Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

How do you choose a vanity plate in Illinois?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2005, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you choose a vanity plate in Illinois?

My Michigan license and plates are expired and it's time to switch to Illinois. I searched the IL Sec of State website and all I get is a pdf file to make my request.

I called the 800 number and I was told that I get three chances to pick a plate. If all three choices are taken then I get assigned a random plate. That's a bunch of crap. Michigan has a way to search to see if a vanity plate is taken http://tinyurl.com/45elv . In Illinois I have to cross my fingers?

Do any of you work at a Sec of State office or do you know somebody cool who can search plates for me? I am sure all the various combinations of Evo 8 are taken, such as:

EVO VIII
EVO 8
EVO 08

I don't want this to be a thread on plate suggestions. PM me if you know somebody who can search plates. Thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2005, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You fill out a form, and it has 3 special slots listed, this is true. There's also a box to check if you want to get the next available number if open (like Evo 9, so probably not goof for you).
If none match, then you get sent standard plates - that's true to.
However, you do have the option of trying it again. A few years back, I eventually got my 9th choice for my car. I sent the form in 3 times, it was kind of a gay process, but eventually got something unique.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

yep philip thats right. you fill out that form with your top 3 choices, pay extra money, i think its 95-115 intstead of 78 and away you go.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

I heard a while back that they were working on an online system but I suspect that will never happen.

yeah, on the sos website:

"We are currently not accepting the vanity/personalized form online due to technical and administrative issues."

It's been like that for a couple years For as **** as this state is with plate laws and other fix it tickets, you'd think they'd get around to having an online system at some point. Although you can pay chicago parking tickets online

Last edited by Technoz; Mar 8, 2005 at 08:26 AM.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

I called the Sec of State and they said I need my Soc Sec Card. I spent 1.5 hours at the Social Security office on Monday to get a replacement. They printed a receipt to show that I applied for a replacement.

I went to the Sec of State office in Libertyville on Tuesday and I got IL title and new plates. Got back in line to get an IL license and they would not accept anything to replace a Soc Sec Card. I had my new IL temp title and plates, Michigan license, my passport, two utility bills, my 2004 W2 and my 2004 mortgage statement. The guy said no dice and come back when I have my card. So now I am illegal for 10-14 days until I get my replacement Social Security card in the mail.

I hope the cop who profiles me is cool!