Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Milwaukee - America's Drunkest Evo Owners

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2010, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the bounce: I was thinking rear struts are bad, even befroe I got to the point where you said one was leaking. Definitely get the rear struts fixed. The rear sway bar will help with roll, but I would make the struts a priority.

Your front clunk: I've always found it a real PITA to track those down, especially for the type of symptom you're seeing (slow, sharp cornering). But that Energy Suspension kit should have replacements for a bunch of the joints, so maybe putting that it will fit the problem. If you're doing the work of the bushing kit, you may want to also get a roll-center kit since you have the car lowered. It's not too $$$ and you'll already have everything apart for the bushing kit. The kit could already include those parts, but from the Energy Suspension web site it doesn't sound like it.

For the dropping revs when stopping: I agree 100% with Dryad.

For autocross: If it were my car, I would take it out to autocross anyway (Oh wait, I do and I haven't fixed my clunk or my boost leak yet ). I think it would be a good idea to bring it out a few times before getting the extra parts installed, etc. If I were you, I'd even race it on the stock suspension while your other is being repaired. Clunks and whatnot aren't going to be a problem for tech inspection. Just keep in mind the car may not handle as well as it could. And I don't think you'll notice your real wheel bounce problem too much at Miller Park as it's a pretty smooth parking lot.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 06:52 AM

I agree with Mike, sway bar will definitely help with the hop issue. Also the rear coilovers may be setup for track and be to firm causing it to hop.

Also the stock MR BOV is good if your not planning on boosting a lot. MidniteEco here has one if you wanted to get one. I had issues with HKS BOV in mine, because I either had to be on or off with the trottle or the engine will bogg and some idle issues. So I switched back to stock.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 06:54 AM

Oh yeah... If you're in the Milwaukee metro area, you should stop out at Hooters on Bluemound at 8:00 or so on Thursdays. We usually have a small group meeting up.

I was also going to mention the Shawano lapping day this Sunday, but I see TractionLimit beat me to it.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 06:57 AM

I knew Nick worked with PITA, just hope I don't see you in any of their ads. hahahaa
Old Jun 16, 2010, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by LAo_pRiNCe
I agree with Mike, sway bar will definitely help with the hop issue. Also the rear coilovers may be setup for track and be to firm causing it to hop.

Also the stock MR BOV is good if your not planning on boosting a lot. MidniteEco here has one if you wanted to get one. I had issues with HKS BOV in mine, because I either had to be on or off with the trottle or the engine will bogg and some idle issues. So I switched back to stock.
Are you trying to sell the parts right off my car now??? Just cuz the car is sitting in my garage doesn't mean you can part it out.

Also, as LAo_pRiNCe can attest to: it helps to install your IX valve in the proper direction. hehehe

But yes, the IX valve works very nicely for me and I'm also tuned to 24psi
Old Jun 16, 2010, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im still trying to make it out to Hooters....ignition problems are becoming a PITA. Im on my 3rd CPS in less then 1000 miles. Anyone have some stock coils laying around? Im wondering if the COP setup is causing the sensor to fail/erratic behavior.

Im tuned for 24psi as well... god damn small injectors.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 07:06 AM

I have some stock coils here - the hard part will be meeting up. I could bring them to Hooters.

Speaking of which.... Nez: I still owe you for those coils.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by hitman28
always see a silver wingless 9 w/ cf hood driving up layton. im the guy in the loud *** rr w/ jdm rear. wave back next time lol
ha thats me its a 8 wth a 9 bumper..not on here to much..im alwys with andrew i know he buy n some parts from you!
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:54 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I will get those coilovers out ASAP and figure out the plumbing so I can recirc that HKS BOV. I will stop on a Thursday sometime although I am not sure when as I have softball that night . I am not sure I want to install the RSB until I know how the car feels on an auto-x. I want to think the hopping in the rear is because of the leaking coilover. Anyone know who I should send the Ohlins to for repair, anyone have any xp with vendors? Can anyone take a stab at possible cost, I know this probably is based alot on what is wrong. When I go back to stock suspension I will probably need an alignment, eh?

I still have the wing and work downtown by Water St.. I live by Miller brewery .
Old Jun 16, 2010, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

^ I would agree with whoever said to wait on the RSB (or any new mods) until the existing suspension is sorted out. You don't want to use mods to mask an underlying problem with the car. Going back to stock suspension, yes, you should get an alignment.

If I were you, I'd bring it to Shawano as is and see how it handles. AutoX is 60 seconds of adrenaline, and IMO is harder to use to gauge a car's handling than a 15 minute session. There is also no need to launch, so wheel hop won't be a big issue there.

Last edited by Tractionlimit; Jun 17, 2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jhutterer
Thanks for all the responses. I will get those coilovers out ASAP and figure out the plumbing so I can recirc that HKS BOV. I will stop on a Thursday sometime although I am not sure when as I have softball that night . I am not sure I want to install the RSB until I know how the car feels on an auto-x. I want to think the hopping in the rear is because of the leaking coilover. Anyone know who I should send the Ohlins to for repair, anyone have any xp with vendors? Can anyone take a stab at possible cost, I know this probably is based alot on what is wrong. When I go back to stock suspension I will probably need an alignment, eh?

I still have the wing and work downtown by Water St.. I live by Miller brewery .
i recently just put in stock kyb's and lowering springs because i blew my front passenger coilover. i was contemplating on rebuilding the coils but milwaukee streets aren't the greatest so i stuck with stock suspension and lowering springs. got an alignment done and car feels great. i'd recommend getting lowering springs on stock kyb's for daily driving. as far as rebuilding coils go, i got a quote from jic and mueller. from mueller i need two front springs which would run me 160 bux. rebuilding the two front coils from jic they quoted me 180 each. who knows what else is wrong with it. my passenger front coil leaked all the oil out. it was really blown and clunking real bad. i'm very happy with the stockers and lowering springs.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 03:58 AM

just gonna add my 2 cents about the hks bov by saying that it sucks! i had the hks bov + pipe kit for evo and first of all it stalled constantly. i went and bought the idle stabilizer that hks makes cause it was "guaranteed" to help the stallouts. it didn't help at all. than i finally did full recirculation because it was also supposed to help. all of this did nothing and i finally got rid of the hks bov and pipe and went and forked out a little over $300 for the turbosmart dualport bov which i must say is the best thing that i have done yet. it never stalls, can do voa, 50/50, or full re-circ (i do full recirc cause it seems to spool a bit faster) and is so easy to maintain. it took 10 mins to install too. it is noticeably loud though so be forwarned. hks bov is freaking garbage
Old Jun 17, 2010, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MidniteEco
I have some stock coils here - the hard part will be meeting up. I could bring them to Hooters.

Speaking of which.... Nez: I still owe you for those coils.
Found the problem, I won't need the coils. The harness for the COP is bad, I found 3 broken wires leading to the + side of coil, im sure thats whats giving me my misfire under boost.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:52 AM

hey guys im looking for someone or some place to get my fenders rolled any one know were i can get this done?!?
thanks
Old Jun 17, 2010, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

^project x in glenview, il can hook it up. pm me if interested, they do amazing work

Quick Reply: Milwaukee - America's Drunkest Evo Owners