Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Milwaukee - America's Drunkest Evo Owners

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2006, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fireball
If you order it through Gruppe-S, you won't see it till around Christmas...... 2009.

Order it through forcedperformance.com or something like that. They're all about $250.
+1 i have heard that gruppe-s takes forever with parts. The install isn't difficult if you look at the turbo. There is a clamp that holds the compressor side and the hotside together that you can lossen with a 10mm i think....looks simple as pie! I will help for wings and beer!
Old Jan 31, 2006, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you do the hotside remember to get an oil drain gasket for the turbo and oil pan. Had to do this when I installed my new turbo, f'er pissed out 2qt of oil, new gasket and it hasn't leaked yet.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

gaskets shanaskets!

yea... I got nothin productive to add to the thread today.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone got a good site I can order it from?

Fireball, that site you posted is delinquent on their domain registration payments
Old Jan 31, 2006, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dryad001
If you do the hotside remember to get an oil drain gasket for the turbo and oil pan. Had to do this when I installed my new turbo, f'er pissed out 2qt of oil, new gasket and it hasn't leaked yet.
Oil pan gasket? Maybe I'm not picturing this right in my head. I'll take a look in the manual to see what's going down. I just want to make sure I can do this all right since it's my only car and would have to this on a weekend and have it going by a Monday.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Here we go. Which parts are you referring to dryad001?

Old Jan 31, 2006, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

After doing some more reading I don't know if the 10.5 is really worth it. I'm not looking for a higher end and don't want to give up any spool up time. It's just a preference of mine.

Also, with as much work that is to put in you might as well do the whole damn turbo
Old Jan 31, 2006, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

I am contemplating the 10.5 hotside also. I will have multiple parts installed after winter and i think i might as well slap a 10.5 while its under the knife. I have purchased a SAFC- II along with a Samco 7-hose I/C kit so far. I will also install (but still need to purchase) HKS 272/272s, ARP studs, HKS EVC 5 EBC, Walboro, and a Innovate LC-1/XD-1 Wideband 02 sensor.
Sound like a good list? I think this will provide an adequate power upgrade for the time being, and i believe the 10.5 hotside would be much worth it when installing all the other parts. Also do you think the wideband is worth it?
Old Jan 31, 2006, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Mike by looking at the diagram N10 and N11 are the gaskets you will need. If spool is what you are worried about don't be. I came from a 9.8 and the 10.5 is a nice upgrade. Now it maybe that the turbine is a little upgraded but my spool time I think decreased and the power went up as well. I think it all depends on what your future plans are, is it something that could benefit you long term or just short term?

RED- if you have nothing to do tomorrow come on over so I can get my HKS out of my car and in your hands.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dryad001
Mike by looking at the diagram N10 and N11 are the gaskets you will need. If spool is what you are worried about don't be. I came from a 9.8 and the 10.5 is a nice upgrade. Now it maybe that the turbine is a little upgraded but my spool time I think decreased and the power went up as well. I think it all depends on what your future plans are, is it something that could benefit you long term or just short term?

RED- if you have nothing to do tomorrow come on over so I can get my HKS out of my car and in your hands.
I do feel that it would benefit me long term since I don't really have any plans on upgrading my turbo unless the stock one broke/died and I needed to.

Here is another question. I don't have the walbro and I was tuned by Al without it and am running fine. If I get and install the hotside will this affect that by making me need a fuel pump? If I need a pump and get a pump then my tune will be all out of whack...and I don't want that.

I found this: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...e+install+tips

****, those sensors look liek a PITA

Last edited by laakness; Feb 1, 2006 at 06:28 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Morning fochers!

You know something interesting about fuel systems? When ATP did there testing on their turbo kits, they never had a problem with the stock fuel system. They didn't even replace the intank pump.

On evom there is no evidence that an aftermarket pump is needed. Most call it cheap insurance and most say you'll need it. But when asked, no one will ever back it up with numbers. It's the same way with IC's. Big blingy ICs are needed, but really there's no numbers to prove it. (At least that I've seen.)

laak, get the hotside. You'll kick yourself in hindsight. Once you do it, you'll say thank god I did it!
Old Feb 1, 2006, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bolsen
Morning fochers!

You know something interesting about fuel systems? When ATP did there testing on their turbo kits, they never had a problem with the stock fuel system. They didn't even replace the intank pump.

On evom there is no evidence that an aftermarket pump is needed. Most call it cheap insurance and most say you'll need it. But when asked, no one will ever back it up with numbers. It's the same way with IC's. Big blingy ICs are needed, but really there's no numbers to prove it. (At least that I've seen.)

laak, get the hotside. You'll kick yourself in hindsight. Once you do it, you'll say thank god I did it!
Alright! You, Fireball, dryad001, and Nez have convinced me. I'll do it.

Now I just have to find a good site to order it from that is still online
Old Feb 1, 2006, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Rise and shine, yet another day to toss away!
Old Feb 1, 2006, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Theres a few vendors in the classifieds that have them in stock, saw 2 yesterday.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fireball
I think the difference in the tune would be very minor, compared to the gain that you'd get with the 10.5 hotside.
Wouldn't this depend on the method of boost control used?

If you have an MBC or EBC no problem, but if the flash is controlling your boost then you may need to have that changed because I beleive the ECU controls wastegate duty cycle rather than boost numbers.

Laakness, I have no idea what your boost control method is, and I could very well be wrong about it. Someone with more experience should chime in.... Dryad?

Last edited by the-moss; Feb 1, 2006 at 07:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Milwaukee - America's Drunkest Evo Owners