Notices
Mid-Atlantic Region Includes DC, DE, MD, VA, WV.

Find me a dealer in Maryland that will let me test drive an Evo right now today

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2003, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Find me a dealer in Maryland that will let me test drive an Evo right now today

Getting a little tired of all the bull**** at dealerships.

WinKelly can't get their act together and PDI their ****ing Evos (no offense to Jim who works in sales there - he is a great guy) which is typical because that's exactly how their service department ran when I left there last winter.

Rockville is probably going to pull that credit app bull****, which I can get around, but to drive 45 miles to hear that crap is asking a bit much. I'm 90% sure they won't earn my business without even having set foot in the door, just from what they've said over the phone.

Dunno what other dealerships are in my area that have Evos to test drive. Figure I live in northern Howard county MD and let me know where I should go.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

I don't think you're going to get a test drive. Give me a call - I'm in Edgewater, about 35 minutes away down 32-97 and we can take a ride. 410 956-3421.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 07:49 AM

They don't want unwanted mileages on the EVOs unlike other vehicles. Evo customers don't like high mileage cars either when they take delivery. Unless you don't fill out a contract and a deposit, I bet they won't let you drive it. Many people just go there for a joy ride.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah that's totally understandable that they don't want joyriders, but in order to sell me a car I'm going to have to drive the thing at least once.

Besides it would be my only car and I definitely need to get a feel for the clutch and gearshifter, etc.

The reason I don't want a credit check is because it's irrelevant since I'm going to be buying the car outright, not using a loan or anything like that. I'm sure my credit score isn't super high since I only use one credit card (although I've never had a late payment) and tend to buy things when I can afford them instead of making payments.

Dale - thanks for the offer but you're kinda far from where I'm at. Are you ever up in the Columbia area?

Btw I just checked with Len Stolen and they don't even have any in stock.

Last edited by JRock; Aug 15, 2003 at 08:22 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

I know Jerry's Mitsubishi has a yellow one in stock. It has tons of options installed. They will not offer a test drive. Try JBA in Glen Burnie. They usually have a few. I know two of them (Yellow, and Red) have been there for months. They won't budge on the markup. Bastards.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

That sucks, man.

I'd recommend raising as much hell as possible. They gave me the same run-around until I found out my parents knew, through family connections, the owner of the dealership.

They let me test drive it the next day without any hassle.

I will NEVER buy a car I'm not allowed to test drive.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Why don't you just have them call your bank to verify funds available... or just show up with the cash.

You seem to be asking an awful lot, but don't want to give anything back. Can't say I blame them, I wouldn't let you drive it either.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

What's the big deal? Just let them run the credit app, and if they turn you down go in prepared with a recent statement from your bank indicating funds. Yes, it's only a car but as someone pointed out above, the legitimate buyers don't want to purchase Evo's with high "test miles" (which are usually filled with hard driving, shifting and braking).
Old Aug 15, 2003, 09:32 AM

i put 1500 down on my evo in jan and when it came in i was deployed and in ft drum ny when my parents went in to test drive it the wouldnt even unlock the doors untill my dad explained who he was and then they were more than generous. bottom line brother money talks, if you dont have the money then your probably not getting one so id put out the money or forget about it.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by sneakychaos
Why don't you just have them call your bank to verify funds available... or just show up with the cash.

You seem to be asking an awful lot, but don't want to give anything back. Can't say I blame them, I wouldn't let you drive it either.
Haha, no thanks, I just wouldn't buy it from you if you have that attitude. If you don't want to treat your serious customers as valued guests, you won't be in the car business long.

I give no false impressions that would make a salesman suspect me as not being able to afford the car, so I don't even fall in the mental category you are trying to place me in. I work selling luxury cars; I know how to test drive properly.

I'm not a kid walking up the door in a 12-year-old base-model Civic with a fartpipe asking to test drive a Ferrari. I have a car I bought two years ago that costs slightly more than what the Evo costs now. And it's paid off. And I'm looking for a sportier car to replace it with. The Evo is on my list of cars to check out.

As was mentioned above by another poster, I will not buy a car I cannot test drive. THAT is asking too much. Would you buy a TV without being able to see the quality of picture it projects? How about a camera without seeing the quality of pictures it takes?

Do you have to see my bank statements and other personal information before you can show me such things? I think not. That's what you're asking of me though.

Anyway, I know I can test drive at WK, they just don't have theirs PDI'd yet because their service department is a joke.

I just got back from there (since I was headed across the street anyway to test drive an s2000 again) and spent a few minutes chatting with Jim. Then I went across the street and drove the s2000 again, and once again came away with the impression that it's definitely worth the pricetag. And that impression was made without ever taking it over 5k rpm or ragging it around corners. It's simply a well-laid out, enjoyable sportscar with great handling and enough comfort and an easy enough clutch and shifter that daily driving wouldn't be a problem. The only downside to the car is that it's not quite as practical as a 4-door AWD car for year-round driving.

I'd LIKE to be able to say the same positives about the Evo, but since I have yet to drive one, I can't.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by AvatarOfWar
Yes, it's only a car but as someone pointed out above, the legitimate buyers don't want to purchase Evo's with high "test miles" (which are usually filled with hard driving, shifting and braking).
Well first of all a new car shouldn't be treated that way. If it is, that's the dealership's fault for not monitoring/regulating their test drives properly.

Second, what a real dealership will do is designate one of each car as a test drive or demo vehicle. This will be the only one which accrues mileage and in the end it MAY need to be sold with a slight incentive of some sort. That's just part of the cost of owning a dealership. (Although they'd still make a handsome profit on the car anyway so it's a moot point.)

So really there is no excuse for not allowing serious buyers to test drive the car.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Show the dealer your $30k in cash funds.....Large amounts of cash have a tendancy to sway people away from the normal operating procedure.... huhu

Of course they won't give you are ride. Because to them, you are just another punk who wants a test drive. They have no way of telling you from the riff-raff, besides some sort of credit verification....thats why I say, show em cash.

Otherwise.....I suggest you take Dale up on his offer for a ride. Hell, if you are in NoVA, I'd give you a ride too.

SC~ who bought without driving, or even seeing an Evo before his arrived.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

You're a brave man.

Yeah yeah, well I will wait for Sunday and hopefully they'll have one PDI'd by then.

I do appreciate the offers though, guys. Maybe if I come back from the test drive and like the feel of the car but want to know what the REAL performance is like, I will hook up with one of you and get a demonstration.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Hey,

I have been looking for an EVO for 3 months. My first color choice is the BBY with SR and CF Wing. The next choice is Silver. I have not had any luck with finding one that is reasonably priced (Markup and dealer installed options). I am in Baltimore and would love to get a ride in an EVO just to keep me away from the 1995 Supra Twin Turbo that is sitting next to me at work for sale. The Supra is cherry, completely stock. I am very flexible and totally understand about prior engagements. Please let me know.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 11:46 AM

we do it with credit app unfortantly to keep joy riders away.

They WILL be PDI'd on monday...

We have a BBY with low wing sunroof.. at MSRP. 100 under if you mention this forum to me.

Quick Reply: Find me a dealer in Maryland that will let me test drive an Evo right now today