Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Milwaukee - America's Drunkest Evo Owners

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2009, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well Pete, I'm sad to report that the next time you are "back home" you won't be able to visit my website.

I've blocked the panda land completely in my firewall. They are clogging up my intrusion attempt logs with all those chickens and egg rolls
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
results.

Old Mar 17, 2009, 05:40 AM

That's a nice increase. I'm sure you'll see another jump with the cams.
I dunno about that boost taper - especially with a MBC. I wonder if maybe that downpipe doesn't flow well because of the way it lines up to the hotside???
Nez may have some more comments - he has looked into it more.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

those are good numbers, should be a blast to drive! with a new wastegate and increased head flow you will eliminate most of the boost taper. a turbo will only put so much air into a motor... cams will make a big difference!
Old Mar 17, 2009, 08:48 AM

Where is everyboby today?
Old Mar 17, 2009, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MidniteEco
I dunno about that boost taper - especially with a MBC. I wonder if maybe that downpipe doesn't flow well because of the way it lines up to the hotside???
Nez may have some more comments - he has looked into it more.
I'm very happy with the power running up through the gears, but something feels not quite right on the highway (surge) I've also noticed that the throttle is hanging a bit, and it started idling high 1200-1500RPM when I pulled in last night. I shut it off and restarted and it went down, but not back to normal.

What did you notice weird about the DP? I've heard of someone making 16whp just adding it to the stock exhaust. Compared to ETS though, the pipes come together pretty close to the turbo.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

does it surge when you are WOT at a low RPM on the hwy? or is it partial throttle?
Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tractionlimit
I'm very happy with the power running up through the gears, but something feels not quite right on the highway (surge) I've also noticed that the throttle is hanging a bit, and it started idling high 1200-1500RPM when I pulled in last night. I shut it off and restarted and it went down, but not back to normal.

What did you notice weird about the DP? I've heard of someone making 16whp just adding it to the stock exhaust. Compared to ETS though, the pipes come together pretty close to the turbo.
Did you check that all the vacuum lines are still connected (to the wastegate, the boost controller, etc.)? That's all right on top on the X, so it should be easy to check.

For the DP - take a look at the hotside on the old turbo and try to remember what the DP looks like. The two pipes on the DP don't match the shape of the outlets from the hotside. I'm wondering if it's causing turbulence which would then hinder airflow.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nez136
does it surge when you are WOT at a low RPM on the hwy? or is it partial throttle?
It happens at WOT or close to WOT at around 4000rpm (80mph) in 5th and even sometimes downshifting into 4th.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MidniteEco
Did you check that all the vacuum lines are still connected (to the wastegate, the boost controller, etc.)? That's all right on top on the X, so it should be easy to check.

For the DP - take a look at the hotside on the old turbo and try to remember what the DP looks like. The two pipes on the DP don't match the shape of the outlets from the hotside. I'm wondering if it's causing turbulence which would then hinder airflow.
I'll take a closer look at all that. I'm wondering if the large amount of porting that was done on the turbo housing might actually hinder it on pump, or if the porting may have caused the mismatch you're refering to.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

surging can happen when your putting a lot of load on the car at a low rpm (usually in higher gears), it happens bc the motor simply cant take the air that is being thrown at it. my car does it in 5th gear at like 2500 rpms.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tractionlimit
I'll take a closer look at all that. I'm wondering if the large amount of porting that was done on the turbo housing might actually hinder it on pump, or if the porting may have caused the mismatch you're refering to.
The mismatch would occur either way because the pipes are round and the outlets are odd trapezoid-type openings.
The stock housing doesn't match at all - it's just a huge opening over the whole thing, which would also cause turbulence because that drastically slows the flow of the gas (just like when a river widens and slows down).

I would think the best design would be something that is made to match up perfect to the outlets (would obviously have to be different if they were ported) and smoothly morphs to the round pipe(s) after that. That would result in the smoothest exhaust gas flow.

In any case - I don't want to jump to conclusions because I'm not sure just how different the openings are (wasn't thinking of it anymore by the time I got to matching them up). That's one reason I think it may be a good idea to take photos.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:13 AM

Alright, this is depressing... where is everybody???
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:59 AM

I'm busy working. I'm so happy
Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

Wings tomorrow night will be packed with the tournament & all...

Who do you guys have in your final four?

Quick Reply: Milwaukee - America's Drunkest Evo Owners