Notices
Mid-Atlantic Region Includes DC, DE, MD, VA, WV.

84 in 55mph: Get a lawyer? ..or not

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2010, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
84 in 55mph: Get a lawyer? ..or not

UPDATE: well court was today ended up getting a lawyer and he got the fine reduced to a 3 point charge, failure to obey highway sign with a $50 fine.. sooo yeaa pretty much LAWYER FTW

well i recently got a speeding/reckless ticket on the highway doing 84 in a 55mph zone. was stuck in traffic for a while then when i saw that it was opening up i kinda floored it and thats right when he got me.

so anywho my record is pretty much clean +3 having had a moving violation ticket in about 5 years or so. last reckless ticket was 5 years ago. been pretty good about not breaking the law until that night. im also going to be taking a volunteer drivers improvement class just to up my points and to kinda make it look good in court

my question is do u guys think i should get a lawyer or just ride it out and plea guilty?

oh yea this was also fairfax county in virginia and caught by a state trooper. (which makes it all a worse than any other county in VA)

Last edited by Darkn3s; Feb 24, 2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
2nd reckless in NOVA? Get a lawyer and be prepared to spend some weekends in jail. You had to have heard about the horror stories in northern VA for reckless driving. I have no sympathy for you.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TeStUdO, you sure you're not being a hypocrit? With a mod list like that, you've never floored it on a public road?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 05:54 AM

I was in a similar situation before. I spoke with a lawyer who was a friend of the family and he said he would not feel right about going to court about the ticket since he did not think that I would get off the ticket regardless of if I took him or not. He said he did not want to take my money because he was almost positive I was going to get the ticket. Some pointers he gave me was that when you are in court focus on the responsible things you have done. Job, schooling, volunteer work, that kind of stuff. Sometimes you get a judge where there is just nothing you can possibly say to change their mind. But showing them that you are normally responsible and this was just a lapse in judgment will be your best bet. If you take a lawyer with you he is just going to do the same thing. Hope this helps

Oh. And when you go at least wear something nice. Don't walk in there unshaven and looking like a slob. Wear a suit or whatever the nicest clothes you have are.

Last edited by X_Evo; Jan 13, 2010 at 06:01 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Definitely hire a lawyer. I got a 95 in a 65 while trying to check something on the car. The lawyer is what saved my ***.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by RinJuice
TeStUdO, you sure you're not being a hypocrit? With a mod list like that, you've never floored it on a public road?
My Evo sits in the driveway most of the time, it's not my daily driver. If you lived in this area you would know that they are harder on you for reckless driving than they are for DUI/DWI. Northern Virginia (Fairfax County in particular) has some of the hardest penalties in the United States for reckless driving. It's common knowledge around here.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

Lawyers don't always get you out of the ticket but can help negotiate a smaller penalty. Sounds like your really worried. I would at least talk to a lawyer.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 06:14 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont know NOVA too well, but I've gotten out of a 5 point ticket in Philly, even with the issuing officer telling me to get a lawyer. I went to court, apologized for my stupidity, and basically said I could afford the fine but not the points. Judge bought it, I paid the fine, and ticket never got on my record. You might get favorable treatment given your 5 year clean record.

Then again, may be 10x easier with a lawyer. My judge was a happy, go lucky type guy! Good Luck!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TeStUdO
My Evo sits in the driveway most of the time, it's not my daily driver. If you lived in this area you would know that they are harder on you for reckless driving than they are for DUI/DWI. Northern Virginia (Fairfax County in particular) has some of the hardest penalties in the United States for reckless driving. It's common knowledge around here.
well its been about 5 years like i posted in the earlier post.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RinJuice
+1 haha ... someone with a built block is saying that
Old Jan 13, 2010, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chu
I dont know NOVA too well, but I've gotten out of a 5 point ticket in Philly, even with the issuing officer telling me to get a lawyer. I went to court, apologized for my stupidity, and basically said I could afford the fine but not the points. Judge bought it, I paid the fine, and ticket never got on my record. You might get favorable treatment given your 5 year clean record.

Then again, may be 10x easier with a lawyer. My judge was a happy, go lucky type guy! Good Luck!
thats what im hoping for.. ive had plenty of those at the prince william court house, havent had much luck in fairfax county
Old Jan 13, 2010, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 5LEEPERISAH23I
+1 haha ... someone with a built block is saying that
yea weird guy.. theres always one in every thread
Old Jan 13, 2010, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Been there twice, different State. My honest opinion is do it alone. The lawyer really wont get anything done for you. Go in there with your head held high and take it like a man. The lawyer cost is outrageous and there is no guarantee. Just depends on the judges mood that morning. Talk to as many people as you can so you know your options. And plead guilty and just ask the judge for an appropriate penalty. Whether it be community service, probation, or whatever suits you. Most judges even the dik heads are understanding to your everyday life situations as long as you dont come off as rude or non respecting. Every State is so different and they all crack down on certain things at certain times. So its hard for anyone to give you solid advice. My lawyer didnt get much done for me either time and after it was done I was like "damn, I could've done that"... Best of luck...
Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

I live in Philly and went to N.C. and on my was back I drove in the P.O.V. lane and was caught speeding by VA state trooper and gave me 3 tickets and when I went to court they just made me pay for the tickets and let me keep my points. I think all they really want is your money for the state because if they do take your license away then can't ticket you again for what 5 10yrs. which would be to their disadvantage. Unless you really drove like a real mad man! but yea I went with out a lawyer, coming from Philly to VA and literally the day after that Korean guy went nuts at V-tech and guess what I'm Asian so I think I really got lucky or what I said was true they just want our money.....pay the fine and keep the points just gotta ask for the plea but yes a lawyer is a + so GL to you and LET US KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chin0
I live in Philly and went to N.C. and on my was back I drove in the P.O.V. lane and was caught speeding by VA state trooper and gave me 3 tickets and when I went to court they just made me pay for the tickets and let me keep my points. I think all they really want is your money for the state because if they do take your license away then can't ticket you again for what 5 10yrs. which would be to their disadvantage. Unless you really drove like a real mad man! but yea I went with out a lawyer, coming from Philly to VA and literally the day after that Korean guy went nuts at V-tech and guess what I'm Asian so I think I really got lucky or what I said was true they just want our money.....pay the fine and keep the points just gotta ask for the plea but yes a lawyer is a + so GL to you and LET US KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!
thanks guys for the advice