Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Milwaukee - America's Drunkest Evo Owners

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2007, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RED DEMON
anytime i boost over 1psi in snow all 4 wheels start spinning. winter ROAD driving is usually under 5psi-it sucks.

Welcome to my life year round.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
someone find me a EVO 9 SE for cheap~!
Haha, you should remember AMS's sign they have by their cash register:

Fast
Cheap
Quality

"You can only pick 2"
Old Dec 7, 2007, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

^^^^^Agreed
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Haven't posted here in a while

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SR20D...QQcmdZViewItem

Does this look familiar?

Last time I saw this car run at SCCA I wasn't truly impressed but it looks like he might get a good amount for such a crappy car. Good parts though.

Last edited by readrs13; Dec 7, 2007 at 10:45 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

found a black EVO 9 SE with under 10k for $28.5

The issue i have, is that even if the one i am looking to buy is low price, that means my car will be low also.

if i find a evo thats higher price i can STILL look at it, because if the evo9 used is a high price than my car should yield a higher trade value!
assuming the dealer is logical, which not all are!

Im just saying that it ALL come down to the trade difference. A dealer may have a evo9 SE with 5k on it for 31k and even though the price is STEEP, if they give me a good trade value for mine, the difference in upgrading is the only factor

I think u guys get what im saying but for the other styles of learning/understanding:

lets say dealer A has a evo 9 thats very cheap- 27k.......the problem with that is if the evo9 is that cheap, my car will be insanely low !
BUT that could still work to my advantage, if the price of the new minus the price of mine is within a certian range

Dealer B has a evo9 with 5k for say and insane price of 33k. I would still look at it- becuase if they have that price jacked up so far, maybe my car would have high trade in value also.

So im not ruling out very high priced evos, although the high priced ones usually the dealers are trying to make a few extra grand and wont factor in the the few extra grand for your trade

But others recognize that and act accordingly. From my experience in working at two dealerships and a wholesaler(metro)......it all depends on the MOOD of the manager, the DEMEANOR you come in with, HOW greedy the salesman wants to be, and especially WHICH appraisal book they use for trade value- like the black book or blue book (kelly blue book). Not to mention if they would run it thru the auction (wholesale). or if they would sell it on the lot. And also blind appraisals (usually done out of state or when distance is a factor) also have a big impact.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Well, if this snow keeps up I wont be able to make it to Denver to catch the flight back home. Snow started last night and is still going. So far we got 14 inches with a winter weather advisory that ends on Sunday at 6am.

Looks like its an Xbox day today.

FYI, big day in history. December 7, 1941 was Pearl Harbor.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:27 AM
Ink
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JUNKGSX
my heart bleeds eric!
i still have on bridgestone potenza re070, talk about near death experiences in snow
Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:29 AM
Ink
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dryad001
Well, if this snow keeps up I wont be able to make it to Denver to catch the flight back home. Snow started last night and is still going. So far we got 14 inches with a winter weather advisory that ends on Sunday at 6am.

Looks like its an Xbox day today.

FYI, big day in history. December 7, 1941 was Pearl Harbor.
Get some pics with a tape measure.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Jesus, if you guys are going to upgrade your cars every couple of years b/c of milage or want to upgrade b/c its a "better car" than you need to start leasing.

From a financial point of view, half of you shouldn't even own a $30k car let a alone buy a new one every couple of years. Its almost in the category of thinking with your dick and not your head....and nobody likes AIDS now do they

Last edited by Nez136; Dec 7, 2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Red, the whole thing is your choice...but you throwing numbers around and talking about deals/savings etc you are forgetting one number...the amount you still owe on your car. If you have it paid off then ignore what I have to say and congrats

Let's go through some numbers with these constants.

Evo 9 = 28.5k
Average APR on car loan = 5% (good credit).
Still owe 10k on car (just a number for fun).

Say you trade your car in for 20k...and that is very very generous even with mods. You then pay off your remaining balance and have 10k in hand with no car.

You now get the IX for $29.9k(5% sales tax) minus your 10k = 19.9k loan
19.9k 4-year loan at 5% APR = $22k loan at 458.28/month

So lets review. Customer 'xyz' has an Evo and 10k in debt. They will now have a little faster evo, be 22k in debt, and 4 more(at least) years of car payments.

Now obviously situations vary and the amounts do too, but with this example and your previous logic of "things will break on my car...I need to build a whole motor...raaaaaa!" you can't honestly think that your car will require 12k of maintenance in the next 4 years other than some freak accident or something you might cause to happen.

My whole point with this is you can't mix the logic of being smart and saving in with the logic of upgrading a car that isn't paid off.

Last edited by laakness; Dec 7, 2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Yea you have a very good point laak-
my car is paid offthough -i paid my parents monthly payments, instead of working with a bank-which worked perfectly because i had NO APR (parents were nice), and also whenever they wanted to give me gifts for my bday, Xmas, etc they had the possibility of just giving me a piece of paper saying in essence 'this is good for two month payments"; which they have done multiple times. And lastly there was the advantage of not ever having the risk of my credit being facked up - it was my parents!

i am damn indecisive about it.....the evo9 would be nice and its very tempting but it would require a LOT of messing around and BS. Taking off majority of my stock parts, having to get a stock map loaded up, and then driving 500 miles to dealer- and whos to say the evo i found is in good condition mechanically and all.

