think u should hire someone for a few lessons locally. ur asking for more then a few quick pointers.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 05:40 AM

We were all in your shoes once, bud. http://www.standardshift.com/forum/ is a pretty good place to learn. The only time I drove stick before the evo was in my friend's pontiac viberator, and that was for only 1 or 2 hours. Then, 2 years later I jumped into the evo... big shock.

I did manage to read up ALOT on how manual transmissions work beforehand.

My advice: If you don't have a car to practice on... Get a good working knowledge on how manual transmissions work in your head. Know what goes into a manual transmission and the mechanics of it. Look up manual transmissions in www.howstuffworks.com, look up videos of people shifting on youtube... research all you can.

Hands on experience does help however, as I managed to stall the evo out of the lot and at every stop sign/light thereafter the day I bought her... it was memorable in a not so good way.

Good luck!
Old Jul 24, 2007, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rivalaC
or just buy an evo without knowing how to drive clutch...
who would do something like that? oh yea, i did lol
Or better yet... get a boyfriend who has a stick..... learn on his.... then buy your own... LOL
Old Jul 24, 2007, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by EvoAngel429625
Or better yet... get a boyfriend who has a stick..... learn on his.... then buy your own... LOL
ouch.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoAngel429625
what of the op is a guy... who's not necessarily gay?!?! Then what?
Old Jul 24, 2007, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

^no big deal...i swing both ways

but seriously tho, i have tried looking for a tutor too. i mean i am willing to pay. lol, i cant believe some of u guys actually bought an evo and couldnt drive it. but its not like i can drive one either
Old Jul 24, 2007, 08:32 AM

i'm actually kinda proud to say that i bought an evo (wasn't the one who test drove it tho, annapolis roads are tricky!) and learned how to drive a stick with this car and, well.. it's at 24k miles and still on the stock clutch and plenty to go. it's a tough little cookie - but anyways, if you want to learn because you want a new car with a manual or something of the sort, when you actually drive that brand new car, it's going to be like learning to drive a clutch anyways - i.e., going from a FWD civic to a AWD turbo evo - imo, it's different playing fields.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is something you might consider....buy a ****ty car just to learn and then sell it....I mean yah it's not the most practical thing and I was lucky my dad had plenty of crappy manual trans cars for me to learn on.

If I were in your situation I'd look for a really old civic for like 3-400 bucks and learn on it. Then I'd probably drive it into the ground for fun or do a burnout until it popped ROFL. But seriously though that seems like a better option. I remember those schools are expensive even for auto lessons....so this way you wont be afraid of messing up something u care about. And if it dont break then you can resell it for what u got it for or donate it or something and get a 1000 dollar tax deduction.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

^ah, that actually sounds like a good idea. that is if i can find a car that cheap.

Quick Reply: Learning to drive stick