Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Milwaukee - America's Drunkest Evo Owners

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2011, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Company

Anyone looking or know of someone who is looking to buy an 05 WW Evo VIII? I just got engaged and need money for a wedding/house. 65k miles, no mods. Looking for either straight cash or trade for something small but 4 door plus at least $11k, so any sort of 150,000 mile Civic would be considered haha.
Hey congrats on on the engagement man! An unmodded WW '05 sounds really tempting. I even have an 03 jetta to trade. If only I didn't have one too many Evos already
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SlyMR8
Looking for the best way to reroute the valve cover connections to help with blow-by to either a catch can or K&N breathers? Here are some pics of the current setup. Looking for advice on the correct way to do this. I have the AMS 50 trim turbo kit and does not have a port to reconnect one of the hoses back into the turbo like stock setup.
It should run:
Breather hole>catch can>intake
Same goes for the rear one except you don't connect it to the intake but back to the crank case holes (or at least I think it's the crank case holes, too tired to look it up).

Breathers are only useful for covering the hole. They do close to nothing except filter what's blowing out of the hole. I still remember when I had that same exact one you have. When I touched it, it was covered in oil. Didn't make much sense since breather holes need vacuum... Whatever the case is, breather holes need vacuum. Hooking it straight to a catch can isn't going to do much if there isn't vacuum.

Last edited by Piro Fyre; Jun 24, 2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:09 AM

Catch can hose routing

Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
It should run:
Breather hole>catch can>intake
Same goes for the rear one except you don't connect it to the intake but back to the crank case holes (or at least I think it's the crank case holes, too tired to look it up).

Breathers are only useful for covering the hole. They do close to nothing except filter what's blowing out of the hole. I still remember when I had that same exact one you have. When I touched it, it was covered in oil. Didn't make much sense since breather holes need vacuum... Whatever the case is, breather holes need vacuum. Hooking it straight to a catch can isn't going to do much if there isn't vacuum.

I did some more research and found this cool dual catch can that should work perfect for the Evo. Its made buy Saikou Michi dual catch can model DC3. My only problem is getting the breather on the front of the valve cover (drivers side) to pull vacuum, as the car is currently setup with an AMS turbo kit which eliminates the nipple to the turbo intake side like stock. The PCV to catch can and back to the intake manifold will pull vacuum, but not the breather.

The car is going back to AMS for a much needed once over and re-tune on Monday, so I guess I could see if they could weld on a nipple to pull vacuum if that would work best?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

As long as the breather holes have vacuum, you should be fine. The way the DC3 setup is, you would need that nipple on the intake but you can talk to AMS about routing it differently. AMS might route it to the manifold instead of the intake but as long as you have vacuum, you should be fine.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
As long as the breather holes have vacuum, you should be fine. The way the DC3 setup is, you would need that nipple on the intake but you can talk to AMS about routing it differently. AMS might route it to the manifold instead of the intake but as long as you have vacuum, you should be fine.
Is there any problems with running a vacuum source off the turbo air intake pipe with a bigger turbo? This way I would have two vacuum sources for the dual catch can setup.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SlyMR8
Is there any problems with running a vacuum source off the turbo air intake pipe with a bigger turbo? This way I would have two vacuum sources for the dual catch can setup.
I don't know about this. I don't see a problem but AMS can tell you if it's good or not.

Is anyone hiring around here? Been jobless for the last month...

Otherwise, if anyone wants me to, I can re-arrange your rear diff to have some power over steer (check this thread out if you don't know about it yet). Just took apart my diff and it really wasn't that hard. Sorry for the lame advertisement but I need money. :\
Old Jul 1, 2011, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

Whoa! Pretty interesting. I'd like to have that done on mine...or shouldn't Mitsubishi issue a recall or something?

Or maybe they did it intentionally so us stupid Americans (see Toyota unintended acceleration billions of losses) wouldn't complain about the clunks coming from the rear diff. Still...

It's not easy protecting morons from themselves I guess
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Well, some of my friction discs/plates are damaged.... Went to Tri-City and it was $75 to $95 a plate so the total came out to be over $300. Screw that. I decided to order these:
http://www.weirperformance.com/maxgriplsdkits.html
Contacted the guy and he said it's 100% compatible and comes with instructions. Changes your rear diff to a 12 plate so it locks up better. I'm definitely writing a review for this guy after I install and test drive it. If all goes well, I would want to install this kit on other Evos around the area. So far, I'm just going off the AE86 guys that have his Maxlock diff and praises them for being up on par with more expensive LSDs and these guys drift.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 02:07 PM

I've got a thought, see what you guys think. I've decided I want the Evo XI, if it comes out. So why not sell my current evo and get the most out of it rather than later and buy a beater truck that I already want.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Will you be happy driving a beater truck for 1.5-2 years? I don't think I could do it

I don't know about you, but I've been absolutely sure I was going to buy ____ car only to change my mind about 10 times in the last six months. Plus new cars are coming out all the time in an ever increasingly competitive marketplace.

Come with me and we'll get coyote 5.0 mustangs, we'll probably get a better deal since we're buying two cars...I'm only half joking.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 08:36 AM

I agree, I wouldn't be happy simply driving a truck and a scrion for that long. As for new options, I'm, for now, only interested in awd, 4 door, no clutch (hate driving in rush hour traffic) practical family car. Which leaves me with literally one option under $50k.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LAo_pRiNCe
I've got a thought, see what you guys think. I've decided I want the Evo XI, if it comes out. So why not sell my current evo and get the most out of it rather than later and buy a beater truck that I already want.
Evos are dropping like flies on here...
Old Jul 7, 2011, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A nice AWD auto would be an IS250, BMW-XI, or how about an Audi? Tons of options out there. See....IS250 = family car...

Last edited by Jeff_Jeske; Jul 7, 2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 02:06 PM

Hahaha, nice one. I've driven the IS250 AWD, nowhere near as fun to drive compared to the evo. As for euro cars, I never like the idea of paying 3x as much to repair compared to an import. But I am willing to buy that IS250, only if the girls included.

Last edited by LAo_pRiNCe; Jul 7, 2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 02:09 PM

Think I'll keep the evo until I trade it in for something. Now I'm looking for a cheap truck to use for haul crap around.

Quick Reply: Milwaukee - America's Drunkest Evo Owners