Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Michigan dealer question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2004, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Michigan dealer question

Any locals actually take or have taken their Evos for oil changes or service at a detroit area dealership? Any recommendations as to which dealer to go to? I wanna at least take advantage of getting free oil changes for the first couple of times, until I get an idea of what I will be doing to my Evo. I bought my Evo at Ann Arbor but it's just too far for me to go for service.

thanks in advance.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been going to Showcase in BayCity, great service.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Any mod friendly dealers? and I just mean small bolt-ons like a CAI or something? I was going to buy from Showcase, but didn't do it back then.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

Last time I was at Arnold Mitsu (in Roseville, on Gratiot just north of 12 mile) to buy another oil filter & crush washer, the Service manager gave me a written quote of $35.00 total for oil change, added that if I find anyone who'll do full synthetic Mobil 1 for less, just bring in written proof (past receipt or written quote) of competitor's price & Arnold Mitsu will beat the price by $5.00

Unfortunately, they tend to be not very mod-friendly, although a couple of the guys around here haven't had any dealership problems when taking their modded cars there.

Called a relative who works at Southgate Mitsu: he says they'll also match prices for oil changes, but warned me his dealership looks for mods - no matter how minor - and 3 out of 4 modded Evos have had their part/repair warranties denied because they were modded. (He won't give details on those particular cases, so I don't know exactly what mods trigger their "Warranty Voided" attitude there.)
Old Oct 2, 2004, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoGLH
Last time I was at Arnold Mitsu (in Roseville, on Gratiot just north of 12 mile) to buy another oil filter & crush washer, the Service manager gave me a written quote of $35.00 total for oil change, added that if I find anyone who'll do full synthetic Mobil 1 for less, just bring in written proof (past receipt or written quote) of competitor's price & Arnold Mitsu will beat the price by $5.00

Unfortunately, they tend to be not very mod-friendly, although a couple of the guys around here haven't had any dealership problems when taking their modded cars there.

Called a relative who works at Southgate Mitsu: he says they'll also match prices for oil changes, but warned me his dealership looks for mods - no matter how minor - and 3 out of 4 modded Evos have had their part/repair warranties denied because they were modded. (He won't give details on those particular cases, so I don't know exactly what mods trigger their "Warranty Voided" attitude there.)
ARRRGGG...I havn't been to Arnold since mods.....now I won't go.

I DID go to Moran with my whole dash apart and asked for an oil change. No words were ever spoken of the mods or condition of my car.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

I'm just wondering if they actually put cars with any mods in their "flagged" list to deny warranty if the issue ever comes up.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Neither Arnold or Southgate Mitsu will confirm (or deny) having a WRITTEN list of cars that have been "flagged" to deny warranties soley because of mods. On the other hand, employees at BOTH of those two dealerships have told me that they try to make "mental notes" of what they see/hear about cars & owners.

GreedMoto - have you called or gone to Arnold Mitsu and asked about their policy towards modded Evos? Explain your situation (are an educated professional manager in the 'automotive industry', that you deal with exotic/expensive/high-end cars & owners on daily basis, are a family man, and don't race or abuse the car, etc.) Arnold Mitsu will tend to treat certain people different/better that others.

My family's done business with Arnold Lincoln Mercury/Mitsu for decades, but after having a few bad experiences with them (but only AFTER buying the Evo - figure that...) I went higher up their corporate foodchain, and managed to convince them that it's in their own best interest to be nice to the grey-haired grandpa who's been dealing with their dealership longer than most of their employees have been alive. Since I drive past that dealership daily, I can be a highly visible 'rolling billboard' either for, or against, them - their choice...

Still, I'm holding off on major mods until after warranty runs out, just because of problems other Evo owners have had... (NOT because have a new baby on way - that's a whole different issue!)
Old Oct 3, 2004, 06:27 PM

Before I bought my Evo, I spoke to Andy Liebler(? spelling) the owner of Showcase about mods vs. warranty. And he told me that they would not deny a warranty claim based on mods. He said the only way that the would not honor the warranty is if the mod was a direct result of the failed part.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone here take their Evos for service at Joe Ricci in dearborn?? are they ok? so-so? bad?
Old Oct 7, 2004, 02:28 PM

Before I bought my Evo, I spoke to Andy Liebler(? spelling) the owner of Showcase about mods vs. warranty. And he told me that they would not deny a warranty claim based on mods. He said the only way that the would not honor the warranty is if the mod was a direct result of the failed part.
Andy(you were close, Lieber) is pretty cool about that stuff hey? I never did ask him what he would do about mods. I have known Andy for a while and have bought a vehicle or 2 from him when he was just used cars. I was going to get an EVO but I couldn't wait. It was over 2 years after I got my Rex that they finally came out.

You don't have the silver one running around Bay City do you? I have seen it a few times in the last couple of weeks.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 06:07 PM

Andy(you were close, Lieber) is pretty cool about that stuff hey? I never did ask him what he would do about mods. I have known Andy for a while and have bought a vehicle or 2 from him when he was just used cars. I was going to get an EVO but I couldn't wait. It was over 2 years after I got my Rex that they finally came out.

You don't have the silver one running around Bay City do you? I have seen it a few times in the last couple of weeks.
Yeah, he seemed pretty straight forward about mods. When I was shopping around for my Evo, I had spoke with him about the warranty issue. Because I had read that alot of dealers were not honoring warranties based on mods, and that was basically what he told me. I didn't however end up buying from him, but I do go there for service.

No that isn't me in Bay City, mine is black. The only time I really get up there is for service. I actually live by Frankenmuth.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 06:18 PM

I was there yesterday! I have only seen a silver one and a red one running around BC.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I live in Midland and go to Bay City quite often. I have a Silver '04 EVO.

A group of us are meeting in Saginaw Sunday morning to head over to the strip in Edmore for a test-n-tune day. Anyone from the area is welcome to come. I think we are meeting in the KMart parking lot on M-46 about 8:45am.

EVOlutionary
Old Oct 22, 2004, 09:45 PM

I have seen you running around down by Midland St.

I wouldn't mind checking your car out sometime though.