Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Milwaukee - America's Drunkest Evo Owners

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2006, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Carole and I just hate the cold.....

I dont mind a little snow every now and then but I just hate 8 months of cold. I guess winter wouldn't be soo bad if I could get a kick *** snowmobile and enjoy the season but we dont even get enough snow to make winter sports worth while. I was stationed in San Diego for a few years and that was just fricken awesome. I didn't miss the seasons at all. Of course that was back when I was 24 and rolling with fat cash a ****load of buddies....but still.....That's kinda what I'm looking for without the high cost of living.

The ****s of it is I get paid pretty good here for what I do. I am not in the least bit overworked or stressed out. I love my house and its location in relation to work and such.....I have a big yard for my two boxers......There's virtually no crime and the cost of living is fairly low. I'm not sure you can put a price on those things.

I told my parents I was considering moving and they thought I was insane to give up what I have here. I can see their point. I often wonder if I'd be any happier someplace else. I mean sure it would be warm in Nashville, but then there's the crime issue, the traffic issues, the cost of living, the making of all new friends, the separation from family, ect..... I'm pretty sure I could deal but I'm not so sure the woman could. I would hate to make the move only to find out Carole is going to bug out and want to move back. As you know there's always some kind of drama to deal with when women are concerned.

I'm going to tough it out till spring and then make up my mind.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SASD209
Enough. This little 'back and forth' is done. Move on please.

And I thought Firenuts was going to throw the kabash on this.

Me and Scott squashed everything in 24:46 of talking on AIM.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did any of you tech guys read any books for your knowledge? I know several people that went about getting certified this way but the books seem hit or miss, as far as developing goes.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Carole and I just hate the cold.....

I dont mind a little snow every now and then but I just hate 8 months of cold. I guess winter wouldn't be soo bad if I could get a kick *** snowmobile and enjoy the season but we dont even get enough snow to make winter sports worth while. I was stationed in San Diego for a few years and that was just fricken awesome. I didn't miss the seasons at all. Of course that was back when I was 24 and rolling with fat cash a ****load of buddies....but still.....That's kinda what I'm looking for without the high cost of living.

The ****s of it is I get paid pretty good here for what I do. I am not in the least bit overworked or stressed out. I love my house and its location in relation to work and such.....I have a big yard for my two boxers......There's virtually no crime and the cost of living is fairly low. I'm not sure you can put a price on those things.

I told my parents I was considering moving and they thought I was insane to give up what I have here. I can see their point. I often wonder if I'd be any happier someplace else. I mean sure it would be warm in Nashville, but then there's the crime issue, the traffic issues, the cost of living, the making of all new friends, the separation from family, ect..... I'm pretty sure I could deal but I'm not so sure the woman could. I would hate to make the move only to find out Carole is going to bug out and want to move back. As you know there's always some kind of drama to deal with when women are concerned.

I'm going to tough it out till spring and then make up my mind.

Trust me. I know exactly where your coming from.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by r3z0nate
Did any of you tech guys read any books for your knowledge? I know several people that went about getting certified this way but the books seem hit or miss, as far as developing goes.
I actually went to school for it, then once I graduated I started learning how to develop on the job.

Reading books is not going to teach you much, coming up with a useful project to do in your spare time and reading the books as you go through that will teach you a lot more. But really all that lets you know is that you got it to work, not that you wrote it in the best way.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 02:48 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by dryad001
And I thought Firenuts was going to throw the kabash on this.

Me and Scott squashed everything in 24:46 of talking on AIM.

Actually, I took the hockey game fight approach... just let em fight it out... it's more entertaining that way.

Besides, it's a LOT more calm than some of the previous fights/comments made on this thread. Actually suprised it was even reported.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by r3z0nate
I'm not a developer, but it's amazing what you learn from books. (I hate reading.)

When it comes to certifications, the best people for the job get them. The best of the best have the experience to back it up.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 03:00 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fireball
Actually, I took the hockey game fight approach... just let em fight it out... it's more entertaining that way.

Besides, it's a LOT more calm than some of the previous fights/comments made on this thread. Actually suprised it was even reported.
I am on thin ice and definately do not need a non-worthy reported post sent to the mods over someone having a bad day. Save that button for when its actually justified.

It seems being Warrtalon's Kryptonite has taken its toll over the last 2 years and mods are tired of dealing with the reported post button.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Right, I have several projects I would like to either start learning ASP on or updating our current software to PHP5 using mostly objects. I figured I might as well move to windows since thats the only area you can make money in.

Originally Posted by the-moss
I actually went to school for it, then once I graduated I started learning how to develop on the job.

Reading books is not going to teach you much, coming up with a useful project to do in your spare time and reading the books as you go through that will teach you a lot more. But really all that lets you know is that you got it to work, not that you wrote it in the best way.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bolsen
When it comes to certifications, the best people for the job get them. The best of the best have the experience to back it up.
I would disagree with that. I the best developers I have worked with have not been certified in anything, and the most egotistical (but bad) ones have. I would take experience over certifications in most candidates.

Oh yeah, I'm not certified in anything so that might account for a little bias.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

I would disagree with that. I the best developers I have worked with have not been certified in anything, and the most egotistical (but bad) ones have. I would take experience over certifications in most candidates.

I'm with you moss. I put about as much value in most certs as I do BOV's for noise purposes
Old Nov 20, 2006, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

I think certificates and even a degree can be overcome with experience. I know its hard to get experience without either but it can be done, and you still won't make as much. I really don't want to go back to school but probibly will, it's just hard giving up what I'm making now to go to school for 4-6years just to come out and make less than I did before hand.

I know a handful of people that went to college for something else and/or just picked up books to learn how to develop, and school never was for me.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

I understand what you are talking about, but when you're applying for a new job, who looks better to the guy up in HR? The guy with certs or the guy that "knows his stuff.?" More so, say the other guy has as much experience as you... but he's got the certs... who do you htink they're going to hire?

Or, how about this example... say you're looking to get a consultant in for some help on a project. Are you going to hire the guy with certs in the field you're looking to get help in or are you going to take someones word for it and take the other guy?

This same argument could be made about college degrees. I might know a lot more than another guy, but because I don't have the college degree I'm not eligible for a lot of jobs.

Oh, and btw, I've got some initials after my name, but I never tell them about it.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

So Dr. bolsen are you actually going to come out for a night when I get back in town?
Old Nov 20, 2006, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

I'll be there!!?!?!

I've been missing my mikey

Quick Reply: Milwaukee - America's Drunkest Evo Owners