I dont know if i should trade it in......or take the money i would have used for the trade difference and put it towards a turbo kit/engine build and replace a few drivetrain parts that need it.

My car frankly just feels weak lately- like i said i think i may need new clutch discs- or maybe the throw out bearing is going out. Also the engagement hinge thing exedy uses may be messed up. Something feels off.

But when i tihnk about how little problems i have had with the car, and got the stock clutch to last to 47k, etc etc i feel i should keep it.
AND when i think about how much $ i have put into parts on the car, along with labor for install and tuning/dyno time at AMS-financially i should keep the car obviously (even if its paid off)

The numbers stock evo9s are putting down and the lower mileage are the most tempting things...And i LOVE the SE interior with the red stitching- but maybe thats cuz i have a red evo, not to mention the better condition (06 vs 03), the ACD, etc etc

Also i kinda want a black or white evo, my top two choices. Or possibly graphite grey or blue. I COULD always if i kept my car when i repaint it in the longrun repaint it one of those colors ...but idk if i would do a full repaint or leave the engine bay.

My best bet FINANCIALLY would be to keep it- wait a few years and then ALL IN ONE pull the engine do a engine swap or turbo upgrade, and while the engines out do a full repaint.

And then for the time i would probably put in a few evo9 parts- the ones that draw me to it the most and are not mechanical (get a ralliart LSD down the line, etc). SO if i kept my car, i would look at getting EVO 9 SE seats for my car, paint my steering wheel or get replacment black parts like evo9, and possibly the evo9 CF dash thingy.
The SE seats, black steering wheel, and dash would make me almost feel like i was riding in a evo9, hahah. and then year or so down the road the turbo kit and **** would make it faster than a 9!

PS- anyone know a good fender rolling place around here?

Last edited by RED DEMON; Dec 7, 2007 at 12:52 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Well ladies, I sold my car today and getting into a Infiniti g35X all wheel drive, loaded with navigation! I am going to miss the evo but I needed money and I cant see paying for a car that sits in a garage more than it is driven.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nez136
Jesus, if you guys are going to upgrade your cars every couple of years b/c of milage or want to upgrade b/c its a "better car" than you need to start leasing.

From a financial point of view, half of you shouldn't even own a $30k car let a alone buy a new one every couple of years. Its almost in the category of thinking with your dick and not your head....and nobody likes AIDS now do they

Thats the thing though i DONT usually keep it a short time, and i WANT to keep my evo for a long time....BUT the thought of upgrading it before i start to pile on even moreso milage is tempting.

EDIT
: I FORGOT ONE MAIN REASON WHY, I CONSIDER THE EVO IX THE LAST EVO...THE EVO X DOESNT DESERVE IT AND IN MY EYES ISNT AN EVO. The absense of the 4g63 makes me say that!

And 60k is getting up there, for a evo!

If you still had your 03 instead of your 05 , and especially if you didnt have the big turbo and stroker...youd know what im talking about!

Maybe ill let you drive mycar and feel - also not having ACD is not too fun here and CO. After you drive it i bet youll have a whole new love for your car, haha. But really thinking about it- i should get a turbo kit asap, if im complainng about power than that will solve it, and it will definately be a "better car"! All in all - 03 vs and 05 and especially a 03 vs an 06 , in both cases the LATER is "the better car". and frankly i want a better car! Its jus a matter if i want to make my current car into a better car or get whole new better car,

Last edited by RED DEMON; Dec 7, 2007 at 01:43 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Now i think i should have my car looked over mechanically and see exactly what condition it is in.
I know it the drivetrain and other components are in good condition- i just need to know how good- and see if there is any weak point in the chain from the engine to the wheels. I have had literally NO mechanical problems besides the clutch failure at like 47k which i cant complain about it. Besides the decreased power lately, and the rear diff binding up from the redline fluids a while back-mechanically its been amazingly strong-especially for the mileage.

If its in excellent condition i will end up keeping it for sure. If shes doing that well at 60k she deserves to be kept!
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Thats the thing though i DONT usually keep it a short time, and i WANT to keep my evo for a long time....BUT the thought of upgrading it before i start to pile on even moreso milage is tempting.

And 60k is getting up there, for a evo!

If you still had your 03 instead of your 05 , and especially if you didnt have the but turbo and stroker...youd know what im talking about!

Maybe ill let you drive mycar and feel - also not having ACD is not too fun here and CO. After you drive it i bet youll have a whole new love for your car, haha. But really thinking about it- i should get a turbo kit asap, if im complainng about power than that will solve it, and it will definately be a "better car"! All in all - 03 vs and 05 and especially a 03 vs an 06 , in both cases the LATER is "the better car". and frankly i want a better car! Its jus a matter if i want to make my current car into a better car or get whole new better car,
Get something other than an evo?

Quick Reply: Milwaukee - America's Drunkest Evo Owners