Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Milwaukee - America's Drunkest Evo Owners

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2010, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi
Old Aug 25, 2010, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by MidniteEco
Are you talking about the front bolt (the horizontal one) or the back bolt (the vertical one)?

And did it actually unscrew from the threads and get stuck in the bushing, or did it break off, leaving part of the bolt still in the threads?
Its the horizontal bolt. The bolt spins completely I even drilled a small hole in the subframe to see the other end of the bolt and its rotating, so it seems the threads are stripped and its frozen to the bushing sleeve.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:35 AM

It sounds like the threads are screwed. You may be best-off planning to replace the bushings, then cut the bolt using the small gaps between the control arm and the subframe on each side of the rubber bushing.

Then you'll have to figure out how to get the remainder out of the subframe threads - it probably won't fall out, but you may be able to knock it out with a hammer and a punch (probably from the back side through the hole you drilled). Or just drill the piece of bolt out.

And once that's all done, there is the issue of the f'd up threads. I guess it depends how bad they are and whether there is a way to repair them. Usually they weld a nut to the sheet metal - so maybe there's a way to get in there and cut out to old nut to weld a new one in its place. It would really suck to have to replace the whole subframe.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:54 AM

Yep I do plan on repairing the bushings in fact already burned one of them out.. Now I just have to figure out how to cut out the bolt. I can't use a normal round grinder cutting wheel, has to be a reciprocating saw with a thin blade. As for the threads I am going to use heli-coils to replace the threads. I think this all happened because they used lock-tite on the threads and I didn't heat it enough. Blah love Wisconsin!
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:13 AM

I always forget about heli-coils... don't know why.

Yea, that joint is kinda wrapped by the subframe so there's not much room to cut in there - even a reciprocating saw will be tough.

Good luck to you!
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

morning fochers!
Old Aug 27, 2010, 06:21 AM

Wow, you're still around?
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

whos the guy with the gg wingless evo with jdm rear? everytime i pass the greenfield exit hes coming on the freeway. car looks nice. i was the guy in the rr 9 w/ carbon hood and trunk.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:25 PM

He's not on here much any more, but his name is Erik. He's a tatoo artist at Sacred Skin on 95th & Greenfield.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yikes, dead in here lately.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:52 AM

Anyone know where I could get my transfer case re done or where I could purchase a used but decent condition one? Mine is fine but looking to put in stage 3 exedy so figure of replace 63k mile transfer case while I'm at it
Old Sep 1, 2010, 06:25 AM

The transfer case is rather expensive to replace just for the hell of it - especially at 63k miles. Mine has 110k on it.
And there's not much benefit to doing it when you do the clutch - you don't need to move the tranny to remove the tcase. It only takes about an hour to rip out the tcase by itself.

Rebuilds: http://www.sheptrans.com/transcase/evo.htm or http://www.teamrip.com/EVO_TRANSFER_CASE_SERVICES.html
New Tcases: http://www.teamrip.com/NEW%20EVO%208...R%20CASES.html
Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

I would go with a shep rebuild. I think Strictly modified does them as well and they are about an hour away. Might want to give them a call and save a few bucks with shipping.

I have both the trans and t-case done by shep and I beat the hell out of those things.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 07:11 PM

I write a lot.... Sorry

So I've been perusing some of the 2,600 pages of posts that I missed out on before I signed up on here, and I've come to the conclusion that going to college sucks. The way I see it, who needs an education when you have an Evo that deserves all of that money? Farkin' tuition increases.... Sorry about the venting, but I feel better now .

Anyways, on a relevant topic, I wanted to run something by you guys. I'm looking at getting a Megan TBE, TurboSmart electronic boost controller, Injen intake, and solid upper and lower intercooler piping. I've searched on here for everyone's thoughts on these products, but I get a million different opinions and two million people saying that something else is the best thing out there. Can anyone please help me get this straight? Or am I an idiot for looking into these mods right away? Only thing done is an HKS BOV (and I've read that that's not a very well-liked BOV in this area ha ha ). Thanks!
Old Sep 2, 2010, 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

Your car will love you much more without the BOV.

Quick Reply: Milwaukee - America's Drunkest Evo Owners