Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Milwaukee - America's Drunkest Evo Owners

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I just wasted a lot of time reading all of this and here was my original point.

Scott, you are a good tuner. I know this from the multiple positive posts you have. I also think you give good service and I was treated well with the cam purchase.

The AMS tune is what I wanted to do. I was sick of trying to do logging runs all around Cop-ville here and I don't want a ticket. There price is good for the intellectual property/expertise that you are really buying from them.

Your price is also very good, and I am genuinely happy that Jason and Pete's cars are running and performing well.

Here is what I don't like. I come into my nice local thread to let the guys know what I'm having done to the car cause I'm excited and you know what I get?....970000000000000000 f ucking messages and posts from you about how I shouldn't go to AMS, I should but a cheap set of cams, and have a flash from you. Everyone has their opinions and most of them won't change but I like to try and take all options in and evaluate them.

So, I looked at my options, decided, and still got crap about it. If I came into your florida thread and told you to shove a stick up your @ss would you do it cause that's what I told you to do? Of course not but I would still respect your decision and not be a b|tch about it.

BTW, I know A-nother tuner that quotes big "number of tunes" and "number of positive posts". He's awesome

Last edited by laakness; Oct 18, 2006 at 12:25 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by laakness
Ok, I just wasted a lot of time reading all of this and here was my original point.

Scott, you are a good tuner. I know this from the multiple positive posts you have. I also think you give good service and I was treated well with the cam purchase.

The AMS tune is what I wanted to do. I was sick of trying to do logging runs all around Cop-ville here and I don't want a ticket. There price is good for the ntellectual property/expertise that you are really buying from them.

Your price is also very good, and I am genuinely happy that Jason and Pete's cars are running and performing well.

Here is what I don't like. I come into my nice local thread to let the guys know what I'm having done to the car cause I'm excited and you know what I get?....970000000000000000 f ucking messages and posts from you about how I shouldn't go to AMS, I should but a cheap set of cams, and have a flash from you. Everyone has their opinions and most of them won't change but I like to try and take all options in and evaluate them.

So, I looked at my options, decided, and still got crap about it. If I came into your florida thread and told you to shove a stick up your @ss would you do it cause that's what I told you to do? Of course not but I would still respect your decision and not be a b|tch about it.

BTW, I know A-nother tuner that quotes big "number of tunes" and "number of positive posts". He's awesome
Many good points!!!
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice post mike
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Price of dyno tune - ~500
Price of road tune - ~300 + chance of ticket + chance of killing someone

Those chances aren't extremely high, but at least when I'm on the highway and jump on the gas I'm not paying to do it
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

hey mike, I think I'd go to AMS too if I wanted to have it just done and over with. That is an awesome option and is great cause you get to let them just do everything for you. I appreciate that decision and am glad you are happy with the results, nice results BTW. I'm making my decision to go with scott, not just to save money, but because I'd like to learn a little about the tuning process and it will involve me more than just dropping it off. I hope I don't receive the same amount of criticism that you did for opting this route. That is why we get to make the decisions for ourselves, to do what best suits what we want from the car and the experience.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Honestly, if I were getting tuned I would probably do the Jestr or TTP route... But there are definate advantages to going to somewhere like AMS.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Those chances aren't extremely high, but at least when I'm on the highway and jump on the gas I'm not paying to do it
Its kind of like banging random hot chicks you meet at the bar, sure its good at the time, but the chances of waking up with HIV, Herpes, "the clap", or just having a kid are pretty good Stick with the ones you know!

Trust me tom, learning to tune is great, but it gets really old after a while! Im sure you wont get criticized on this forum b/c of the amount of brown nosers we have on here
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Ryan Nezbit is my hero
Old Oct 18, 2006, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by r3z0nate
Ryan Nezbit is my hero
LMAO!!

Edit*fyi, last name is spelt wrong
Old Oct 18, 2006, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

I know
Old Oct 18, 2006, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by dryad001
Good post Nez but I have some problems with some of the things you and Mike think. You both said that using the remote tuning method is that you as the consumer does most of the work... really? So what. I think if I had it done this way I would want to be a part of the tuning process actully try and find out how the tuner builds the maps and look at what they are doing. When my car was on the dyno I tried to ask questions but didn't want to bother John but since then I have asked numerous questions almost on a daily basis trying to figure out the cause and effect of certain tuning theories.

