Notices
Mid-Atlantic Region Includes DC, DE, MD, VA, WV.

MD Tint Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MD Tint Ticket

Hey guys
Back in March '11, I was driving on UMD's campus and was pulled over by a campus cop for having illegal tints. I was given the option to either pay it off, or have it fixed within 10 days, and have to show up in court to prove that I fixed it. This was my second tint ticket since I had the EVO, and just paid it off like my first one because I didnt want to deal with taking off the tints and then having to go to court.

6 months later, I get a notice of suspension saying that I did not have my tints fixed to a legal percentage, and that I have 5 days (Three of which are weekends/Labor Day) to get it fixed and inspected in Glen Burnie. FUUUU

I thought if you just pay it off, I did not have to get the windows inspected. I had gotten my first tint ticket back in 09 and just paid it off without a problem. Is this a new law or something? What was my payment of 90 or so dollars for then?!?!

Can anyone give me some advice?
Also, does anyone know how to remove window tint, and if tint shops offer discounts on retints?

Thanks in advance! This issue is going to ruin my labor day weekend
Old Sep 3, 2011, 12:44 AM
Evolving Member

I remember getting pulled over for my tint in my last vehicle on 83 a few years ago by a state trooper. I got a fine and had to have an inspection shop sign off on it. That was at least 5 years ago because I got the Evo in 06. I'm pretty sure its always had to be signed off on in MD.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

Take it HP Racing in Glen Burnie!!!!They do gr8 tint work and im sure can help u with tint removal and reapplying if u want!also has a great warranty on their work!
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Maverickvf84
Take it HP Racing in Glen Burnie!!!!They do gr8 tint work and im sure can help u with tint removal and reapplying if u want!also has a great warranty on their work!
Thats who did mine to. But in MD you have to get it inspected no matter what to prove that you got the tint taken off. You didnt get a ticket. You got a repair order with a fine. Thats all they give out.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

Yep pay ticket then go have it inspected, if you know a state trooper he can do it for you. If all else fails send me a PM.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
its always good to have a state trooper in your pocket for situations like this. i had a frined of mine sign off on my tint ticket a few years ago.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

lol @ OP.

I had an ex that got pulled over three times for illegal tint. The third time she was told she could be arrested and her car impounded if she didnt fix it perminantly. He gave her a summons to apear in court and had to get a lawyer because she was facing 90 days and a huge fine for repedit offenses. Just get legal and forget about it. She got off with small fine btw...
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone know the limits of tint in MD offhand?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 05:04 AM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
35% is MD law on all glass except windshield
Old Jan 13, 2012, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by USCGSAM
its always good to have a state trooper in your pocket for situations like this. i had a frined of mine sign off on my tint ticket a few years ago.
this no longer works btw, you must drive to pikesville(i do believe there are other locations but thats the only one i can think of, i believe there is 3 total) and have it inspected at the trooper barracks headquarters by them. Troopers are no longer allowed to sign off on these.

Last edited by AntiBlitz; Jan 13, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know if it helps the OP, but you can get a medical note for the tint. My wife has a degenerative eye condition so her optometrist gave her a medical waiver which we have a copy of for each cars. I get pulled over occasionally for the tint and show the officer the note, they say "have a nice day" and I go on my way.