Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Milwaukee - America's Drunkest Evo Owners

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that it is a tuning tool, and a great one at that. But I also think that alot of tuners and owners, including myself, use the dyno simply to prove how much power a car can put down. Look at how many dyno days there are. Hell I'd even be up for a dyno day after scott gets done tuning mine, just to see how it compares to other cars in the area.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:25 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by the-moss
They are around... I went to an outdoor dyno day once, it was mounted on a trailer. Not sure about AWD ones though.
Is it mounted in an outdoor wind tunnel? If not I don't see the point.

For the record, I have dynoed my own car twice. Once stock and once in June 2005. I think the car makes a little bit of power.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

My argument is that every car is different, i said figuratively speaking about florida to WI. I understand that you are throwing your sale out there, but dont try to put me down when arguing your point, i never put you down so dont start a fire here.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The point was that a company could take it from shop to shop offering dynodays I assume.

No wind tunnel, just the usual fans.

So same point as an indoor dyno, just portable.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alright before this turns into a jihad like thread again let me quote something.

No one is putting down AMS. All that was stated is that there is a broader horizon of tuning programs available and at different pricing points. From $50 eflashes to $650 EcuTeK flashes + dynotime.
Now Ryan, Im sure what Scott is trying to accomplish is that there are a lot more shops out there that are now available to tune cars. Let's say AMS was in CA like all the other fruits. And there wasn't a local tuner local to you. Now theres this new thing on the market that lets you log your car send in the logs and your current map and the "tuner" will re-map the ecu and send it back to you via e-mail. Easy right? Now you have a tune thats on it's way to be a "custom" tune for you car.

Using the e-mail for tuning is just one more way to get things done faster with the person you choose without paying high dollar for them to come out and personally touch the car. Hence the fatass. Or the flusher as i like to put it.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:35 AM

Obviously there are positives and negative to both the dyno and road tune. If you really care about your tune and have the money, you will log and make appropriate adjustments under both conditions.
Often dyno tunes tune the car to the edge of its safe capability and then back off a little. This is fine for getting your dyno numbers, but you better log and adjust on the street, especially in a climate like ours, because what was close to the edge on the dyno may be quite unsafe for the engine on the street.

I for one am tuning mine myself right now, but I am far from a pro. My plan is to learn as much as I can, getting things tweaked here and there until I feel I am more-or-less done. Then I plan to send logs and the map to Scott and/or Jester to get their input (hopefully my tuning will not make their job harder and more $$$ ).
After that, money permitting, I plan to visit a dyno and possible make changes accordingly. If I make changes, they will likely be only for reference and will not be used for the street because I will already have a top-notch street tune.

There is a lot of bickering going on here... some comments from both side don't seem to have evidence to support them. All the options have some merit and a real tuner will consider and possibly use many or all of the options.
Look at how many times Mikey has told us he found the "new best thing" only to change his mind again two weeks later. (Sorry Mike, had to )
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Dyno tuning - More repeatable conditions, keeps license intact and children safe.
Road tuning - Better real-world conditions, cheaper (for the tuner).

Both are equally custom tunes, both tuners are looking at the same numbers to base the tune off, the only difference is the method used to collect the numbers.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Mike, I would be doing the eFlash if there were no local tuners or shops around here. I see the point. In my case, AMS built my motor so i wanted them to tune it. Im sure you can see that. Laak got his cams installed for $280 from AMS, which is a good price, so why not get a tune when he was there. Its easy, its efficient, and he had to do no work at all. I wish we had more to choose from localy, but we dont.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MidniteEco
Look at how many times Mikey has told us he found the "new best thing" only to change his mind again two weeks later. (Sorry Mike, had to )

It's OK. But when I did find the best thing people usually jumped on it. Became the norm. So I wanted to find something else that would be a little different, make my car more unique, plus it gives me the chance to voice my opinion on what works and what doesn't. Why do you think I have the blow-through set-up going on instead of an AEM? I thought that while I had the Motec it would be a good choice but the Motec is far more advanced than the AEM and no-one knows how to tune it anywhere near WI.

I do it to basically be different. Look at the motor mounts, tilton, TTP. Im the one who tried them out first and gave my opinions on them. Overall Im glad Scott is a part of this thread, he gives his input. How many times has AMS, Dynoflash, Buschur been on this thread? Lemme find out and I'll finish up this post
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

OK here's Pt 2.

OK Scott has 78+ posts. Jarrod has 56, davidbuschur has 2 (those posts were yelling at us if you remember), and Mark@AMS has 1.

So it's nice to have a parts source and a tuning source right here in our thread (c'mon Jestr). We have the 2nd biggest regional thread on this board and only 1 vendor posting reguraly. The numbers don't lie on who is able to give time for one small city in the US, but who wants to give time. I think Scott started posting in here before he had the Ecutek software so he was just slinging parts at the time. But things change and people evolve.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by dryad001
It's OK. But when I did find the best thing people usually jumped on it. Became the norm...
I wasn't knocking ya. Just pointing out that your a good example of someone that is actually trying a lot of the various options, especially when it comes to tuning.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dryad001
davidbuschur has 2 (those posts were yelling at us if you remember)
LMAO! Thats when we all found out about the Warrtalon packages
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Yup, did that also. I first had a Dynoflash which I didn't notice when he first came to AMS. Umm, then I had the UTEC, did it myself with decent results, then the maftpro... tried to do it myself then had Jestr remap the car earlier this year, then back to UTEC which took a dump on me, and now Im back with a Jestr tune. And soon I will be going with a blowthrough tuned by Jestr.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nez136
LMAO! Thats when we all found out about the Warrtalon packages

Ahh, Ill have to make a best of or a timeline of the mil chat thread
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Rez, you got pm'ed

Quick Reply: Milwaukee - America's Drunkest Evo Owners