Notices
Mark this thread as Unsold

Next gen platforms, next gen turbo kits, a new racing season: 2008 is looking bright

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2008, 11:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Next gen platforms, next gen turbo kits, a new racing season: 2008 is looking bright

Moved to here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...59#post5294859

Had a really fun Evo day yesterday. Started out at Mach V's open house where I saw the new STi for the first time (cool looking car) and chatted with a number of DC Evo folks. Mach V's new showroom is very nicely done (Dan is clearly a detail-oriented guy who takes pride in his shop), the service facility looks spacious, and the location is super convenient for those of us in Northern Virginia. Congrats to Dan for getting it all done so quickly after the rapid exodus from the old location.

In the parking lot I got to see the Madmsheen's 500 whp monster for the first time since the new build. I also saw the dyno graph print out, which I think Seyla should laminate before it becomes too dog-eared and wrinkly from everyone handling it and leaving trace amounts of drool. It was also good to hear of certain members' very ambitious plans for this racing season, which I won't describe out of courtesy to those who are looking to surprise the competition. They don't mind telling me since I'm sooo far behind. By the way, for those who are new to the DC area, if you don't make 500 whp/500 wtq and pull well over a G on the road course...on pump gas and street tires...you might as well go back to NASIOC in your old WRX or honda-tech in your hatch.

After hanging out at Mach V for about 2.5 hours, I went to DTM to say hello to folks there and check out their new projects. I ran into 59Evo (Brett), who I haven't seen in over a year, since a 2006 Car Guys school that I did in my Camaro on the Shenandoah Circuit. Look for Brett to be hitting the road courses with avengeance this year with a fresh set-up, renewed enthusiasm, and a prototype twin scroll turbo kit. Talking to Brett was a bit of a back-to-the-future time capsule experience. When I told him about tracking my Evo (which has seen at least 10 track days by now), he said: "I thought you only tracked the Camaro and were afraid to track the Evo?" Reminds me of how many Evo owners once said that they planned to keep their Evo fairly stock and maybe just add an intake and exhaust...

It was also cool to see an Evo X in person for the first time at the shop. DTM just got their Evo X a few days ago, and my first viewing was appropriately of the car perched on the dyno with the first signs of experimentation evidence under the hood -- missing engine cover and disassembled intake pieces. Like the new STi, the new Evo is a very cool looking car and I think that for the pro tuners it's a bit of a Rubics Cube that everyone is anxious to solve and find all the hidden potential. I'm envious of those like Nick at DTM who have all of the tools to explore that potential. What more could you ask for than the car, a dyno, lots of cutting/bending/welding/fabrication tools, and (soon) the Ecutek software to play with. Of course, I'm disregarding the working 7 days a week, the hours and hours sitting on the bench with a welding shield on, dealing with the phone, the mundane day to day repairs, etc., but still...

Those who spend time on EvoM probably also know that there is a developing interest in twin scroll turbo kits because of the promise of improved spool while maintaining good top end power. There's been talk of this for a while, especially given that our cars come stock with a twin scroll turbo design. Full Race has a kit out that is $6K+ and due to popular demand there seems to be almost a mandate from the masses to develop next gen twin scroll kits at a more realistic price point that give big power and good spool on a stock displacement motor. DTM is working to answer that call and Nick is furiously working at developing a next gen kit, at a better price point, to meet that demand.

Just as an aside, while someone like me looks at a turbo kit and just sees tubes and parts welded together, once you hear someone immersed in this exercise talk about all of the design variables, from the manifold design to the specific combination of turbo components (which goes beyond what you can buy off the shelf), it is all pretty mind boggling. Clearly, there is more R&D to be done before optimal combinations are determined, but I just find it all very exciting that it's going on right in our backyard. While I'm not ready to buy a turbo kit myself, when I do I like the idea of having something made locally and being able to look the designer in the eye and have him explain to me why this particular kit and combination will meet my requirements. I've gone through a similar experience with custom made trumpets (my other hobby) and it is very cool to have something that is built just for you by someone who takes the time to meet with you and discuss your specific needs.

I don't know what it's like to go to Buschur's shop or ETS or other big name turbo kit shops, but seeing all of the pieces laying out on a table -- laser cut flanges, mandrel bent header tubes, a half-constructed twin scroll manifold still searing hot from fresh TIG welding -- it's like being the proverbial kid in a candy shop X 1000.

Anyhow, I had a really good time yesterday and my enthusiasm for the Evo is accelerating as we are nearing the beginning of race season. Time to go out to garage and get back to work on prepping for another season of racing!!!

Last edited by EVO8LTW; Feb 17, 2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:30 PM
DTM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is pic of our X. Rich, Thanks for the kind words. I agree with you that this is a very exciting time for our industry and in our DC area. We have alot of talent here locally and it will show thru very soon. It will be a great year once again!! See ya soon.

Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Oops...posted this in the wrong section. I just reposted in the Mid-Atlantic section:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...59#post5294859