Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Milwaukee - America's Drunkest Evo Owners

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2008, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good meeting up with you guys again, hope to do it again soon.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
What were the numbers discussed? Do those cars sell at sticker or is there a nice chunk of negociating power?
We only discussed sticker and European delivery prices. I mentioned that I assumed the 335i price was a lot more negotiable than the 135i price and he agreed, that's as far as it got.

For similarly optioned cars the 135 was $5k cheaper than the 335, and European Delivery is $2k-$3k cheaper than US delivery.

If I end up doing anything there is a dealer down in IL that has a guy dedicated to european delivery orders. He's kinda like southcoast is for Evo's. Anyway, I talked to him late last year about the 335i. He said he just charges a flat fee of $1,500 over ED invoice for the 335i, which saves you roughly $5k off sticker. He didn't have the 135 pricing at that time, but if it's similar it makes the pretty much loaded 135i I priced cheaper than both the Evo X MR and the new STi.

I don't know if I'm getting old or what, but as much as I want to like the new Evo, and Ive been one of the more vocal defenders of it, I just don't like it as much as I used to. It's been over a week since I drove my IX, and I don't miss it really.

Maybe on May 25th the IX will go up for sale. The smart* thing to do would be to sell the evo, stick what I was paying on it into a savings account and then use that money and other savings for a nice down payment on a 2001-2005 996TT however, when it comes to my 2 year itch I'm rarely smart.

* I realize this isn't actually the smart thing to do, it's just smarter than what I usually do.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

nice alex, over the years i have seen more and more mitsubishi answer suby salesmen that have no idea about what they are talking about. id take a new bmw any day over the x!
Old Mar 27, 2008, 06:49 AM

I was looking at a 335xi few months ago, i still want one.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

What I can't get past is the lack of utility in a 135i. Engine & brakes are fantastic, interior too (coming from an evo), but the back seat is kinda worthless. Plus with no LSD it's a one-wheel-wonder. And, having some experience with servicing BMWs, maintenance is expensive, not that Evo upkeep is too much different. Just seems like ANY BMW part is expensive.

I like the Evo X, small trunk kinda sucks, but at least it can reasonably seat four. And after the winter we just had, AWD is a big plus, in addition to the performance benefits.

So, for similar money it's a tough call. Another intersting alternative I think is the forthcoming Pontiac GXP G8. LS3 w/6-speed, not bad. A little over 4000lbs though.

Bottom line is it's a nice problem to have so many options I guess.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lithe
What I can't get past is the lack of utility in a 135i. Engine & brakes are fantastic, interior too (coming from an evo), but the back seat is kinda worthless. Plus with no LSD it's a one-wheel-wonder. And, having some experience with servicing BMWs, maintenance is expensive, not that Evo upkeep is too much different. Just seems like ANY BMW part is expensive.

I like the Evo X, small trunk kinda sucks, but at least it can reasonably seat four. And after the winter we just had, AWD is a big plus, in addition to the performance benefits.

So, for similar money it's a tough call. Another intersting alternative I think is the forthcoming Pontiac GXP G8. LS3 w/6-speed, not bad. A little over 4000lbs though.

Bottom line is it's a nice problem to have so many options I guess.
Holy crap, who is this?

I agree, on the utility thing, the back seat is for insurance purposes only. But it folds down and it has been proven that you can fit 4 tires into it so that's all the utility I need.

As far as the LSD goes it does have an LSD, it's just not a mechanical one. It has little brakes inside the diff that it can use to transfer torque. An old honda tech I know said the diagram of it looked remarkably like the old SH diffs. I don't know this, but I would guess the Evo X uses a similar system for the AYC.

Not a fan of the G8. I really don't have time to get my CDL to be able to drive that car. It's a shame because I loved the old GTO.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Alex..... would continue to track the BMW?

Funny how you like to buy new cars. You could own two really nice cars if you purchased them sightly used. Keep your 9 and find a decent slightly used BMW.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont even know where a BMW dealer is near me. I dont think Ive seen a BMW out here yet.

I kinda agree with Alex is I havent driven my car since last year and don't really miss it either. Its a impractical vehicle here, but as many times as Ive said Im going to sell it I might as well just keep it. Which brings me to another thing, the car is free of snow, Ill be working on the ice today and possibly put the engine and turbo back in.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Alex..... would continue to track the BMW?

Funny how you like to buy new cars. You could own two really nice cars if you purchased them sightly used. Keep your 9 and find a decent slightly used BMW.
Totally would track the BMW. I think I would track a kia if it was all I had available.

You're right, slightly used is totally the way to go. As I said before though I'm not exactly smart when it comes to this. Hell none of us are because we all own Evo's.

I'm not planning on doing anything right now, and I have a feeling that I will love the Evo again after May 24th.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

I didn't know the back seat folded down. According to new C&D it only has a trunk pass-through with the cold weather package.

You could just get a roof rack for your wheels though. I've seen some guy with a 911 do it that way around town here.

I forgot about the eLSD. Does that really work? I guess it must. Must be hard on the rear brakes though. The 135i brakes are incredible...six piston fronts!

I don't know what CDL means...
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Interesting.. I wonder if the cold weather package deletes the folding down seats.... I can't imagine it does.

From the diagram I saw it looks like the eLSD doesn't have use the brakes on the wheels, it uses little brakes that are contained inside the rear diff. I have no idea how well it works, but it is an interesting concept.

Last edited by the-moss; Mar 27, 2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by the-moss
From the diagram I saw it looks like the eLSD doesn't have use the brakes on the wheels, it uses little brakes that are contained inside the rear diff. I have no idea how well it works, but it is an interesting concept.

That technology has been around since WWI. Now if memory serves the brake is on the pinion or in line with it and it bascially works like a normal brake but with less pressure so your carrier or ring gear doesn't get sheared off.

Rockwell axles have this concept and the military uses it on all of their vehicles 2.5 tons and over.

Although I could be wrong and its set-up like an older Jaguar IRS suspension, but inboard of the diff housing.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I really don't know how you guys can't miss your EVOs. This was the first month I've had mine out since November and it feels great. With the cooler air the car is the fastest its ever been. I love walking out to the parking lot after work and seeing this beautiful machine sitting there begging to stretch its legs. I live about a mile from work but I put on about 10 on the way to and on the way home simply because its so damn fun to drive.

I think some people kill the spirit of the EVO by modding them all to hell making them no fun to daily drive on the street. That or they don't uncork the exhaust and suffer from lack of performance.

My car is pretty quiet, has a very smooth ride, instantly spools but still runs 11s. I wouldn't be able to find a replacement that can touch that for $25k.

Also ..... the 10 hasn't really evolved much from previous versions. Check out the pic below.

I wouldn't mind getting one but it would cost a fortune to get it the way I would want it to look inside and out. I loved the 9 and first sight!

Last edited by Jeff_Jeske; Mar 27, 2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Not missing it has nothing to do with performance. The car is plenty fast. In fact it feels faster now when I do drive it than when I was driving it every day.

It's just at no point while it has been sitting in my garage have I thought - Man I wish I had the Evo right now.

Part of it I'm sure is that my last 6 primary cars have been AWD, the last 4 have been AWD turbos. I kinda want something different (like a 996TT ).
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:22 AM
Ink
Evolving Member

What does a used 996TT run?

Quick Reply: Milwaukee - America's Drunkest Evo Owners