I like to look at it as a learning experiance, heck if something somehow goes wrong or starts knocking for some unseen reason down the line, you might have the ability to do it yourself instead of waiting for an e-mail.

Now some people think that road tuning is better and some think that dyno tuning is better, well I guess its up to the individual. Dyno tuning in my mind will get the car damn close to whats expected. Road tuning will fine tune the map with a little tweaking here and there. Plus a dyno tune doesnt figure in coefficent drag, road conditions, etc.

Just my $.02
unless the fans in front of your car are moving the air at 100+ mph the dyno is not a exacty test. We can argue about dyno testing vs road testing until we are all dead, the entire automotive industry has been arguing this point for to many years alreaady. Dyno numbers are for reference only, i made 300 hp oo look new turbo and meth now i made 400 hp. thats what a dyno is for. The other big advantage to a dyno is you don't have to go out on the street and do 4th gear pulls to 120+ mph, and with the load dyno's the offer great diagnostic abilities since you can run cars at a specific load to find driveability problems. Street tuning is a true test of what the car will do a specfic day, you have more piece of the puzzle in play on the street, the downforce the wing creates steals horsepower at higher speeds, the higher wind resistance....etc etc i can keep going but no one here will ever run there car to the point were it will actually matters, at the end of the day we all have daily driven cars that we like to play with. So both methods of tuning are good options, Personally I went with TTP and could not be happier, my car makes great power.
end rant
Old Oct 18, 2006, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Yeti
unless the fans in front of your car are moving the air at 100+ mph the dyno is not a exacty test. We can argue about dyno testing vs road testing until we are all dead, the entire automotive industry has been arguing this point for to many years alreaady. Dyno numbers are for reference only, i made 300 hp oo look new turbo and meth now i made 400 hp. thats what a dyno is for. The other big advantage to a dyno is you don't have to go out on the street and do 4th gear pulls to 120+ mph, and with the load dyno's the offer great diagnostic abilities since you can run cars at a specific load to find driveability problems. Street tuning is a true test of what the car will do a specfic day, you have more piece of the puzzle in play on the street, the downforce the wing creates steals horsepower at higher speeds, the higher wind resistance....etc etc i can keep going but no one here will ever run there car to the point were it will actually matters, at the end of the day we all have daily driven cars that we like to play with. So both methods of tuning are good options, Personally I went with TTP and could not be happier, my car makes great power.
end rant
Said very well...and all of it is right on.

Scott, the only reason I got fired up earlier is because Silk was being nagged by you the same way I was. He said he wanted to go to AMS and you pounced..as usual. I have no beef with you, only some of your posts is all.

Tom, if you are looking to learn about tuning, doing logging runs and having some one tune it for you isn't the way. What Nick is doing is learning how I would if I were to attack it. Drive, adjust, drive, adjust, ask questions, drive, adjust. I'm glad you are making your own decision to go with TTP, like I've said in the past...I can't comment on something I haven't tried so I can't bag on his tune...and never have...just your reasoning for learning doesn't make that much sense to me. Stick to your guns man, go with his tune and love it...you don't have to justify it to me or anyone
Old Oct 18, 2006, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Yeti
the downforce the wing creates steals horsepower at higher speeds, the higher wind resistance....
This isn't entirely true. The higher resistance doesn't steal horsepower, just increases resistance, load, and the amount of horsepower required to accelerate at a given rate. This can theoretically be simulated on a load bearing dyno. I beleive a lot of them can be setup to simulate this.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

well, I may not be willing to go all out and by the wideband and all the other goodies to go tune myself, nor do I have the time to properly learn the methods that are required to tune my car myself with the help of others. I do however, have the time to do the logging runs, look at the data, look at what was changed and get a feel for what is being changed and why. I wasn't trying to justify, just thought I share why I chose to do what I am doing, but oh well. Guess I jumped of the deep end on this one.

I don't wanna be a car tuner, I am an IT guy, and that's where intend to stay, however it'd be nice to have a bit of understanding as to what is changing and why in my MAP. that's it, plain and simple.

cya all at Bdubs tonight.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 01:53 PM

I don't mean no harm, but if you think about it. If you're worrying about killing someone or something anywhere, I wouldn't modify the car or even add any more power to that killing machine that you have already. If you think about it, there is a chance of killing someone everytime you get on the gas pedal. Now with the tune from AMS you just increase the chance of killing someone. Shame on you.

Quick Reply: Milwaukee - America's Drunkest Evo Owners